General Yuzuru Chat

34 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

This is what worries me.  Yuzuru has probably the most difficult while reliable triple axel in history.  What is the quad going to do to his triple?

I'm a skating imbecile but I love, love, love the entry into his 3A. He sorta sways from side to side and then he flies!

I first noticed it watching the 2017 Hope and Legacy in Helsinki-- for some reason I was watching the Swedish commentary and the lady literally drawled out something in Swedish, and the subtitle was "The way he does it..." She was...most appreciative. And since then I have loved his 3A. Cuz the way he does it. :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, wpisces said:

He has strugged with landing triple lutz since his earlier years when he wasn't traning 4lutz. I watched many his junior programs, he usually tend to lean forward too much and mess up triple lutz. Worlds Junior 2010 FS, NHK 2010 SP, COC 2011 FS, Worlds 2014...  just name a few. If it's just a triple he some how can control his shaky landing to avoid injuries but if it's a quad with that height and speed into that, if he land in that way,  injury is inevitable. 

I think Yuzu does tend to have a tilt on the axis of his lutz, but I’ve often wondered if this was due to the placement of the lutz toward the end of his programs and fatigue (not sure about his junior programs as I can’t remember those layouts). Besides their placement in the second half of his programs the other times he’s had difficulty with it was when he was doing difficult transitions into it (original Ballade layout comes to mind, and in the second half). Maybe if he places his lutzes at the start of his programs it’ll allow him to minimize those errors, right now the sample size is too small to tell as we only have Rostelecom to go off of. I’m probably one of those that also believes his injury at NHK could’ve happened on any jump due to the fever he had, from some reports of that practice his other jumps weren’t going that well either that day. 

23 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

This is what worries me.  Yuzuru has probably the most difficult while reliable triple axel in history.  What is the quad going to do to his triple?

Improve it. Yuzuru's been deconstructing his Axel in order to work on the quad and really, there's nothing to worry about, knock on wood. 

Tbh, I am in the camp of the people who don't worry about the 4Lz either. It was just a combination of really blah circumstances - fever, new jump, ice, etc - and well, what happened, happened. I think if he's healthy, he'll get it back with more difficulty but only because it was a new jump and in a way, he's starting over now. The CoR landing will do him good there too, he has that one confirmation that he can. If I am to worry about anything, I would be thinking more about his ankle, in relation to all of this but weirdly enough, I remain zen :biggrin:

40 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

This is quite a valid question IMO. I remember during one of the interviews he commented that he couldn't do a 3T that well nowadays because he's used to the force and feelings of 4T (or it could be a 2T to 4T, I can't really remember). Anyway the way he explained it was that in order to land well he needs to totally tighten his body yet since less rotation is needed he would let it go "loose" to rotate less, and that presents a problem during landing because body is not tightened enough. That's the reason of some falls in ice shows, where jumps with fewer rotations might present problems, and need to be worked on. 

However I am not that worried about his truly beautiful triple axel, even if it needs to be reconstructed due to quad axel - Yuzu said it, he will nail it and I trust him. In one of the American commentaries/ice talks, I once heard someone bashing that Yuzuru is of course done after OG, because there is no reason for him to stay since he has it all. (AND no pick on me, I don't have any hate nor discontent on this comment, just look at my profile and you will see)  Although I am personally not in favor of such tone of dismissal and judgement, in a way Yuzu paid his dues, he paid it so completely now that he has every reason to experiment and re-engineer all his jumps in whatever way he wants to. 

3 hours ago, Toni said:

That TIME list isn't about achievement, it's about influence, and it has always been controversial because it's very PC (Politically Correct.) Adam is this year's token gay activist. There's also always a token black activist, a token Muslim, etc.  And Yuzu won't appear on the list until he's had more influence outside of skating. His recovery efforts in Myagi Prefecture are a good start. He may eventually become their token Asian. Very sad -- just ignore it.

As an American in his early 70s I can say 'Amen' to that.  I've seen so much over the decades and saw its growth while I was working on my doctorate and teaching English at the university here.  Political correctness is rampant amongst the media and academic elites here, as also in Europe.  Witness the travesty of Bob Dylan being awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, or Barack Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize when he'd barely begun his first term.  I put very little stock in those lists, particularly, as was pointed out, when the lists are less about actual achievement and more about how good and how much the press has been about a person.  Adam Rippon made the list because he's American and he's fashionable.  As a skater he's good but I would not put him up with the elite if you mean by the elite someone who has a reasonable chance of being on the podium in any competition he's in.  Nor has Adam had any effect on skating.  His avoidance of the big jumps is less an aesthetically-based aversion to them (the reason he's given) than a probable inability to do them.  So ignore those.  Yuzu doesn't need to be on those lists.   

I'm always amused by Yuzu's interactions with other athletes. Remember the Asahi Big Sports Award show where he did a flip when they announced his name, in front of Kohei Uchimura and Kenzo Shirai? They were like, OMG, dude have some chill. Yuzu = cringeworthy + adorable. 

3 minutes ago, micaelis said:

As an American in his early 70s I can say 'Amen' to that.  I've seen so much over the decades and saw its growth while I was working on my doctorate and teaching English at the university here.  Political correctness is rampant amongst the media elites here, as also in Europe.  Witness the travesty of Bob Dylan being awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, or Barack Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize when he'd barely begun his first term.  I put very little stock in those lists, particularly, as was pointed out, when the lists are less about actual achievement and more about how good and how much the press has been about a person.  Adam Rippon made the list because he's American and he's fashionable.  As a skater he's good but I would not put him up with the elite if you mean by the elite someone who has a reasonable chance of being on the podium in any competition he's in.  Nor has Adam had any effect on skating.  His avoidance of the big jumps is less an aesthetically-based aversion to them (the reason he's given) than a probable inability to do them.  So ignore those.  Yuzu doesn't need to be on those lists.   

Exactly. No-one should be bothered, even if Yuzu never makes that stupid list. (Ooh, look, you can underline here.) It's so funny that anyone was even surprised about Adam getting on the list. I just sighed and rolled my eyes.

22 minutes ago, icecreamy said:

In one of the American commentaries/ice talks, I once heard someone bashing that Yuzuru is of course done after OG, because there is no reason for him to stay since he has it all. (AND no pick on me, I don't have any hate nor discontent on this comment, just look at my profile and you will see)  Although I am personally not in favor of such tone of dismissal and judgement, in a way Yuzu paid his dues, he paid it so completely now that he has every reason to experiment and re-engineer all his jumps in whatever way he wants to. 

This is quite an old fashioned attitude which I have noticed from US media- they seem stuck in the 70s and 80s when skaters in countries without state sponsored sport almost always automatically cashed in on their Olympic or Worlds success by going professional- like Brian Orser, Torville and Dean etc. because that was their only option to make some money out of all those years of hard work.  Now that they can have lucrative sponsorships and skate in shows in the off season there isn't quite the same financial need to rush out of competition.  Yuzuru according to his coach 'loves to skate' he seems to love to compete and likes to push the boundaries- he would have fun in shows but I think at the moment he would miss the rush of competition - I think he's like Pluschenko in that respect.  I don't know if he will go to Beijing and I wish people would stop asking about it- I do think that if his ankle continues to recover he will carry on for a while.  How long depends on many factors but I doubt  that the opinions of the media will be one of them.

POSITIVE USA MEDIA COMMENTARY ON YUZU: 

Scott Hamilton:  "Just his presence on the ice says 'I'm really comfortable being recognized as the greatest male skater in the world'...."

Tara:  "Aahh! Incredible moment! And these are the kind of things that make Yuzuru Hanyu such a well-balanced, complete skater. It's not just the jumps -- which are also incredible -- it's everything in between...."

Scott:  "Beautiful delayed axle -- a lost art in skating -- followed up by a triple. He's extraordinary...."

Tara (at end):  "Wow. The first man to win back to back Olympic titles since Dick Button in 1948 and 52; and he's still just 23 years old."

8 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

This is quite an old fashioned attitude which I have noticed from US media- they seem stuck in the 70s and 80s when skaters in countries without state sponsored sport almost always automatically cashed in on their Olympic or Worlds success by going professional- like Brian Orser, Torville and Dean etc. because that was their only option to make some money out of all those years of hard work.  Now that they can have lucrative sponsorships and skate in shows in the off season there isn't quite the same financial need to rush out of competition.  Yuzuru according to his coach 'loves to skate' he seems to love to compete and likes to push the boundaries- he would have fun in shows but I think at the moment he would miss the rush of competition - I think he's like Pluschenko in that respect.  I don't know if he will go to Beijing and I wish people would stop asking about it- I do think that if his ankle continues to recover he will carry on for a while.  How long depends on many factors but I doubt  that the opinions of the media will be one of them.

Yes, that's not "bashing," it's just stuck in the past.