General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, gladi said:

Tuna?! ...... *backs off*...... *goes to backread*

Muffins...kobe beef...stuffed panda plushies (they have ones dressed as doraemon and spiderman), pooh tum tums, I mean gee we're only thanking you for translating, would electronic/digital versions work, if you can't manage the real ones? At least accept the digital versions before we try to send you the real ones. >=D

@kaeryth: the way Brian said it, I guess Yuzu is going to bring the 4Lz this season. It's kind of like Yuzu and his team were hesitating whether they will add the 4Lz, and the experience at ACI more or less confirmed that Yuzu can't go with a dumbed down LP-he has to go with a harder LP, otherwise it's no fun or him, and he loses steam to fight. 

@Joey: I don't get the accusations either. There were standing ovations for more than just japanese skaters. Most of the clean programs got standing ovations, even from the Japanese and Yuzu fans. Haters just conveniently forgot that. A lot of the benches were more likely to be empty at times when you'd expect them to be empty- during times when people were more likely to be looking for food, during the sessions where the non-top skaters were skating, late at night to catch the last busses etc,  but usually by the time you got to the final group seats were all filled. Fans are human, not everyone has the physical (butt) muscles to sit on a cold hard bench for 15 hours straight, nor the concentration levels either.

This is why I get disgusted at other forums at times- yes I'm a fan of Yuzu, but I also skate, I've followed figure skating for over 20 years, it's disrespectful to dismiss that, and consider that I follow Yuzu cause he's cute (sure he is, but dismissing is skating skills is also disrespectful to him). 

20 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

This is a competitive sport at the highest level, not kindergarten games. You shine by performing at the highest level and performing well. There is literally nothing that stops all the others skaters from performing in such a way. If they do not do so, then they are not capable of it (currently or at all) and that is simply life. This is not in any way, shape or form Yuzuru Hanyu's fault, nor Yuzuru Hanyu's fans fault.

It does not in any way fall on Yuzuru Hanyu's shoulders to make sure other people can "shine" nor does he, or his fans, somehow eliminate "a fair chance" for them to do so.

The presence of Yuzuru Hanyu, or Yuzuru Hanyu fans, does not, in any way, impede a fair competition and frankly, I really find it highly problematic that something like that is even being suggested.

Not to mention that Yuzuru Hanyu fans have always made sure to appropriately reward and cheer his competitors, as was more than evident as recently as ACI. Something that cannot always be said the other way around by the way, especially at Japanese Nationals.

:iagree:Yuzu got his share of being in someone shadow. Heck didn't he get booed when he won the nationals the first time? 

2 hours ago, Pamigena said:

Well IIRC, someone did gift him a tuna once :biggrin: (I don't remember who. Not a fan but some sponsor or something). And we're not talking canned but entire blue tuna. (there was a whole discussion about how many hundred kg that thing can have and how many thousands of $$ it can cost :rofl:)

and that would be so bad because we all know how much he despises kids and doesn't pay any extra attention at all to them :biggrin:

Lol well there's that. I guess it ain't too bad if it makes it more likely my letter will get on top of the priority list ^^

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

This is why I get disgusted at other forums at times- yes I'm a fan of Yuzu, but I also skate, I've followed figure skating for over 20 years, it's disrespectful to dismiss that, and consider that I follow Yuzu cause he's cute (sure he is, but dismissing is skating skills is also disrespectful to him). 

Quotes for truth!  Yuzu looks aren't even what makes me a fan. I don't care what he looks like. I care what he skates like! And if he can skate clean and get world records, what's so wrong about admiring that? That's something to talk about!  He is one of the best jumpers this sport has ever seen while having the total package to boot. What's so wrong with marveling at the results of that hard work? 

2 hours ago, Pamigena said:

Well IIRC, someone did gift him a tuna once :biggrin: (I don't remember who. Not a fan but some sponsor or something). And we're not talking canned but entire blue tuna. (there was a whole discussion about how many hundred kg that thing can have and how many thousands of $$ it can cost :rofl:)

and that would be so bad because we all know how much he despises kids and doesn't pay any extra attention at all to them :biggrin:

OHHHHH it's you pami XD you're the source of tuna. XD *found. mind at rest*

19 minutes ago, Xen said:

Muffins...kobe beef...stuffed panda plushies (they have ones dressed as doraemon and spiderman), pooh tum tums, I mean gee we're only thanking you for translating, would electronic/digital versions work, if you can't manage the real ones? At least accept the digital versions before we try to send you the real ones. >=D

Tuna muffins received thanks XD There's an article coming up that came alongside! Not so much new materials, but a nice write-up all the same.

tuna-muffins-1-of-11.jpg?w=1800

14 minutes ago, Xen said:

yes I'm a fan of Yuzu, but I also skate, I've followed figure skating for over 20 years, it's disrespectful to dismiss that, and consider that I follow Yuzu cause he's cute (sure he is, but dismissing is skating skills is also disrespectful to him). 

Exactly but it's just a part of wider narrative that has been going around for quite some time now.

You're a Yuzuru Hanyu fan thus - you do not actually like skating itself; you do not like him for his skating; you only watch him and no-one else, you do not cheer appropriately for others, etc. All of this is used to create an enviorment where once you have an opinion, it is summarily dismissed with a 'you're a Yuzuru Hanyu fan' because all of the above means that your opinion is of no worth. 

And then, more broadly, there is the idea that somehow Yuzuru Hanyu fans are a negative influence on skating, and then that gets extended to Yuzuru Hanyu himself being a negative influence, and all sorts of stuff starts being excused with that.

If there is a reduction of tickets for Yuzuru fans (am not saying there is or there isn't but hypothetically speaking) then it should not be justified and brushed away by this very same narrative because Yuzuru Hanyu also deserves a fair competition. This should not in any way be forgotten. Nobody is going to create a more 'fair' enviorment by eliminating Yuzuru Hanyu fans. At the same time, it is actually an interesting question, especially keeping history in mind, what type of atmosphere would be created if they were for the most part not present?

I'm sorry but I've been around for way too long, as a skating and Yuzuru fan, to let this narrative just pass through. 

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

Putting it in the skater's gift box is probably the best option to deliver your letter to Yuzu. Because we can see him and his team bringing back the bags of letters and gifts in various news clips aired after various competitions. Even when they can’t bring back all the stuffed animals, they take time to pick up the letters attached to them and make a list of address of the senders, and again take the time to reply each of them, even if it takes years. I know this from seeing various examples.
JSF also transfers the letters they received to Yuzu, as Brian said in his interview. However, sending a letter via JSF would take a little more time because they would wait until they have a certain amount of letters until they send them to TCC.
I’m sure he would appreciate the letter from you.

I actually dropped my letter after the SP, so i included a note thanking him for that performance :embSwan: 

I didn't write my address, i just wanted to deliver my letter :sadPooh: i hope he reads it, i'd like to think i have a chance since it was a small competition and not everyone there sent him a letter. 

39 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

he said 4A again...

:crazyshit2:

9 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Quotes for truth!  Yuzu looks aren't even what makes me a fan. I don't care what he looks like. I care what he skates like! And if he can skate clean and get world records, what's so wrong about admiring that? That's something to talk about!  He is one of the best jumpers this sport has ever seen while having the total package to boot. What's so wrong with marveling at the results of that hard work? 

I can't see how someone can be a fan of just his looks, i'm sure they exist but i can't wrap my head around it. I mean, you cannot see him in detail while he's skating, and personally i only concentrate on what he's doing on the ice rather than thinking of how cute he looks (that comes afterwards on the K&C, the Memelord's grounds). He's a fantastic skater and it's such an experience to watch him in action, that saying that we only follow him for his looks is like they are the ones ignoring how great he is as an athlete. I've liked many for their looks and i wouldn't even THINK of travelling so much just to see them.

5 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Exactly but it's just a part of wider narrative that has been going around for quite some time now.

You're a Yuzuru Hanyu fan thus - you do not actually like skating itself; you do not like him for his skating; you only watch him and no-one else, you do not cheer appropriately for others, etc. All of this is used to create an enviorment where once you have an opinion, it is summarily dismissed with a 'you're a Yuzuru Hanyu fan' because all of the above means that your opinion is of no worth. 

And then, more broadly, there is the idea that somehow Yuzuru Hanyu fans are a negative influence on skating, and then that gets extended to Yuzuru Hanyu himself being a negative influence, and all sorts of stuff starts being excused with that.

If there is a reduction of tickets for Yuzuru fans (am not saying there is or there isn't but hypothetically speaking) then it should not be justified and brushed away by this very same narrative because Yuzuru Hanyu also deserves a fair competition. This should not in any way be forgotten. Nobody is going to create a more 'fair' enviorment by eliminating Yuzuru Hanyu fans. At the same time, it is actually an interesting question, especially keeping history in mind, what type of atmosphere would be created if they were for the most part not present?

I'm sorry but I've been around for way too long, as a skating and Yuzuru fan, to let this narrative just pass through. 

I get that narrative, but I don't endorse the logic behind it. Guess now it's a bit too late to ask how to fight against that, since proclaiming my love of Todd Eldredge's 3A, love for Kurt Browning's footwork, and demonstrating proper understanding of counters, rockers and brackets seemingly don't do anything. 

7 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

And isn't it frustrating? Heck, I even saw people dismiss someone like Max Ambesi just for his open love for Yuzu's skating. Yuzu has a huge fandom, are there people in between who really only like him for his looks and don't care for his athletic achievements & skating, or don't care about skating itself? Likely. But it's never fair to judge the majority of fans just by a few "bad apples". And those pushing that stamp onto all his fans, well.... it shows that it is difficult for a lot of people to handle Yuzus popularity - from those just honestly feeling overrun by a hype they personally don't get (which is fine and "their right") to those just flat out bitter.

It also just makes no sense to me because I got the vibe that Yuzu sort of...set a good example (cheering for other skaters/good sportsmanship) and his fans kinda follow that. obviously there will be some exceptions but considering there were times yuzu came out to skate and was met with nothing, no cheering, barely any polite applause and now generally crowds applaud and cheer/encourage every skater I donlt get where these kinds of accusations come from. At 4CC i'd say a majority of the crowd was there for Hanyu but the stands were pretty much full from beginning to end and every single skater was greeted by the crowd. 

Yuzuru is very cute, yes, it makes him very marketable but he is popular first and foremost because of his skating. People dont invest time in someone if they don't enjoy what they do just because they are pretty. I was interested in him because I liked the way he skated, not because he's cute. But...I guess Yuzu has a big female following, so of course other *cough MALE cough) skating fans will discredit that as being nothing more than shallowness and go on to discredit Yuzu's value as a great skater. blagh.

i dont doubt yuzu being pretty helps popularity among say the general public but they arent the people buying tickets and travelling to see him compete. 

13 minutes ago, Xen said:

I get that narrative, but I don't endorse the logic behind it. Guess now it's a bit too late to ask how to fight against that, since proclaiming my love of Todd Eldredge's 3A, love for Kurt Browning's footwork, and demonstrating proper understanding of counters, rockers and brackets seemingly don't do anything. 

It's actually reasonably successful, unfortunately and yes, there's nothing you can do about it. I mean as an example, I guess I watch JGP because I expect Yuzuru to Benjamin Button himself? And into a girl no less? :shrug:

10 minutes ago, Joey said:

it shows that it is difficult for a lot of people to handle Yuzus popularity - from those just honestly feeling overrun by a hype they personally don't get (which is fine and "their right") to those just flat out bitter.

I think the popularity thing is really a big issue but at the same time, I don't think they quite get how that works. You cannot create that type of popularity. It comes from a mixture of personality and skill in their field, but also that unidentifiable X factor that a person simply has and all of that being present at the right moment. No amount of pushing, PR or twisting is going to create that. People would bottle it and sell it at ludicrous amounts but it is just not possible. Another thing that cannot be done is stifling it. Ah well. 

The Rostelecom cup has been noticed on the family calendar with a degree of startlement followed by amusement.  No.2 son is going to find me a cable to watch it on the TV screen instead of my iPad which will be a big help and puts him in my good books for the rest of the season

5 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

It's actually reasonably successful, unfortunately and yes, there's nothing you can do about it. I mean as an example, I guess I watch JGP because I expect Yuzuru to Benjamin Button himself? And into a girl no less? :shrug:

Well, it's not physically possible, but according to the microsoft program, Yuzu would make a lovely teenage girl. :headdesk:

But I also suspect he's going to stick around till 2020, if anything because I don't see any japanese junior men ready to take up the challenge among the senior men yet. Shoma will be lonely at the top if Yuzu r*****.