General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of this attitude. The idea that strong people don't need a therapist. So if you need a therapist, then you must be weak? As someone who saw a therapist for years and is now on the verge of needing one again, I take offense at it. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu would not consider a therapist, while at the same time I hope his studies of psychology as part of his university studies have made him more open minded. I'm sure he knows the importance of psychology in his sport and I think he's probably aware of his own trauma stemming from the earthquake experience. Then there's the stuff he said at Continues. This all makes me hope he is far more open minded about it and is willing to ask for and accept help on the harder days. TCC has sports psychologists on call precisely to help the athletes. Asking for and accepting help in tough times, to help clear one's mind does not mean that person is not strong. I REALLY hope Yuzu knows that. He's been through so much stuff I just hope he gets all the support he needs.

The fact that Yuzu's mentioned specifically studying clinical psychology makes me think he's really trying to get better at being his own therapist lmao. And he's explained multiple times how many of the little habits he has are really tried-and-tested methods to balance his mental state. I'm sure he also has lots of habits we never see - he mentioned purposefully making himself cry before competitions for mental balance or something like that, too. Because of his studies and the fact he's spent so long in Canada/TCC (which I think are much better than Japan when it comes to appreciating mental health/sports psychology), I also think he's very unlikely to have any hostility towards therapy/people who need therapy.

We wouldn't know if he sees a sports psychologist/therapist and it's none of our business, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Whether he does or not, I'm sure he has his own ways to take care of his mental health, and also a lot of people around him who are available to help. Maybe a few years ago (like before Boston) the situation would have been different, but I think he's really taken some lessons to heart in this department. I kind of sensed a change in the way he spoke at PC, when he specifically mentioned studying about stress management, controlling anxiety etc. while he couldn't be on the ice. It seemed to me that he'd started to take mental wellbeing more seriously, and a lot of it was probably connected to his studies. So I have more faith in him being able to handle this kind of stuff positively than I did before. 

46 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

We wouldn't know if he sees a sports psychologist/therapist and it's none of our business, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Whether he does or not, I'm sure he has his own ways to take care of his mental health, and also a lot of people around him who are available to help. Maybe a few years ago (like before Boston) the situation would have been different, but I think he's really taken some lessons to heart in this department. I kind of sensed a change in the way he spoke at PC, when he specifically mentioned studying about stress management, controlling anxiety etc. while he couldn't be on the ice. It seemed to me that he'd started to take mental wellbeing more seriously, and a lot of it was probably connected to his studies. So I have more faith in him being able to handle this kind of stuff positively than I did before. 

This. Also, let's not forget that he cries for health and is not ashamed to admit it publicly :) (which I love). I think he has a lot of available options and people to rely on in his environment plus his own studies so it's certainly not neglected area in his case. If that were the case, he would never have come so far. I think that one of his strenght is that he can accept this kind of struggle, accept negative emotions, analyze them, talk about them with high level of maturity (even in public interviews which is very rare) and release them. It may sound hard, but actually the fact that he doesn't hide it but talks about it is cleansing. 

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

I tried a little search about these Ice-scope or Eyescope, they seem to be made by a Qoncept and Fuji, but I find nothing else.
Are they on the market, or just prototypes, or?

It is Fuji TV's sole property. ISU prob made a deal with them. Hope it comes back at Worlds.

Tbh, I'm so over this 'ISU made him doubt himself'. A perfectionist like Yuzu ia very rarely satisfied with himself (I really know something about that...) and that interwiew isn't really that bad like people made it to be, it's rather normal... imo ofc, but yeah, what do you expect after two bad (for his own standard) competitions. That doesn't mean I'm denying he may need help sometime (who doesn't), but I saw so many people overreatcting about that onterview...

31 minutes ago, peach-blossom said:

I’m curious...how exactly does the I-scope actually work? Are there multiple cameras analysing the jumps? How do they make sure it’s accurate and how are they able to calculate the speed of the skater? Thanks!

It's Fuji's copyrighted technology how can other ppl know?

I guess it might have smt to do with special cameras as besides I-scope they also have I-stats in Jnats that measures ice coverage and speed:

8 hours ago, Toni said:

9uhCqGQ.jpg

These are Fanyu Good Luck Charms I will be handing out at Worlds. (You can find me at seat: SECTION 101 - ROW R - SEAT 10)  Obviously, I expected Yuzu to be doing Origin there, but it's still good luck and will remind us of purple Origin. At least I added a Ballad feather :grin: In Japan, 5 yen coins are considered good luck. They also consider KitKat bars good luck because "Kit Kat" sounds like the Japanese word for "sure win." Because of this, KitKat bars are very popular in Japan... and, well, they're yummy ,chocolate covered wafers, so...  Anyway, I'll post a reminder as we get closer. 

Wow. Amazing! And I'll be just a few rows away -- section 101, row V, seat 15! I'll definitely look you up. Thanks for making these extra-extra charms!

:1497158260_5GOE:

5 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of this attitude. The idea that strong people don't need a therapist. So if you need a therapist, then you must be weak? As someone who saw a therapist for years and is now on the verge of needing one again, I take offense at it. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu would not consider a therapist, while at the same time I hope his studies of psychology as part of his university studies have made him more open minded. I'm sure he knows the importance of psychology in his sport and I think he's probably aware of his own trauma stemming from the earthquake experience. Then there's the stuff he said at Continues. This all makes me hope he is far more open minded about it and is willing to ask for and accept help on the harder days. TCC has sports psychologists on call precisely to help the athletes. Asking for and accepting help in tough times, to help clear one's mind does not mean that person is not strong. I REALLY hope Yuzu knows that. He's been through so much stuff I just hope he gets all the support he needs.

This. As someone who used to find it hard to ask for help, I learned the hard way that there are times when the strongest of us (and I count myself one of those) need help. Today I salute anyone courageous and mature enough to take responsibility for their own wellbeing -- including seeking counseling when they need it. End of sermon.

13 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

This. As someone who used to find it hard to ask for help, I learned the hard way that there are times when the strongest of us (and I count myself one of those) need help. Today I salute anyone courageous and mature enough to take responsibility for their own wellbeing -- including seeking counseling when they need it. End of sermon.

I honestly still find it hard to ask for help. But I agree.

As for Yuzu, I know he takes his own mental health seriously and obviously focuses a lot on it - he knows how important it is, and in some ways, it's his only 'weakness' (though I personally like that about him, that he's no robot and that his circumstances matter). And I think it's great if he can make it without any outside help.

My point was that I hope he knows it's a viable option that says nothing about how strong/not strong he is.

If people always talk about how strong he is, he might feel extra pressure to be strong. If people say "Nah, he's strong, he knows what he's doing, he doesn't need a therapist", then he might feel like he needs to live up to those expectations and that if he were to see a therapist, it might disappoint people.

On top of that, as far as I know - I hope I'm wrong, though - in Japan, mental issues are still largely ignored and seeking therapy isn't very common. It's not here either. I've heard people younger than me here, intelligent students, not random people on the street, say that anti-depressants are just placebo and depression is just people feeling sad and not putting enough effort into feeling better. I hope it's not like that in Japan, but you rarely hear people in Japan talk about these things and how they deal with them. That's why I want to insist that if Yuzu ever feels the need to see a sports psychologist or to see a therapist, then he should. At the end of the day, even if you can do something on your own, if a little bit of help makes that easier, why not take it? Maybe he already has, for all we know. I agree it's none of our business, but I hope fans are aware that sometimes supporting someone or praising them can give the impression of expectations and turn into pressure instead. Yuzu should do whatever he feels is right for himself and we should try to ensure he feels he has the freedom to do so and isn't limited in any way by our expectations.

Seconding the things that @KatjaThera has said. I feel like the suggestion that strong people don't see therapists can discourage people from getting help, because they don't want to seem "weak." Sometimes strength is recognizing when you need, or would even just benefit from, outside support, and pursuing that instead of just stubbornly trying to go it alone. Obviously none of us know everything that's going on inside of Yuzu's head, and therefore we can't say what he could or could not benefit from, but whether he chooses to go see a therapist or some other kind of mental health professional at some point does not reflect his strength or weakness. Nor would it reflect anyone else's strength or weakness. (I also don't think studying clinical psychology means you can be your own therapist. Lots of mental health professionals go to other mental health professionals. It's like how doctors aren't supposed to treat themselves.)

I think it is definitely cultural differences what we saw here in the different comments, in some countries therapy is very common and in others it not common at all and it also stigmatized same as mental health issues, which is very harmful. You may want to see a therapist or you may not like it but it should be an option and nobody should have an opinion about it. It is as important to take care of ones mental health as your physical health. Now, that said, you wont catch me at a therapist office, and that is because I just could never do it, it doesnt mash with me speaking with a stranger like that, but that is exactly what some people want and need. Im sure I could benefit greatly from therapy, but it is not for everyone I suppose. In my country everyone is in therapy and if you are not you are the black sheep :rofl2:People will tell you how great it is and how you should go!

Yuzu is under so much scrutiny and pressure that I cant dream to know how it feels to be in his place, and for him I wish nothing but the best and that if he could benefit from therapy and he can be happy with it he should have access to it and I wouldn't like to hear anyone's opinion on it. 

2 hours ago, rubyblue said:

actually the fact that he doesn't hide it but talks about it

It's yet another reason I love and admire Yuzuru so much -  we say what a private person he is, and he IS about certain personal aspects of his life, BUT I have always felt there is an openness in interview, behaviour, performance to show us his true self without shame or embarrassment; well he even shows his embarrassment unashamedly come to think of it!! He is a very natural person, and I love that he talks of these things that affect him, and affect nearly all of us in our daily lives. It's helpful, he is a good role model in all sorts of ways.  I am pretty sure he would be cool about therapy - he'd see it as scientifically proven to be effective. He is well read in sports psychology as he evidenced post PC.

EDIT: just my opinion - not suggesting I know how Yuzuru thinks!!

9 minutes ago, Pammi said:

It's yet another reason I love and admire Yuzuru so much -  we say what a private person he is, and he IS about certain personal aspects of his life, BUT I have always felt there is an openness in interview, behaviour, performance to show us his true self without shame or embarrassment; well he even shows his embarrassment unashamedly come to think of it!! He is a very natural person, and I love that he talks of these things that affect him, and affect nearly all of us in our daily lives. It's helpful, he is a good role model in all sorts of ways.  I am pretty sure he would be cool about therapy - he'd see it as scientifically proven to be effective. He is well read in sports psychology as he evidenced post PC.

EDIT: just my opinion - not suggesting I know how Yuzuru thinks!!

I am constantly in awe of how brave he is, it is really something to see, him talking in interviews in such and open honest way, putting himself in a vulnerable position and showing so much strength and bravery in doing so, I am always very impressed.

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

On top of that, as far as I know - I hope I'm wrong, though - in Japan, mental issues are still largely ignored and seeking therapy isn't very common. 

OT so under spoiler..

Spoiler

I think it's fair to say that mental health and therapy are still very sigmatised topics in Japan. Seeking help for mental health issues definitely isn't something people usually talk about casually. It's extremely different from many Western countries, where talking about therapy etc. is pretty much a normal coffee table topic these days. Moreover, the way mental health is treated is very different - it seems to be more focused on psychiatry/drugs and less on counseling/therapy.

I have some first-hand experience with this, although it's very limited. When I was studying at a Japanese university, I was having trouble sleeping because of stress at one point.  I went to the university mental health service to see if I could get some counselling. I really just wanted to talk to someone and maybe get some qualitative advice. Anyway, it turned out that the mental health service was staffed by a psychiatrist, and they immediately wanted to prescribe me some very strong sleep medications. I declined and didn't receive any further appointments. Overall I thought it was quite weird and very unlike anything I've experienced in Europe, where university health services would usually include some qualitative counseling, followed by psychiatrist appointments/medicine prescriptions only in more severe cases.

Although my own experience is limited, I've also heard from elsewhere that mental health services in Japan are still very much medication-based, with much less emphasis on therapy.  I've also heard there are issues with the quality of care in mental hospitals in Japan, with practices that are considered abuse in many other countries nowadays still common.

So with all this in mind, it does seem that there is a large difference between Japan and many other countries. Of course there are also people in Japan who take a different/more positive or holistic attitude to mental health these days, and try to spread awareness. But I think it will take quite a long time for things like therapy to become normalised in Japan. 

Also about this point @shanshani

(I also don't think studying clinical psychology means you can be your own therapist. Lots of mental health professionals go to other mental health professionals. It's like how doctors aren't supposed to treat themselves.)

I completely agree, I didn't mean that remark seriously - no matter how much you study medicine or psychology, you still need to have a good support network/someone to get an external professional opinion from. But to an extent it is still helpful to study these things to understand yourself better. I think having knowledge of clinical psychology does help a person make healthier choices in daily life/to avoid unhealthy coping mechanisms etc. But it doesn't mean one is equipped to handle crises alone or anything like that. Basically my point is that it is helpful, but only to a certain extent, and understanding one's own limitations is also important.