General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, beki said:

You know what is super sweet about this? It means Yuzu agreed to try things Brian's way once again (he was right about resting between the short and free in Helsinki), which he resisted when he was younger. But now it turns out Yuzu can only go his own way... I'm not surprised watering down doesn't make him more consistent. We shouldn't be afraid of the 4Lz. 

I actually have a quite optimistic feeling about baby 4Lz:goe:

6 minutes ago, beki said:

You know what is super sweet about this? It means Yuzu agreed to try things Brian's way once again (he was right about resting between the short and free in Helsinki), which he resisted when he was younger. But now it turns out Yuzu can only go his own way... I'm not surprised watering down doesn't make him more consistent. We shouldn't be afraid of the 4Lz. 

I was pretty sure of his success rate with the 4Lz ever since that leak from Tsuzuki (spelling?), so the issue was just whether he will add or not add twizzles. But ACI experience probably sealed the deal for him-he's discovered that he cannot contain his quads, and if he tries he pops anyways. Might as well balance stuff out and go for it. Now it's just a case of working with his team to figure out how to balance out his health and training, and when to bring it out. 

19 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Skating: 10

Personality: 9.5 (tho can get 10 now he's looking after himself better ;;)

Looks: Solid 9 (no one is perfect. needs a hairstyle lol)

His cute face piqued my interest, his skating gave me a reason to stan and made me interested in the sport, his personality is the thing that makes it impossible to ever escape loving him to pieces. 

:7938863: i totally agree!

The first time I saw him is when I watched him skate to Hana wa Saku on NHK World Channel. I was literally :knc_tracy1:I was in such a trance my grandmother blocked the tv and informed me that the program was over (thinking back that's so embarrassing).

IBased on some studies it is fairly natural to start liking a person by physical appearance. Eventually that physical attraction will deepen until there are more reasons you like that person and not just on a physical level only. With that said Yuzuru is indeed good looking but to be honest there are men far more attractive than him. But to like a person it depends on personal preferences. The definition of handsome in my book is how a man carry himself, his upbringing, how he get along with others, the general aura he radiates that's why Yuzu is so click for me:tumblr_inline_mzx8xsVPrg1r8msi5:

Having finally caught up with the thread, I have a confession to make and perhaps a new perspective to offer. While I have been VERY casually watching figure skating for years - meaning, if I stumbled upon it on TV, I'd watch it, but never cared enough to look up skaters, rules, schedules etc. - it was only at GPF last year - when I also, more or less accidentally stumbled upon it on TV and under the influence of having recently watched YoI - although I don't consider myself a fan as I didn't really like it that much - and that of my Japanese teacher who is a bit of a Yuzu fan, that I finally watched Yuzu skate. I actually think I saw Shoma first? And liked him... But Yuzu stole the show. Even with the imperfections.

I had - and to some extent still have - my preconceptions and pet peeves about men's figure skating, that prevented me from really getting into it. But seeing Yuzu, I thought "THIS is perfect". As in, perfectly aligned to my aesthetics. Not from his looks pov, but the whole package, the grace, the skating, the movements, and yes also his figure and even his costume. I knew nothing about the technicalities of skating, but to me, he was everything I didn't know I wanted in order to make me watch and enjoy men's figure skating. The downside of that is that every other male skater I see, I compare to him and invariably find lacking. (Again, this is my aesthetics. No idea about skills, abilities etc.) So, aside from Javi, whom I support by association and because I like him personality wise, though I also enjoy most of his skating; but compared to Yuzu, I find him lacking, too - I don't really support anyone else. I'm also not extremely willing to put in a lot of effort to see them. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I'd be openly disrespectful. It doesn't mean I wouldn't applaud and cheer a good performance, a successful skate, a good jump, or even just a skater that looks like they're really giving their all. I might come in late or leave at times, depending on how my body can handle it - and from my music festival experience last year, I've learned not to care so much, because some things you just can't help like, "yes, I actually sat down during Yoshiki's Art of Life piano solo, but I felt like screaming with my how badly my feet hurt, so shoot me", kind of thing ^_^; - but I wouldn't be there in the first place if not for Yuzu. (Well, that is assuming I will go to a live skating event :P I'm actually somewhat terrified of World's because it seems like an actual marathon of skating and I have no idea how I would survive that. But if I have to skip some performances, I'll try to do it in the most respectful way I can. *shrugs*)

Oh as for Yuzu's looks, [blasphemy] I actually don't even think he's that good looking [/blasphemy]. More seriously, like pretty much everyone, he has moments when he is gorgeous and moments when he looks more :crazyshit2: and moments when he's adorable and that's fine and normal.  But anyone who likes him just for that is missing out on a ton of stuff. Even leaving aside the skating - which would be stupid in itself, because he IS skating - there's that amazing personality. Or well, what we know of it, but that's really awesome already. But to each their own I guess lol

I've seen this Chinese saying (on weibo) - one starts being a fandom because of looks, gets stuck there because of talent, and then loyally stays there because of character. Yuzuru's cute looks have definitely ensnared many fans, but if he were not as brilliant and awesome as he is, his legions of fans would have moved on to the next pretty face already. :10742290: And there are so many pretty faces around especially in this Internet age where anybody from any part of the globe can get their face on the net. 

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

*mulls your words over* Okay, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said the last bit about Nats and ACI. I may have gotten a bit carried away with my line of thought there. It wasn't what I meant to imply but I see how derogatory it could come off to fans, and hypocritical seeing as I'm a fan myself. So I'll take it back.

And I did some more thinking on the whole issue. I see how bad it looks for JSF from the perspective of Hanyu fans and how it can be taken as a slight against them what with the host being Nagoya and they have a horse in the race themselves that they desperately want to prop up against Hanyu's overwhelming popularity and support. And yes, it's quite likely there's a fair bit of that, as well. They want to give Uno as much home ground advantage as possible, and given that they *are* the FS capital of Japan, perhaps JSF is letting them have their way.

Anyway, yes. I concede that the whole GPF organization thing does stink of politics but there really isn't anything jaded fans aren't already expecting, I don't think. If the latest fiasco is not allowing gifts to be thrown and banners to be put up, it stands to reason that these apply to not just Hanyu, but the other 5 as well. Which means Uno fans will also have to refrain, right? And say if some alternate reality takes place and neither Hanyu nor Uno make it to the finals, the rules would still be in place, right? Cos it'd be blatant double-standard otherwise to which even my natural penchant for giving the benefit of the doubt won't be able to hold out against.

But so long as they are keeping it fair across the board and not just apply them to Hanyu fans, I still don't see the point of complaining. Because as long as these rules apply to everyone, I still don't perceive what JSF is doing as unreasonable. I'm not advocating for them, but it hasn't crossed the threshold into blatant double-standardry yet. 

As for the magazine/periodical thing, I have thoughts on it as well but don't want to carelessly share them in case I'm missing some facts and end up stepping on some innocent toes like I did earlier. Is the embargo happening only for this season or is it a rule of thumb from here on out, even if Hanyu were to decide to go on another season? Like, is it something that applies to all skaters: no featuring  more than 50% of just a single skater? 

I would like to point out that my comment wasn't so much about the magazine/banner/gift topic, but really about the perception of Yuzu fans in general, and how much of that isn't true. The other stuff... well those aren't that big to me either. Gifts and banners are usually fun, but if the venue doesn't support it, it is what it is - and as you say, it's not just against Yuzu gifts/banners. Topics were it gets 'hotter' are those like ticket distribution - there were rumors regarding older events in Nagoya that they managed to distribute their tickets very specifically to locales, making it even harder for fans of non-local skaters to get there, and therefor skewing the audience very much to the benefit of specific skaters. I don't even think that those would be such rare occasions or only happening in Japan. And yes, me being 'an old jaded fan', I honestly expect less Yuzu fans to be able to make it to the GPF (and to a lesser extent nats) then NHK. And then there are those old rumors and issues that fans of other skaters tried to block Yuzu fans from making it to his competitions by buying tickets and then either not going or not clapping/cheering for Yuzu at all (the part with people going to a comp and then not clapping for Yuzu at all is definitely true, happened more then once in Japanese competitions between 2012-14). So there is also a lot of baggage there. The fact that some BS is being done doesn't help (like the mentioned pictures that are faked to make Shomas jumps look bigger - and the responsible people don't learn, there are new once, just as badly done, from Lombardia) - just makes it easier to question everything else too. It's one big mud hole at this point.

Pfff why in the world would you be a fan of someone just because that person has good looks :slinkaway: 

For me it was first of all his skating and then his personality that turned me into a fan... I was mesmerized by his skating and it was the skating that made go "woah" :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Then of course you discover he is actually crazy handsome and you are lost completely :biggrin:  

I wish I could recall the exact moment, the turning point, when I went fully crazy hehe :laughing: I think it was that adorable moment at WTT gala when he shouted "Arigatou..." at the top of his lungs and it was the cutest thing ever :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:  My heart was thoroughly melted by The Swan at that time and... the rest is history :biggrin: