General Yuzuru Chat

26 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Nothing disgusts me right now as much as Japan: organisers, Nagashima, JSF and every single person who is excited and is just considering buying tickets.

Hmmm, yes, but still we all are crazy for each foto and every tiny information, so we are not better then they are... Honestly, everyone who says, this event shall not take place should  consequently doesn't watch and comment on anything about it. 

5 minutes ago, Yuli said:

Hmmm, yes, but still we all are crazy for each foto and every tiny information, so we are not better then they are... Honestly, everyone who says, this event shall not take place should  consequently doesn't watch and comment on anything about it. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Japan is using the event as a way to check the processes and safeguards they want to implement for the Olympics. If they can't pull off WTT how will they manage the Olympics?

4 hours ago, mmmrazorz said:

And now Phil hersh is comparing Yuzu to Captain ahab..i don't think i will survive olympic season propaganda

That's a bit overblown...I doubt Yuzu is is anywhere near as obsessed as Captain Ahab. 4A is also probably not as murderous as Moby Dick proved to be in the end. 

4 hours ago, Ladysci said:

Seems like Yuzu will have to go to WTT >:(.  And Shoma too, not Yuma ! I'm really worried about him since Osaka is having a major spike in the number of Covid cases, about 50% with the UK variant!  Wonder if he was given no choice.  I thought he was "safe" from going when he landed in Tokyo, rather than Kansai.  I live close enough to Osaka to try for tickets, but since most Japanese have not been vaccinated, I think it's much to dangerous to hold an event that size and is totally irresponsible.

公益財団法人日本スケート連盟 (@skatingjapan) Tweeted:
世界フィギュアスケート国別対抗戦2021の日本代表選手が発表されました。
詳細は下記よりご覧ください。
https://t.co/jsZuPpJRG4

#羽生結弦 #宇野昌磨 #紀平梨花 #坂本花織 #三浦璃来 #木原龍一 #小松原美里 #小松原尊 (Tim KOLETO) #2021WTT #フィギュアスケート https://t.co/24FRTco75z https://twitter.com/skatingjapan/status/1377173536238759936?s=20

I'm under the impression that the local government in Osaka could well shut it down. 

3 hours ago, IceWings said:

Darn. Was hoping they would send Yuma and Shoma to WTT, since they are the JSF darlings. But I expected them to send Yuzu and Yuma since they were the WC medalists, but I guess they're going after the $$$ by sending Yuzu and Shoma.

I heard no quarantine for the international teams, and they're going to have an audience, so there's not going to be any bubble or testing either. :gaah:

So they're going the Worlds route...hmph. Not going to lie, all I see is risk in that. 

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

Full entries :/ Since the gold medalists are here can they just send the silver medalists too, or can all teams follow Canada to send out alternative teams? Asking for a friend :/

I really, really don't understand the Canadian women's assignment...Gabby and Alison? really? is Gabby even still skating? 

2 hours ago, Muralla17 said:

I don't understand a word....

1) I didn't know Yuzu likes to attend WTT

2) If Japanese skaters have to be under isolation, that this means they won't be able to train until de competition?

3) What about skaters from other countries? Did they go back to their training bases and will travel to Japan with no quarantine in any direction?

Any info is wellcome since I don't really understand anything.

Thank you so much.

Please see above - Team Canada from Worlds is currently quarantining so they're sending an entirely different group of skaters to WTT. 

1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

This is no longer a sport. It's a dictatorship (obviously a lot more insignificant than actual dictatorships).

It probably always was like this, it's just that the pandemic has exposed the situation.

46 minutes ago, Muralla17 said:

Thank you so much once more! It is great, you have tons of info. Muuchas gracias :heartpound:!

So if I understand properly it has been just a JFed decission, since they had some degrees of freedom to chose. 

So if I understand correctly, Jason should have flought to USA instead to his training base in Canada so he can attend WTT? Or is it possible that he (and other skateres) who had to quarantine if going back to their training bases have already travelled to Japan just after WC so they can train at some ice rink in Japan? I don't know how many countries has a "quarantine" rule.... 

Someone else said it too, but Jason went to Chicago from Stockholm. I'm not sure he expected to be selected for WTT

41 minutes ago, bubzsy said:

Hmmm assuming both Jason and Yuzu will compete, is brian or tracy will be there?

not unless they didn't go back to Canada yet, I think. Although, since they don't have to train to get in shape for WTT, theoretically they could quarantine in Canada after Worlds, then fly to Japan, they quarantine again when they get back...although it's a waste of their time  and $$$ if they do it that way. 

40 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Took them a while, but hey :mellow:

Wow. I never would have expected it. Hope they keep this up. 

33 minutes ago, Muralla17 said:

But they cannot if they returned back to Canada.

Gishlain is the only one who could be there... If I am right...

Yes.

25 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Japanese judges are a lost cause in that regard, of course. But more Asian representation would be fair in the bigger picture, especially with the absurd "wEsErners cAn'T UndersAnd AsiAn muSic" charade. The way judges are selected is a huge issue in general.

But I'm not holding my breath.

More judges from non-Soviet bloc countries would make a huge difference. part of the reason Russian skaters get so many candies is the lingering effects of former Soviet protectorates/republics all having their own judges on the panels and voting in lockstep with the Russians out of habit. 

Seriously, there should just be a limit to the number of judges you can have from each continent on any given panel. Ten judges, 4 continents where skating happens (Europe, Asia, North America, Australia/Oceania) = 2 or 3 judges max from each continent. 

15 minutes ago, Ladysci said:

A bit more information about WTT:  In Japan at least, you apparently have to pay TV Asahi (something like Fuji on demand, I guess) to have live viewing of the practices, competition, and some extra video footage.  By doing this, they are trying to force people to buy tickets to the real event; ticket sales begin this coming Saturday.

Ugh, so irresponsible!

9 minutes ago, memae said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Japan is using the event as a way to check the processes and safeguards they want to implement for the Olympics. If they can't pull off WTT how will they manage the Olympics?

I agree this event is probably more related to the Summer Olympics than FS in general, I doubt they would go for an event like this if the Olympics weren't in Japan even though it makes us fans worry a lot about the athletes (Yuzu especially because of his asthma) looking with a more political view it's a "good" way to test the safety of the competition and analyze where they need to improve if they can't pull out an event like this they can't pull out the Olympics (China will probably start paying a lot attention to Japan competitions to kinda have base of what to do and what not to do) 

2 hours ago, Yuli said:

I hope you will be happy when this event will become superspreader for the sake of your entertainment.

[admin edit]

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

Full entries :/ Since the gold medalists are here can they just send the silver medalists too, or can all teams follow Canada to send out alternative teams? Asking for a friend :/

Thank you!

I confess I'm a bit puzzled by Russian Ladies alternates too. Alexandra Trusova goes after Elizaveta Nugumanova, and Alena Kostornaia, who was first alternate for Worlds, doesn't appear among the three alternates. I hope she's not injured. :tumblr_inline_mnvwrg4ssV1qz4rgp:

@Muralla17 So this is probably why all three coaches from TCC were not at Worlds while they had three students there : Ghislain Briand was "kept in reserve" in case WTT would be held after all.

36 minutes ago, Yuli said:

Actually not necessarily, the Worlds were bad like we've got if I remember correctly 3 confirmed covid cases and we didn't even had an audience with the WTT we not only would have a competition taking place in a city where the covid cases are increasing but we would also have an audience that could make everything worse the safety of this athletes is not a joke, boycott the competitions by not watching it or commenting anything when it's already happening is not gonna make diference  :animated-smileys-character-075:

The spirit moves me to address the 'Yuzu's music is too Japanese' nonsense. mini rant ahead, be forewarned. 

I do not understand this issue at all. As in, I don't get why the music a skater chooses should make any difference to the marks. It's not the judges' job to have opinions on matters of taste - and that's all a music choice is, a matter of taste - that then somehow affect the scores they give a skater. It's the judges' job to score the skater on how well they skate along to the music that has been chosen for the program, to dispassionately and objectively grade the skater's performance. Whether a skater chooses Eminem or enka, the scoring criteria are the same according to the rulebook, or ought to be. 

So comments like the one made by Zhulin send me 'round the twist. They fly in the face of all logic and the scoring rules. Now, I do realize that when a judge is asked to score interpretation, that might be easier for them to do if it's a piece of music they've seen many times before, interpreted by many different skaters, and that ease of familiarity can be expected to affect the scores they give. BUT - a good judge who takes their job seriously should realize the inherent bias in this and strive to overcome it.  It's not like it's difficult to educate oneself about various musical cultures and styles - these days a Spotify subscription and a pair of earbuds should do the trick - so why on earth is this cultural bias still being used as a justification for anything? 

Not 3 months ago, a song sung mainly in Korean, by a Korean band, debuted at #1 on the  US Billboard Hot 100 (Life Goes On, by BTS - I 100% recommend to all to have a listen). If that's not proof that music is a universal language, I don't know what is. Even if a piece of music originates in a different culture from one's own, anyone with functioning ears ought to be able to hear the notes and enjoy the melody. Maybe they won't have the same imagery or nostalgic associations with the music that, say, a native of the culture in question would have, but it doesn't mean said music is unintelligible or that it can't be enjoyed or that the listener will get nothing from the experience. 

Music is non-verbal communication, just like body language. You don't need to speak the same language as someone to understand the message in a friendly smile or a clenched fist. Nor, then, do you need to be (for example) Japanese to appreciate the sounds of the biwa or the shamisen. Musical notes are musical notes, they sound the same in any language. An A# is an A#. A drumbeat is a drumbeat. 

In short, don't tell me any piece of music is 'unintelligible' because of its originating culture. Don't tell me I, as a westerner, can't possibly understand or enjoy music from other cultures, either. Both statements are sheer twaddle and fly in the face of what music is, full stop. Anyone saying FS judges give low scores 'because they didn't understand the music of another culture' is simply making excuses for laziness. 

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

I hope you will be happy when this event will become superspreader for the sake of your entertainment.

[admin edit]

This isn't the point, don't you see it? I didn't say anything about whether I think it should take place or not. It's just the point, that in my opinion one can not be mad about all the organizers and ISU/JSF and anybody and say, this event shouldn't take place and then on the other side watch it, be a fanyu and comment on every detail. 

Probably this is the wrong place for me :) Wish you all the best

Btw, worlds didn't become a superspreader event neither.

1 hour ago, MssSwan said:

I find some of Nathan's programs interesting (my favorite being rocketman) but I've never really watched any them with this camera angle where we can see the whole rink, now that I saw it I just can't put into words how overscored he actually is. The jumps are obviously the best part of his program the technique he have is super clean the jumps looks good and well landed but that's it, like where is the transitions? He doesn't make difficult entries or exits, it honestly looks like all he's doing is crossover crossover jump or crossover glide jump it does not appear that the program have a flow to it, the choreography looks very simple not as difficult as it could be for an athlete at his level he also does not incorporate tiny parts of the choreography between any of his jumps like I've seen Yuzuru did in the past. The step sequence is ok but it could be better the spins are also decent, but in the end it all looks kinda boring to be honest.

If Nathan is not doing any of this extra things to help him get higher goes how can he achieve this super high scores?  :hihi:

Not only his transition but also his spin. 

https://twitter.com/roselinewinte10/status/1376522501220491266?s=19

https://twitter.com/intelligentYuzu/status/1376149727738097665?s=19

Nathan is a talented skater.

BUT...I am done.

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The spirit moves me to address the 'Yuzu's music is too Japanese' nonsense. mini rant ahead, be forewarned. 

I do not understand this issue at all. As in, I don't get why the music a skater chooses should make any difference to the marks. It's not the judges' job to have opinions on matters of taste - and that's all a music choice is, a matter of taste - that then somehow affect the scores they give a skater. It's the judges' job to score the skater on how well they skate along to the music that has been chosen for the program, to dispassionately and objectively grade the skater's performance. Whether a skater chooses Eminem or enka, the scoring criteria are the same according to the rulebook, or ought to be. 

So comments like the one made by Zhulin send me 'round the twist. They fly in the face of all logic and the scoring rules. Now, I do realize that when a judge is asked to score interpretation, that might be easier for them to do if it's a piece of music they've seen many times before, interpreted by many different skaters, and that ease of familiarity can be expected to affect the scores they give. BUT - a good judge who takes their job seriously should realize the inherent bias in this and strive to overcome it.  It's not like it's difficult to educate oneself about various musical cultures and styles - these days a Spotify subscription and a pair of earbuds should do the trick - so why on earth is this cultural bias still being used as a justification for anything? 

Not 3 months ago, a song sung mainly in Korean, by a Korean band, debuted at #1 on the  US Billboard Hot 100 (Life Goes On, by BTS - I 100% recommend to all to have a listen). If that's not proof that music is a universal language, I don't know what is. Even if a piece of music originates in a different culture from one's own, anyone with functioning ears ought to be able to hear the notes and enjoy the melody. Maybe they won't have the same imagery or nostalgic associations with the music that, say, a native of the culture in question would have, but it doesn't mean said music is unintelligible or that it can't be enjoyed or that the listener will get nothing from the experience. 

Music is non-verbal communication, just like body language. You don't need to speak the same language as someone to understand the message in a friendly smile or a clenched fist. Nor, then, do you need to be (for example) Japanese to appreciate the sounds of the biwa or the shamisen. Musical notes are musical notes, they sound the same in any language. An A# is an A#. A drumbeat is a drumbeat. 

In short, don't tell me any piece of music is 'unintelligible' because of its originating culture. Don't tell me I, as a westerner, can't possibly understand or enjoy music from other cultures, either. Both statements are sheer twaddle and fly in the face of what music is, full stop. Anyone saying FS judges give low scores 'because they didn't understand the music of another culture' is simply making excuses for laziness. 

First of all what an amazing comment you literally said everything I was thinking about the topic. Second of all I didn't know you liked BTS, they're amazing and Life Goes On is such an incredible song (and the video though directed by Jungkook *chef kiss*), we appreciate good taste :worship:

I mean.. I was  not  expecting  Yuzu to get selected  for WTT.. But while it's for now still to be happening, and he's in the list.. and while I do wish  the event wouldn't take place,  especially  with  the strange quarantine approach for international skaters,  what we  can do now is to  hope, that IF it  does go as planned, more safety precaution will  be taken and it will go safely for  everyone  involved.

We don't know  yet the final outcome of the Worlds, since incubation is two weeks.. not to say I'm hoping there will be case. But still I think stricter measure  should  HAVE been carried at the  event knowing the condition happening in there, and  worldwide. IF there really will be no more case even after normal quarantine period, then they hit the jackpot.. a good one.. because what would be the probability?

It's not about that 'not many people  get infected so the event is fine after all', because people have the right to be worried and concerned about the world's pandemic.. and the virus.. especially those who have seen firsthand the effect.

So let's not take it lightly..

2 minutes ago, Sweetyuzupon said:

Not only his transition but also his spin. 

https://twitter.com/roselinewinte10/status/1376522501220491266?s=19

https://twitter.com/intelligentYuzu/status/1376149727738097665?s=19

Nathan is a talented skater.

BUT...I am done.

Nathan is a talented skater but the fact that his scores are so inflated really puts a wall between me and the possibility of me liking him, this overscore thing really piss me of so it's gonna be really difficult for me to like him even after Yuzuru retires :13877886:

5 minutes ago, MssSwan said:

First of all what an amazing comment you literally said everything I was thinking about the topic. Second of all I didn't know you liked BTS, they're amazing and Life Goes On is such an incredible song (and the video though directed by Jungkook *chef kiss*), we appreciate good taste :worship:

You also, need to join us over in