General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I actually wouldn't mind Yuzuru skating to the YOI theme, it was probably my favorite thing from the anime lol But that comparison... I'm guessing they might not know the full implications of Yuri's admiration of Victor... (Although a part of me still thinks the anime is less BL and more teasing/fanservice, but that's a different topic lol Also, personally, I find Yuri Plisetsky more like a younger Yuzu, than anyone else in the anime. In ambition and talent, at least, because Yuzu would never be as outright rude as Yuri lol) Also, if Yuzu skated to the YOI theme... I don't even want to imagine the reactions from the more extreme fans... So we're all better off without it, I think...

The YOI theme is super pretty so I wouldn't mind but yeah the fan reactions put me off him ever skating to it lmao

Just now, CupidsBow said:

The YOI theme is super pretty so I wouldn't mind but yeah the fan reactions put me off him ever skating to it lmao

Actually, Yuzu skated to a song in Dreams on Ice 2013 that kind of reminds me a bit of the YOI theme...  too bad it was too short... (I watch that video every other day, though, I love it...)

20 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

in this case? because there was a mention of Yuzuru skating to the YOI theme with a link to what I assume was a fanvid which just made me laugh. Also it was jammed in and compared Yuzu's admiration for Plushenko to Yuri's admiration of Victor which is a wee bit creepy. Th article would've been better without it.

You said it before I could ^^

25 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

I havn't really read the article yet, so I might be wrong, but why would popculture of the country native to athlete lower professional perception of article? Aside of the fact it wasn't connected to him, unless we count his Sochi Gold as the incentive for producers to hope that another skating anime might be interesting, a la Asada-Arakawa pre-Turin situation for Ginban Kaleidoscope.

Adding to @CupidsBow's remark,   for general italian audience everything animated is usually seen as something for a younger audience (comics too), so if people like my parents read of a supposed connection of an athlete with something animated  (hence not so serious because it's "not for adults") they might frown or feel amused but take the athlete less seriously. I know it's unfair but it's the same reasoning of people dissing Yuzuru because he carries Pooh to the boards.

tho when I moved from my hometown to tuscany, where the biggest anime&comics event is held, I've noticed people there had a more open mentality. I suppose it's the same in the biggest cities too. 

8 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Adding to @CupidsBow's remark,   for general italian audience everything animated is usually seen as something for a younger audience (comics too), so if people like my parents read of a supposed connection of an athlete with something animated  (hence not so serious because it's "not for adults") they might frown or feel amused but take the athlete less seriously. I know it's unfair but it's the same reasoning of people dissing Yuzuru because he carries Pooh to the boards.

tho when I moved from my hometown to tuscany, where the biggest anime&comics event is held, I've noticed people there had a more open mentality. I suppose it's the same in the biggest cities too. 

Pooh is only funny/cutsey until you see the murderface, though...

But seriously, I know what you mean. Then again, people who judge him by that are probably also among those who just see a cute, androgynous boy when they look at him. I personally like it when people think that, and then come face to face with the real Yuzu on ice ( :P ), because that surprise is really fun to see. Though I guess some might not make it that far, and just dismiss him before they get to see the real him.

5 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I wonder if it's a cultural thing too. Living in East Asia, I've noticed that there is a different attitude towards "cute things" between the older guys (born before 1990) and the younger guys closer to Yuzu's age. I work with a nearly all-male team and notice that with the guys around the 25 and under age range (1990 and later), they have a lot more plushies and anime figurines on their desks. Some have very kawaii/moe seat and back cushions in their chairs. There's next to no disdain for it-on the contrary it's the norm. So my office, with a team of about 40+ guys, chances are that totoro plushy belongs to a 25 year old male, not one of the females on the team. A couple even have very moe humidifiers on their desks.

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Bless you, you said last year's injury. It's last year's. That makes me irrationally happy and totally emo!

1 hour ago, CupidsBow said:

I quote vboth of you mostly as a border marks- I ended up liking all of the post that came between these two  :biggrin:

56 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Maybe it's the matter of meeting face to face with the content? A la mentioned Yuzu's Pooh and Yuzu's murderface xD I know that my mother looked down on both male gymnasts and male figure skaters because when she was interested in FS and gymnastics, the common was to watch Ladies and ice dance mostly, since the men's were considered a competition so that male didn't have to complain about sports inequality, sorry I've read too much Singer jump competition. She changed her mind after I've shown her Yuzu (even though I might have to get deeper into gymnastics to convince her about this one as well). Plus, she still laughs at MOBA and the whole term of E-sports, but mostly because my brother can't explain it without getting angry at her for not understanding his passion. Probably :P

Honestly, maybe I'm just shocked because my field of study makes me appreciate any kind of mention, and ability of a non-popculture persona get mention in a popculture, in a positive light, no less(anybody can do something stupid and get parodied), is just something worth of a notice. Ability to catch attention of popculture recievers means that this person has a charismatic image and as such, the thing they are involved in has a bigger chance for succes/sustaining its popularity (and as such, sales) even if being from the so called niche.

44 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Pooh is only funny/cutsey until you see the murderface, though...

But seriously, I know what you mean. Then again, people who judge him by that are probably also among those who just see a cute, androgynous boy when they look at him. I personally like it when people think that, and then come face to face with the real Yuzu on ice ( :P ), because that surprise is really fun to see. Though I guess some might not make it that far, and just dismiss him before they get to see the real him.

Objectively speaking, he does wear clothes that make you see a cute boy...until you look at all those muscles. And then on the ice, people are blinded by sparkles and only see a replica of Johnny Weir...until they see all the quads...

So, objectively speaking, even if you trust only your eyes, Yuzuru Hanyu is just something else xD

3 hours ago, PapiandPooh421 said:

WOW!!! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Ooooooo another one of the pop up letter boxes for Yuzu! That's so cool!

The first one I saw was made by a Chinese fan, it was Yuzu costumes themed and super amazing too (I think she is looking for fellow fans to fill the blank spaces with messages!):

https://m.bilibili.com/video/av16985895.html

I can't art and craft that well for my life so I hope more talented fans can make these for him, I am sure he would totally have fun opening them!:pouty: