General Yuzuru Chat

Interesting. Higher jump will give you more time to control your momentum and land safely on one feet, maybe?

Patrick, Yuzuru have both the height and the distance in their jumps (Javi only has height and distance in the quads, his triples are meh). Especially, Yuzuru, he can jump higher 3A or longer 3A if he wants to. The 3A we are seeing Yuzuru doing today are not the best 3A he can do. Because all of his 3A now are performed in the second half of the program, out of difficult transitions and in combo. And those 3A of Yuzuru are already huge.

If you want a huge 3A from the beginning, without difficult transitions, with crazy height and distance, certainly Yuzuru can do it. He just does not do it. So I have no doubt he can even perform bigger 3A than he is doing now.

Agree that yuzu can have even further and higher 3A, we just don't see it as much since it's in the second half with complicated steps and combo.

Time to bring in the 12-seat spanning HUGE 3A of yuzu least anyone forget!

Credit: photographer yukata nagakubo (found on yuzusorbet's tumblr)[/size]

Also, with this, happy one week anniversary, fellow satellites of planet hanyu! :pooh:

Is there video of that Worlds 2015 gala practice spiral? Where Misha Ge grabs onto his foot? I've only see it in gif form.

you can find the video tittled (2015 World Championships Gala Highlights Produced by Misha Ge)

at the 1:33 mark

Is there video of that Worlds 2015 gala practice spiral? Where Misha Ge grabs onto his foot? I've only see it in gif form.

you can find the video tittled (2015 World Championships Gala Highlights Produced by Misha Ge)

Thank you. I love that video! :love:

But the gif is from another angle (and with a longer spiral), so it has to be from another video source, which I haven't been able to find anywhere.

Thank you! Found the video. Oh, the shenanigans! :rofl2:

Interesting. Higher jump will give you more time to control your momentum and land safely on one feet, maybe?

I actually think higher jump is much harder to control due to the possibility of getting yourself thrown off-axis (that also becomes higher). You can see this mostly with skaters who jump huge but do not have really "tight" air position like gabby daleman, midori ito for example. Their jumps are huge but wild. It is easier to control smaller jumps and become more consistent of landing it. Satoko and zhenya are consistent but their jumps are not necessarily huge too.

Takeshi Honda often says that jumps with speed and distance is more difficult than higher jumps because the former has more momentum going into the jump than the latter and the momentum makes it difficult to maintain your axis (I guess it pulls you backwards…not sure though.) The jumps of Gabby and Midori look very high and wild sometimes but they also have speed and distance, aren’t they? I saw Gabby’s 3T-3T in WTT and it was huge in terms of distance too. It almost covered the length of the short side of the rink, like Han Yan’s 3A. I think whether you can maintain the tight axis or not is more crucial than whether your jump is high or not.

(I edited the "tight air position" to "tight axis" because it was a mistake)

Skaters either jump very high (like many skaters in the past like Plushenko, Petrenko...) or very far Yuna Kim.

If you look at some old-fashioned skaters like like Voronov or Gachinski, they still jump high like in the old day. Look at his 3A here:

Jumping high is talked to help you maintain your axis very well. So if you want to stay straight in the air and not off-axis, jumping high might help. Maybe that's why Plushenko rarely messed up because he jumped high, not too far on the ice though. Nathan also jumps high, but the distance is not impressive.

However, when you jump that high, you have to cut the distance. Their jumps might be high, but the distance might be less than some later generation like Patrick, Yuzuru, Han Yan. These guys jump very far across the ice.

Patrick, Yuzuru have both the height and the distance in their jumps (Javi only has height and distance in the quads, his triples are meh). Especially, Yuzuru, he can jump higher 3A or longer 3A if he wants to. The 3A we are seeing Yuzuru doing today are not the best 3A he can do. Because all of his 3A now are performed in the second half of the program, out of difficult transitions and in combo. And those 3A of Yuzuru are already huge.

If you want a huge 3A from the beginning, without difficult transitions, with crazy height and distance, certainly Yuzuru can do it. He just does not do it. So I have no doubt he can even perform bigger 3A than he is doing now.

Thank you. Now I can understand more clearly about the relationship between height and distance. I’ve heard someone said that jump in figure skating is physics, and your post reminded me of law of conservation of mass. As for Yuzu, seeing his last jump in 4CC FS, yes, he can perform huge 3A even without much preparation.

I actually think higher jump is much harder to control due to the possibility of getting yourself thrown off-axis (that also becomes higher). You can see this mostly with skaters who jump huge but do not have really "tight" air position like gabby daleman, midori ito for example. Their jumps are huge but wild. It is easier to control smaller jumps and become more consistent of landing it. Satoko and zhenya are consistent but their jumps are not necessarily huge too.

I rmb this Japanese variety show hosted by Mitz and they had Noto-san, Sano-san etc and they compared Boyang and Yuzu's rotations? Smth abt Yuzu rotating faster initially so that he gets more time to adjust for landing? I may be wrong though. #rustymemory

Takeshi Honda often says that jumps with speed and distance is more difficult than higher jumps because the former has more momentum going into the jump than the latter and the momentum makes it difficult to maintain your axis (I guess it pulls you backwards…not sure though.) The jumps of Gabby and Midori look very high and wild sometimes but they also have speed and distance, aren’t they? I saw Gabby’s 3T-3T in WTT and it was huge in terms of distance too. It almost covered the length of the short side of the rink, like Han Yan’s 3A. I think whether you can maintain the tight axis or not is more crucial than whether your jump is high or not.

(I edited the "tight air position" to "tight axis" because it was a mistake.

Oh no that one was correct, I thought you were asking whether small jumps are harder to control than higher jumps.

Though I would also argue even if that is the general understanding, it is not always the case. I'd say Mao's jumps are pretty high but sometimes does not really have the distance but some other skaters who has more distance than height (like Satoko) would be much better and more consistent to control their axis, so it is not only dependent on height and distance when you are talking about the ability of a skater to maintain their axis. I think generally, when comparing between 2 huge jumps, those who have more distance would have the tendency to go off-axis more than those who jump high but barely travels.

The reason why people think it is him who can land it is because he jumps pretty big and he rotates fast. This is a jump that really needs height and that extra airtime. Speed can help you get more height, maybe, but it is height mostly that is needed to get this jump happening. Yuzu can jump 3A from a stand still and land (+fully rotate) it quite often, moreso than others who spend 1000 years setting up for their 3A and still flop it; so speed imo does not play much role as long as you can get the height needed. More speed can get you more distance too, though it does not necessarily mean you will get more airtime. I actually read the jump height analysis someone made, and airtime is highly dependent on the height, not the distance/speed. Those with similar height of their jump will get almost identical airtime, regardless of their speed.

Due to these, you can rule out those that jump small and those who do not rotate fast + have tight air position. Hence, not many people left available.

I also think you probably need lighter boots to make it happen.

When my high school physics apply in real life for the first time.... :xD:

(I edited the "tight air position" to "tight axis" because it was a mistake.

Oh no that one was correct, I thought you were asking whether small jumps are harder to control than higher jumps.

Though I would also argue even if that is the general understanding, it is not always the case. I'd say Mao's jumps are pretty high but sometimes does not really have the distance but some other skaters who has more distance than height (like Satoko) would be much better and more consistent to control their axis, so it is not only dependent on height and distance when you are talking about the ability of a skater to maintain their axis. I think generally, when comparing between 2 huge jumps, those who have more distance would have the tendency to go off-axis more than those who jump high but barely travels.

Sorry, my point was rather unclear in my first post. After seeing

I’ve been concerned about how they would control the momentum while landing 4A, because making full rotation would require huge momentum, so I simply thought that if the skater has enough height=air time, it might give him/her enough time to loosen up and prepare for the landing. But yes, there are many factors other than height and distance…

I hadn't really understood how dangerous going off-axis in the 4A would be until Yuzuru explained it. Here is an English-subbed video of the tv spot with the 4A animation: https://yuzufairy.blog/2017/05/06/yuzur ... b-dl-link/

I have to agree with everyone who says his voice and facial expressions showed a lot of confidence (at one point he had a sh*t-eating grin), and he may already have landed it.