General Yuzuru Chat

Yuzu competing at Nationals will be easy.  He'll be able to be driven to Nagano in a private automobile.  He'll be able to hotel it in a facility that provides him with maximum security, both in terms of personal protection and in terms of health.  As to the question of whether he's ready or not, others have already pointed out how he could have profited from this long hiatus.  One thing that nobody has thought about although I did mention the possibility some months back and got limited feedback on it, is that he might have been able to link up with Nanami, a situation which I am sure would have met with approval from Brian.  We have to remember that for some time now Yuzu's relationship with the Toronto coaches has been more a situation where he decides where he wants to go technically and they work to assist him in achieving his goals.  They are no longer guides but advisers.  If Yuzu were working with Nanami that would be the case there particularly where she would probably be operating with close contact with the people in Toronto.  An afterthought, these many months are the longest stretch in his competitive career since he first entered international competition where he has been able to enjoy the luxury of being at home.  This almost certainly would have enhanced his mindset.

Now for Stockholm.  If the competition occurs he has the funds to hire a private aircraft to get him to and from Stockholm.  Finding a suitable safe hotel will also be possible through his own funding.  We have to realize that Yuzu's situation is such that he can be regarded as Yuzu, Inc.  He's not only a figure skater but also a business entity.  More importantly he has the mindset to operate in that fashion.  How many other skaters are actively pursuing goals outside of figure skating?  I don't think there are many.  His major in his university studies was one that would challenge most full-time students not even involved in activities beyond there education.  The nature of his major indicates that he is probably looking at his post-competitive activities in areas beyond the tradional ones for retired figure skaters - ice shows, coaching, commentating - although those remain as options.  His comfort in front of cameras and his ability to respond articulately (when dealing in Japanese) will make him a prime candidate when Japanese media are seeking commentary of one sort or another.

There is another aspect of Yuzu in terms of his areas of operation that has gone unnoticed.  Yuzu will become much more visible early next March because Japan will be commemorating (not celebrating) the 10th anniversary of the earthquake, the single biggest event in Japan between World War II and the pandemic.  Yuzu's high profile in relation to recovery efforts will make him a person sought out by the media and also by those planning specific commemorative ceremonies.  Another factor as far as public exposure will be next summer's Olympics, which I think now with the various vaccines coming online will be occurring.  Yuzu is by far the most successful Japanese winter athlete ever.  As such I think there will be a number of occasions where he might be paired up with Kohei Uchimura, Japan's most successful summer athlete, in specific media events.  All this might change if Kohei decides to compete one more time next year but I am thinking that is not likely.  If he isn't competing I would consider him the number one candidate to light the cauldron in the opening ceremonies.  A fitting action would be for Yuzu to be the person handing the torch to him at those ceremonies - winter giving over to summer.

All in all the biggest question right now is will Yuzu compete in Nagano.  I think he will because there he will be able to issue the challenge to Nathan, letting him know that he is not the only only game in town.  I think for Nathan the sobering thought should be that this will be the first time he's met Yuzu in head-to-head competition where Yuzu is totally rested, totally injury free and totally on top of his game.

10 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah, I imagine he may wear an old costume? Actually most likely Satomi already has his measurements and can put together something like Otonal or Origin costume but maybe a different color without having to fit it :smiley-devil:

Didn't his mom use to make his costumes? I bet between Satomi, Mama Hanyu, Zoom calls, and postal service, they can get him new costumes. 

11 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I think this is unlikely at a very formal occasion like the JNats.

I also think it's unlikely given Yuzu's personal sense of style and good taste when it comes to his costumes! I was in fact suggesting it as a joke. Personally I think Yuzu would rather die than wear some of the blah-office-worker outfits his competitors put on. 

But in event that he might not have been able to get new costumes, I wonder what he would do. Personally, I'd be very delighted to see the Origin 2.0 costume being re-deployed for another program. For example, it would work for LGC. 

32 минуты назад, yuzuangel сказал:

if i had to bet between new programs and new costumes, i'd pick new costumes any day :smiley-devil:

noooooooooo, new programs! at least SP

And I don't believe there will be new programs without new costumes anyway :P Satomi has all his measurements, some adjustments can be needed after fitting of course, but there's zoom + delivery

I think even with pandemic he would be able to get new costumes, it is not just any person so it is different than most people needing a costume fitted. 

Also I am so ready for new programs, I feel like it is entirely possible. He can't see his coaches, and that is obviously a setback, but he can record and send footage they can review, so theres that at least. Also he probably has a team working with him there that are very talented and capable, so with them and Cricket from long distance I think it could have worked!

I gues we will see soon :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

11 hours ago, Glory said:

I think if he skates at Nats that he'll have all new programs and costumes! If anyone could pull it off he could! He'll want to surprise us I think.

Well, I think there's one thing we can be pretty sure of:

If Yuzu skates at Nats, with a new program and a new costume..........we'll break the Internet!

5 hours ago, Lunna said:

noooooooooo, new programs! at least SP

And I don't believe there will be new programs without new costumes anyway :P Satomi has all his measurements, some adjustments can be needed after fitting of course, but there's zoom + delivery

I'm pretty sure that Jeff Buttle confirmed that he had done choreo for the new SP, and that was months ago. Plenty of time for him to personalize and perfect it.  I'd guess Shae-Lynn for the long, and they have worked remotely before, for ice shows, but who knows.  I really want him to compete and to win this - but I'd feel a lot better if the JSF kept the competition spectator-free.

I think it is not imposible for him to get a new long program from Shae-Lyn.He had  experience before with her with masquerade choreo done via video call right?The only thing that will remains the same i think are the jumps layout.I dont think he will try anything new because of limitation of ice time,facilities and without coaches.In my opinion,he can still win jnats if he skates clean with 3 quads in free programme

This just went up on YouTube, so I'm sharing for the general merriment of all. Note that Yuzu features prominently...but i think my favorite is Guillaume Cizeron as Minnie Mouse

Okay, so if Yuzu has new programs and new costumes, anyone care to hazard a guess what it'll be? I think Jeff said in that interview that what he choreo'd for Yuzu was 'high-energy', but I can't remember anything else he said. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Okay, so if Yuzu has new programs and new costumes, anyone care to hazard a guess what it'll be? I think Jeff said in that interview that what he choreo'd for Yuzu was 'high-energy', but I can't remember anything else he said. 

Jeff said the new SP has a very different energy from Chopin.  He zipped his mouth after that comment, so we are left guessing.  The {not Chopin} set is very large.