General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, liv said:

Of course he does not have to please fans by bringing new programs... and, of course he has to do what he can to win the Olympic title. I think we all fully support that..... my only fear is the reaction of the judges. Just because something was well received the first time, does not mean it will be again. While i believe Chopin is too good to be denied, who knows what judges will say about it. We've seen them do odd things before. We dont' want to give them more ammunition.

Well it's not just judges, a lot of people have pointed it out, but there's also the pressure of a perfect program with Ballade no. 1. He skated it perfectly(shush about StSq3) three times in a row the last time and broke the WR with it twice. It's not an easy program to bring back and at this point I would argue it's as big of a risk as introducing something fresh, but at the same time we just have to be patient and wait.

I mentioned it before. But we don't know to what extent he will reuse Ballade no.1. He's cuting and synching a 10-ish minute piece to fit a 2 and a half minute window. He has plenty of room to modify it as a program.

I just think everyone is freaking out a bit right now and need to calm down and just breath and wait for what Yuzuru himself has to say.

32 minutes ago, meoima said:

Am I the only one who pretty much chill about all of this? 

Cause I saw that in my dream a long while before Yuzuru came back to Japan... I honestly didn't expect my dreams to become true but yeah... his programs will be amazing and will remain for the whole world, even non-FS fans to remember and praise as the best of the best.

And he will be fine at Olympic. 

Nope, I am with you on this. Still, I am praying that you are indeed a psychic. I remember one of the commentators said after his NHK (or was it GPF?) performance, that had he skated both Chopin 2.0 and Seimei in the Olympics, no one, not even non-FS fans, will ever forget it. Let that be true.

28 minutes ago, meoima said:

Cause I saw that in my dream a long while before Yuzuru came back to Japan... I honestly didn't expect my dreams to become true but yeah... his programs will be amazing and will remain for the whole world, even non-FS fans to remember and praise as the best of the best.

I am super chill about this.  And, if the Semei rumor is true, I'll be looking forward to that as well.

I had been stressing about how long it would take him to choose his new music then come up with new choreography.  Now, I can breathe a little easier.

And, you are right.  His programs WILL be amazing and dazzle even the non-FS fans.

If he is happy, I am happy.

I'm actually pretty chill. hahaha :smiley-cool14:

Oooooh boy. I'm actually one of the first in the FaOI thread to say Seimei 2.0 as soon as I heard about Chopin 3.0.

But what I meant about Seimei 2.0 is that he's prolly going to use music from the soundtrack and not the exact same one he used before.

Chopin + Seimei combo was really well received - to the point that some people have said he should've saved it for Olympic season.

After reading about how in-tune he is with his fans, I've decided not to put out any negative energy to him. Some of his decisions over the course of his career I have questioned, but in the end I still trust him.

15 minutes ago, liv said:

Of course he does not have to please fans by bringing new programs... and, of course he has to do what he can to win the Olympic title. I think we all fully support that..... my only fear is the reaction of the judges. Just because something was well received the first time, does not mean it will be again. While i believe Chopin is too good to be denied, who knows what judges will say about it. We've seen them do odd things before. We dont' want to give them more ammunition.

If I were one of the judges, it would likely impact my judging. Using the same music for the THIRD time? At his level?

I've been critical in the past about elite skaters recycling their programs. Very disappointed to hear this.

Well I walked in to some interesting news.

To be short, if the rumor is true, then I have doubts about this choice. If it's not, it's still very risky, considering that Chopin has been done to perfection. Even with a possible layout upgrade, it is massive baggage. Considering he's not the resident darling these days, I would actually call this a risky strategy, not a safe one. If the rumor is true, then it's double baggage, yes, even with a new music cut or different layouts.

I actually like the idea of Seimei 2.0 possibly considering the OST is amazing, it's sort of his iconic program and it's possible to have something that would give shades of remembrance and yet invoke a new feeling, especially with a new layout. But Chopin 3.0, and both in combination? Hmm. There's already been too much talk about his time being over, and I expect it'll just increase with the whole he's playing it safe (even if he isn't with the actual layouts; remember the (in)consistency talk this season, that's the type of perception I'm talking about). 

I can't wait for Yuzuru to slap me silly with awesomeness though and prove me wrong! :laughing:

That's what I'm afraid of. When it comes to Hanyu the judges are extremely picky. They hold him to a higher standard than any other skater in the field. 

4 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

If I were one of the judges, it would likely impact my judging. Using the same music for the THIRD time? At his level?

I've been critical in the past about elite skaters recycling their programs. Very disappointed to hear this.

I think it would be good to hear from Yuzu himself about his programs. I'm sure he's now aware/or will be aware that his fans are in a tizzy, so at some point when he's interviewed or on a show or something, hopefully he'll say something about them.

He fought 2013/2014 with PW2.0 and R&J2.0, one of them made him break WR for the first time and one of them shared a theme with another program he could really relate to. So I was not so surprised his choice this year. Ballad No.1 was a program he really loved, and it made him break his own record, too.

I understand the disappointment because I was a bit disappointed in 2013. I wanted to see him skating to as many music as possible while he was competing, and I was not a fan of the wailing guitar. But as the season went on PW became even more polished and in the end brought him OGM.

However, this year he will not bring back the Ballad No.1 in 2015/2016. Although the music and the basic choreo will be the same, he will change the layout. It will give him comfort and challenge at the same time, and I think this combination will give him the motivation to improve himself and freedom to express himself. I think we will see another beautiful Ballad No.1.

I don’t care what judges will think. They’ll do whatever they want. In the tough season going into Olympic what matters most is to have two programs which feel right, which you can trust.

1 hour ago, meoima said:

I'm also not worried. I believe in Yuzu's ambition. He is swinging for the fences. He wants to be a legend. He has been waiting for gold at Pyeongchang for more than 10 years. If he decides to reuse Chopin and Seimei, it will be because the music naturally suits the rhythm of his jumps the best and he is going to do a massive BV upgrade so he won't lose out to the youngsters.

I agree with you @meoima. Chopin and Seimei again means 4Lz in both SP and FS and at least 5 quads in the FS with both programs chock-full of transitions and level 4 stsq and spins. He may need to give up the Biellman and maybe even the Ina Bauer to do all that.

ETA: I haven't been to the FaOI thread yet but did Yuzu just perform Chopin clean with a 4Lo stuck in there instead of 4S?? And how long has he had to practice that??

Well Ballade 1 is almost 10 mins long. Chopin can also vary a bit depending on the pianist playing his pieces, since he was a fairly emotional composer himself. If Yuzu's team decide to further blend ballade 1 with some other of Chopin's Etudes, then we are going to get a very different ballade. 

As for seimei, now that I think about it, I'm not as against it. Personally, I think Yuzuru is the only male skater (maybe the only skater) who can pull off asian music. I was thinking that it would be awesome if he could skate to an asian warhorse music, so I actually tried to search for "asian warhorse" music-and came up empty! There were a few Umebayashi pieces that struck me as good for SP, but not LP. The closest I could get to one that was warhorse-like, and somewhat emotive, was "ambush from ten sides" which is a pipa (biwa) piece, that cannot easily be edited to fit.

There is a slight irony with asian music and figure skating. Figure skating music needs climaxes, it needs to be emotive. But at least traditional chinese music (I can't say if it's the same for japanese music), the music is not suppose to evoke emotions.  The highest class music is to be meditative, impressionistic, it's more "thinking music" rather than "feelings music." The lyrics (usually poems) are what accentuates any emotions involved.Then there is the pacing that Yuzuru himself mentioned before, with asian music being slower and hence harder to edit correctly and wrangle into a program. The fact that he managed to do that in round 1, and manage to evoke emotions with his performance, was what stunned me when I first saw Seimei 1.0.

So if he does Seimei again, I think he would take on the challenge of bringing in more traditional instrumentation bits into his program, and do a program that only he could pull off. There is no one else right now who has the finesse in technique that could really do it justice. So yes, in that case, I could get behind Onmyoji music again, and it would be one heck of a program that no one could ever repeat. 

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well Ballade 1 is almost 10 mins long. Chopin can also vary a bit depending on the pianist playing his pieces, since he was a fairly emotional composer himself. If Yuzu's team decide to further blend ballade 1 with some other of Chopin's Etudes, then we are going to get a very different ballade. 

As for seimei, now that I think about it, I'm not as against it. Personally, I think Yuzuru is the only male skater (maybe the only skater) who can pull off asian music. I was thinking that it would be awesome if he could skate to an asian warhorse music, so I actually tried to search for "asian warhorse" music-and came up empty! There were a few Umebayashi pieces that struck me as good for SP, but not LP. The closest I could get to one that was warhorse-like, and somewhat emotive, was "ambush from ten sides" which is a pipa (biwa) piece, that cannot easily be edited to fit.

There is a slight irony with asian music and figure skating. Figure skating music needs climaxes, it needs to be emotive. But at least traditional chinese music (I can't say if it's the same for japanese music), the music is not suppose to evoke emotions.  The highest class music is to be meditative, impressionistic, it's more "thinking music" rather than "feelings music." The lyrics (usually poems) are what accentuates any emotions involved.Then there is the pacing that Yuzuru himself mentioned before, with asian music being slower and hence harder to edit correctly and wrangle into a program. The fact that he managed to do that in round 1, and manage to evoke emotions with his performance, was what stunned me when I first saw Seimei 1.0.

So if he does Seimei again, I think he would take on the challenge of bringing in more traditional instrumentation bits into his program, and do a program that only he could pull off. There is no one else right now who has the finesse in technique that could really do it justice. So yes, in that case, I could get behind Onmyoji music again, and it would be one heck of a program that no one could ever repeat. 

I mean Onmyoji does have a sequel so... :embSwan:

1 hour ago, meoima said:

Sou eu o único que muito frio sobre tudo isso? 

Porque eu vi isso em meu sonho um longo tempo antes Yuzuru voltou para o Japão ... Eu honestamente não esperava que meus sonhos se tornassem realidade, mas sim ... seus programas serão incríveis e permanecerão para todo o mundo, mesmo não -FS fãs para lembrar e elogiar como o melhor dos melhores.

E ele vai ficar bem na Olimpíada. 

Totally with you here and believing in your words. I am surprised, but very calm about your decision. I trust Yuzu. No matter what, I trust him and I have only positive thoughts because I believe in the power of our mind. He will positively surprise us again, and then we will be remembering this day.:space:

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

He fought 2013/2014 with PW2.0 and R&J2.0, one of them made him break WR for the first time and one of them shared a theme with another program he could really relate to. So I was not so surprised his choice this year. Ballad No.1 was a program he really loved, and it made him break his own record, too.

I understand the disappointment because I was a bit disappointed in 2013. I wanted to see him skating to as many music as possible while he was competing, and I was not a fan of the wailing guitar. But as the season went on PW became even more polished and in the end brought him OGM.

However, this year he will not bring back the Ballad No.1 in 2015/2016. Although the music and the basic choreo will be the same, he will change the layout. It will give him comfort and challenge at the same time, and I think this combination will give him the motivation to improve himself and freedom to express himself. I think we will see another beautiful Ballad No.1.

I don’t care what judges will think. They’ll do whatever they want. In the tough season going into Olympic what matters most is to have two programs which feel right, which you can trust.

Totally agree with you. Judges will try to hold him down anyway if they want to even Yuzu has a new great program. (like they did with Yuna)

He needs two programs he does feel comfortable and connected with to skate to. Olympics is not easy and he knows it well.