General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, MssSwan said:

Nathan is a talented skater but the fact that his scores are so inflated really puts a wall between me and the possibility of me liking him, this overscore thing really piss me of so it's gonna be really difficult for me to like him even after Yuzuru retires :13877886:

I got around this by liking him for being a reasonably likeable young man off the ice, in interviews etc. I'll never like the scores he gets, so I try not to look too closely at that. 

Just now, rockstaryuzu said:

I got around this by liking him for being a reasonably likeable young man off the ice, in interviews etc. I'll never like the scores he gets, so I try not to look too closely at that. 

I like his personality though as person he looks like he's very cool to be around, my problem is with the athlete Nathan Chen not the person Nathan Chen I really try not to think about his scores that much but somethings I can help but to be a little angry about it 

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The spirit moves me to address the 'Yuzu's music is too Japanese' nonsense. mini rant ahead, be forewarned. 

I do not understand this issue at all. As in, I don't get why the music a skater chooses should make any difference to the marks. It's not the judges' job to have opinions on matters of taste - and that's all a music choice is, a matter of taste - that then somehow affect the scores they give a skater. It's the judges' job to score the skater on how well they skate along to the music that has been chosen for the program, to dispassionately and objectively grade the skater's performance. Whether a skater chooses Eminem or enka, the scoring criteria are the same according to the rulebook, or ought to be. 

So comments like the one made by Zhulin send me 'round the twist. They fly in the face of all logic and the scoring rules. Now, I do realize that when a judge is asked to score interpretation, that might be easier for them to do if it's a piece of music they've seen many times before, interpreted by many different skaters, and that ease of familiarity can be expected to affect the scores they give. BUT - a good judge who takes their job seriously should realize the inherent bias in this and strive to overcome it.  It's not like it's difficult to educate oneself about various musical cultures and styles - these days a Spotify subscription and a pair of earbuds should do the trick - so why on earth is this cultural bias still being used as a justification for anything? 

Not 3 months ago, a song sung mainly in Korean, by a Korean band, debuted at #1 on the  US Billboard Hot 100 (Life Goes On, by BTS - I 100% recommend to all to have a listen). If that's not proof that music is a universal language, I don't know what is. Even if a piece of music originates in a different culture from one's own, anyone with functioning ears ought to be able to hear the notes and enjoy the melody. Maybe they won't have the same imagery or nostalgic associations with the music that, say, a native of the culture in question would have, but it doesn't mean said music is unintelligible or that it can't be enjoyed or that the listener will get nothing from the experience. 

Music is non-verbal communication, just like body language. You don't need to speak the same language as someone to understand the message in a friendly smile or a clenched fist. Nor, then, do you need to be (for example) Japanese to appreciate the sounds of the biwa or the shamisen. Musical notes are musical notes, they sound the same in any language. An A# is an A#. A drumbeat is a drumbeat. 

In short, don't tell me any piece of music is 'unintelligible' because of its originating culture. Don't tell me I, as a westerner, can't possibly understand or enjoy music from other cultures, either. Both statements are sheer twaddle and fly in the face of what music is, full stop. Anyone saying FS judges give low scores 'because they didn't understand the music of another culture' is simply making excuses for laziness. 

I think yes, a choice of music can have an influence on a score, sort of, like a base value. A skater with moderate musical talent ought to limit itself to pieces easy to interpret, because there he/she can skate a really enjoyable program, but of course, the interpretation score cannot go as high as for a skater who manages to interpret with depth and variety of expression, and wholly with the music, a much more complex piece. When Krystian Zimerman cut and played Chopin's 1st Ballade for Yuzuru Hanyu, he did have a thicker touch to compensate for a skating rink's unavoidable reverberation, but rhythmically he did play it his way, which was Chopin's, with continuous variations on the rhythm, which very few other skaters than Yuzuru Hanyu could have internalised enough for an interpretation, and I think, no other would have had the skating skills to skate to, even Patrick Chan at his best — and of course this should reflect in skating skills mark too.

@Yuli

I do agree we are sort of involuntary accomplices of WTT going on, but I think @MssSwan has a point in pointing the fact WTT will have attendance. (And that thing of watching the Gala in cinemas!!! :curse:

This being said, I think even if cases in Japan are on the rise, there are much less there than in Western countries in general (and you can't imagine what some governments do to spread the virus). So, the viral charge in the arena is likely to be lower. But the lower, the better, and I think it is too much of a risk unless they have really thoroughly studied the air circulation in the arena, which I confess I doubt.

2 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I think yes, a choice of music can have an influence on a score, sort of, like a base value. A skater with moderate musical talent ought to limit itself to pieces easy to interpret, because there he/she can skate a really enjoyable program, but of course, the interpretation score cannot go as high as for a skater who manages to interpret with depth and variety of expression, and wholly with the music, a much more complex piece. When Krystian Zimerman cut and played Chopin's 1st Ballade for Yuzuru Hanyu, he did have a thicker touch to compensate for a skating rink's unavoidable reverberation, but rhythmically he did play it his way, which was Chopin's, with continuous variations on the rhythm, which very few other skaters than Yuzuru Hanyu could have internalised enough for an interpretation, and I think, no other would have had the skating skills to skate to, even Patrick Chan at his best — and of course this should reflect in skating skills mark too.

@Yuli

I do agree we are sort of involuntary accomplices of WTT going on, but I think @MssSwan has a point in pointing the fact WTT will have attendance. (And that thing of watching the Gala in cinemas!!! :curse:

This being said, I think even if cases in Japan are on the rise, there are much less there than in Western countries in general (and you can't imagine what some governments do to spread the virus). So, the viral charge in the arena is likely to be lower. But the lower, the better, and I think it is too much of a risk unless they have really thoroughly studied the air circulation in the arena, which I confess I doubt.

They're considering let people watch the Gala in a cinema I doubt they would pay attention to something so complicated such as analyze the air circulation in the arena, I just hope that if the competition indeed happens that we are gonna have better safety protocols than the ones we had in Stockholm :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Kat said:

.....I'm gonna say it. I'm not afraid of the day Yuzuru r*****s, because then I'll at least be done with the ISU

I use to low low key dread the possibility that I'd never be able to watch a new competitive performance by Yuzu one day, but now I too am resigned to that possibility.

The most important thing is Yuzu's happiness in doing what he loves to do, no? If competing no longer gives him joy then he is completely free to step away from it, and we'll love and support him for it as always... <3<3<3<3<3 

17 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I use to low low key dread the possibility that I'd never be able to watch a new competitive performance by Yuzu one day, but now I too am resigned to that possibility.

The most important thing is Yuzu's happiness in doing what he loves to do, no? If competing no longer gives him joy then he is completely free to step away from it, and we'll love and support him for it as always... <3<3<3<3<3 

Oh for sure. Even if/when he stops being competitive, I can easily envision him doing shows. Whatever he does, as you mention, we"ll support him. I just want him healthy so he can do all the things he wants. 

52 minutes ago, Yuli said:

This isn't the point, don't you see it? I didn't say anything about whether I think it should take place or not. It's just the point, that in my opinion one can not be mad about all the organizers and ISU/JSF and anybody and say, this event shouldn't take place and then on the other side watch it, be a fanyu and comment on every detail. 

Probably this is the wrong place for me :) Wish you all the best

Btw, worlds didn't become a superspreader event neither.

We dont know the final outcome about Worlds cos they did not have quarantine.

And If WC didnt become a superspreader,thats cos a) they got lucky its not more than the 2 or 3 who tested positive  b) some may be asymptomatic but we wouldnt know cos they are not required by their home countries to do the test unless they have symptoms. Some countries operate that way.

Because there were other International sporting events where athletes tested positive AFTER 7 days arriving at the competition venue. After testing negative upon arrival. They had bubble & all that. Fortunately, there was 7 days mandatory quarantine on all athletes participating.

In the context of WC, Sunday should have been the 7th day of quarantine, not the last day of competition.

These kind of things cannot be left to chance. There is a reason why countries impose 14 day mandatory quarantine upon arrival. 

1 hour ago, Yuli said:

Hmmm, yes, but still we all are crazy for each foto and every tiny information, so we are not better then they are... Honestly, everyone who says, this event shall not take place should  consequently doesn't watch and comment on anything about it. 

1 hour ago, Yuli said:

This isn't the point, don't you see it? I didn't say anything about whether I think it should take place or not. It's just the point, that in my opinion one can not be mad about all the organizers and ISU/JSF and anybody and say, this event shouldn't take place and then on the other side watch it, be a fanyu and comment on every detail. 

Probably this is the wrong place for me :) Wish you all the best

Btw, worlds didn't become a superspreader event neither.

Sometimes events don't become superspreaders, like Worlds (hopefully). But a large degree of that is based on luck, so the more such events you hold, the more likely you DO get a superspreader even if all the protocols are exactly the same. Even if the event is a complete bubble. Which it wasn't at Worlds, although there was still testing so that reduced the probability of contamination, so yes it is better than absolutely nothing. And for Worlds, it was an Olympic qualifying event. There was *some* importance to it. But WTT is nothing but a joke event made-for-TV where the skaters have to be contractually obligated to attend when invited because otherwise no one would go, and that just leaves a bad taste in the middle of the pandemic.

We're just a very angry bunch, I'm sorry to say :laughing: it's because we know that Yuzu has been hospitalized with just the flu before due to his asthma, and COVID is much worse than the flu. We know he's worried, he's been vocally opposed to competitions all year. And we know Yuzu never speaks up against the ISU, EVER. So we are just tired and angry and worried fans. So you'll find we're a little snippy here with regards to this topic. Hope that makes sense.

I just saw that he is competing, honestly I was sure he won't, looked at the entries to see if Nathan will have a chance for another WR... And suddenly I see Yuzu is there, huh :laughing: At least it means he's in good condition. And still time to WD and let Yuma go if he wants to.

1 minute ago, airi said:

I just saw that he is competing, honestly I was sure he won't, looked at the entries to see if Nathan will have a chance for another WR... And suddenly I see Yuzu is there, huh :laughing: At least it means he's in good condition. And still time to WD and let Yuma go if he wants to.

Yeah, why can't he withdraw? I know he always feels obligated to go. But maybe it's time to claim an injury or something. Sigh I know that's what I'd do and not how Yuzu operates.

10 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah, why can't he withdraw? I know he always feels obligated to go. But maybe it's time to claim an injury or something. Sigh I know that's what I'd do and not how Yuzu operates.

Maybe he really wants to, and not just feels obligated, there was so little skating this year (for a reason ofc, but still). We can't claim to know what he's thinking, I don't think I've seen him talk about this anywhere... I'm sure he can calculate the risk and won't go if that's what he decides :)

19 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

I think atheletes can only withdraw with proof of an injury/any other medical reason to withdraw. Siiiiiigh...

What's wrong with the NHK Trophy 2017 arena? Did something happen there back then? 

It was where all hell broke loose. NHK trophy 2017 was the event that took Yuzu out until PC.