General Yuzuru Chat

Takeshi Honda often says that jumps with speed and distance is more difficult than higher jumps because the former has more momentum going into the jump than the latter and the momentum makes it difficult to maintain your axis (I guess it pulls you backwards…not sure though.) The jumps of Gabby and Midori look very high and wild sometimes but they also have speed and distance, aren’t they? I saw Gabby’s 3T-3T in WTT and it was huge in terms of distance too. It almost covered the length of the short side of the rink, like Han Yan’s 3A. I think whether you can maintain the tight axis or not is more crucial than whether your jump is high or not.

(I edited the "tight air position" to "tight axis" because it was a mistake.

Oh no that one was correct, I thought you were asking whether small jumps are harder to control than higher jumps.

Though I would also argue even if that is the general understanding, it is not always the case. I'd say Mao's jumps are pretty high but sometimes does not really have the distance but some other skaters who has more distance than height (like Satoko) would be much better and more consistent to control their axis, so it is not only dependent on height and distance when you are talking about the ability of a skater to maintain their axis. I think generally, when comparing between 2 huge jumps, those who have more distance would have the tendency to go off-axis more than those who jump high but barely travels.

Height is the defining factor of a successful quad as long as they're not the Axel. All Yuzuru's quads are all very high. That's why when you don't get enough height, you have to cheat like *someone* and land with bad body alignment.

But one more thing, the speed going into the jumps has effect on the distance of the jumps. Mao's jumps have ok height but not the distance and she often UR because she slowed down a lot before her jumps. Yuna's jumps have good distance because she throw herself into the jumps. For Satoko, it's easier to land her jumps when they're 30 cm above the ice.

The point is, Quad Axel is not some normal quads. It's not the kind you get enough height and you get it done. Some skaters can slow down before usual quads like 4T and still get the 4T done. But 4A? You need both crazy height and insane speed.

(That's why I laugh at people saying Shoma can get the 4A. Please... he doesn't get enough height for normal quads and have to rotate almost one revolution on ice...)

..late coming online today and thank you all for this very interesting and helpful talk about height/distance in jumps!

And...happy first week!! :pbow: :pbow: :pbow: :yay:

Happy 1 Week Anniversary :space: :pbow: :yay:

yummy --> http://imgur.com/a/9zNfy

Goddammit, now I want cake. *grumble grumble*

And we're over 10k comments in the forum! Good work, everyone!

Hehe, just wanted to say that too. How is this going to go once we have, like, actual news? :grin:

And we're over 10k comments in the forum! Good work, everyone!

And it's been only a week. And in the off season :devil:

ETA:[link=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_erFGrsEqIYjJBcnNqMmlFTEE]Happy birthday[/link], guitarist!

For the perspective - 10k is well over 660 pages in the old FF. In a week. LOL

Well, we had some news of sorts today. In an instagram. Yuzu's back in Toronto, remember?

I guess it is because we can discuss everything at the same time instead of waiting for the usual news->jump layout->costume->music selections->invisible convos->pics->fanart->repeat cycle :D

Well, we had some news of sorts today. In an instagram. Yuzu's back in Toronto, remember?

Doesn't really compare to Ice Show announcements, or an actual Ice Show, or GP announcements, or - behold - music choice... :grin:

Hehe, and at the other place, they thought we were bad. Now look at how bad we really are when we have free reign :devil:

Doesn't really compare to Ice Show announcements, or an actual Ice Show, or GP announcements, or - behold - music choice... :grin:

Hehe, and at the other place, they thought we were bad. Now look at how bad we really are when we have free reign :devil:

release-the-kraken-gif.gif

:rofl2:

I'm so bad that I've been regularly getting kicked out of the forum every ten minutes or so three nights already. Apparently, my company is corrupting for the innocent souls. :devil: