General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Damn, Nathan's BV is HUGE. :confused0066:

This is the reason why I'm so afraid for Hanyu next season and hopes he really prioritizes consistency (as he said) as that's an advantage at a time when we have several OGM favorites with strong feds. A higher BV was the same strategy that a young Hanyu used to beat Patrick when PCs was in Patrick's favor during the Sochi quad and now that even the young talents are getting enormous PCs and GOEs its all about who has a good day and lands or rotates their jumps. :(

Perhaps its a theory or gossip, I also read somewhere that judges do not like to give repeat gold medals? (although it's been done before). Hanyu may skate lights out and still get silver like Yuna.

My pessimism is making me sad and stressed for no reason since its all speculation and in the future anyway. Urgh

5 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

This is the reason why I'm so afraid for Hanyu next season and hopes he really prioritizes consistency (as he said) as that's an advantage at a time when we have several OGM favorites with strong feds. A higher BV was the same strategy that a young Hanyu used to beat Patrick when PCs was in Patrick's favor during the Sochi quad and now that even the young talents are getting enormous PCs and GOEs its all about who has a good day and lands or rotates their jumps. :(

Perhaps its a theory or gossip, I also read somewhere that judges do not like to give repeat gold medals? (although it's been done before). Hanyu may skate lights out and still get silver like Yuna.

My pessimism is making me sad and stressed for no reason since its all speculation and in the future anyway. Urgh

I was watching the pre-Sochi NHK special about that last night and thinking the same thing. I don't really care about the Olympics for reasons like this. To me it's like the Oscars - many Best Pictures are forgotten and losers remain classics. Not to mention luck regarding avoiding illness and injury. I just care because my favourite skater cares and I want the dangly shiny thing he wins to be in his favourite colour. 

1 時間前, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

The Russian to English translation is hilarious. Walnuts for some reason.

:laughing:

but I'm sure you can guess the meaning with laughs.  it is much better than Russian/Japanese with which we have no idea at all some times  :stars:, although it has become slightly better since last November.

Anyway, thanks to Google, I can now at least grasp the meaning of the languages which use letters just look symbols to me, including Russian, Korean, etc.  I used to understand only the numbers in the text.  I think Japanese looks the same to many of you :biggrin: 

Watch out , totally :offtopic: but for those who want some laughs :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I noticed in that Russian article that Yuzu's total BV is off. Should be 153.18.

I can't completely understand the table though.

Is it a compilation of highest combined BV (in same competition), highest BV in SP and highest BV in FP?

The numbers for the other skaters don't add up as well.

6 時間前, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

Nah, knowing Hanyu, he’d up his game a bit from last season, if not a lot, and if (big if, but I'm optimistic) Hanyu manages to build a good momentum and then skate his lights out with his layout on the Oly stage, he’s untouchable, even if everyone else in the field does the same, monster BV or no monster BV. This *is* the guy who scored over 330 total with (only) five quads across two programs, and none higher up on the BV totem than the 4S, when he managed to build good momentum, with no sane person questioning whether or not he deserved them. And no one, despite their higher BVs and better momentum, was able to come as close to those scores as Hanyu himself last season. So even though all of those are in the past now and may not have as huge a bearing on what happens in future seasons as we’d like, the pattern has been established and I’m confident that if Hanyu doesn’t easily give them a reason to mark him down, which means he steadfastly remains out of their whimsy, he’ll stay on top no matter how much the others get lifted. The judges may be biased but they’re not so irrational as to be clinically insane.

Sure, the Ollies is a different beast and a breeding ground for dirty politics that, if the powers behind it want to get really dirty, not even someone like Hanyu would be impervious to falling victim to unsavory machinations. But unless one of the other competitors somehow manages to miraculously, in one short year, do better than what had taken even someone of Hanyu’s physique and caliber decades of hard work, stubbornness and grit to achieve in becoming a complete skater,  if Hanyu loses the gold despite skating his best in all his career, then everyone watching would be able to clearly see, without doubt or gray area,  that the Games is now compromised to a point where it’s beyond redemption and watching future Games would be a complete waste of time. It’d be worse than what happened at Sochi 2014, I imagine, especially since, unlike Kim, Hanyu, had maintained a constant strong presence throughout the entire cycle and making history as much as propelling the sport forward just about every season.

If they want to go down that route still, that’s entirely up to them, but the one who has more to lose out of that debacle won’t be Hanyu, it’d be the ones who let it happen. So long as he has his ideal skate, gold medal or no, he’ll have no overt lingering regret. Which I imagine was the place Kim was in back when they decided to not give her the gold. There's no home ground advantage for any of the top contenders in any of the fields this time, but if it happens to him still, he’d not have his second gold, but he’d have his ideal skate, something that he didn’t have back when he actually did win gold. In other words, if I had to choose only between Hanyu skating his ideal skate and not getting the gold and him getting the gold but not his ideal skate (where his FS isn't clean), I’d rather it be the former…cos the latter’s already happened.

Still, may everything fall into place for the guy, and if it does, may the Olympian Gods remain on his side.

8 hours ago, Forcefield said:

A higher BV was the same strategy that a young Hanyu used to beat Patrick when PCs was in Patrick's favor during the Sochi quad and now that even the young talents are getting enormous PCs and GOEs its all about who has a good day and lands or rotates their jumps. :(

The strategy wouldn't have worked though, hadn't Patrick completely bombed his own program. Yuzuru didn't deliver his higher BV. Commentators were saying he was "handing over the gold medal to Patrick", at the time, and he was. The only thing that allowed him to win was Patrick's disaster. 

Meaning, higher BV only works if you deliver. For example, 4CC. Nathan delivered, Yuzuru didn't, and Nathan won by a few points (although, he probably wouldn't have won, hadn't some judges score been... somewhat ridiculous). 

That is the tricky thing. What if they all skate clean or close to it? Nathan, for example, will only get better in the second mark... and if he hits his target BV? We know yuzu should have better GOE, but sometimes he does not get them.  A clean yuzu may not win over those with clean higher bv.  It is the olympics, and I am a cynic. 

15 minutes ago, liv said:

That is the tricky thing. What if they all skate clean or close to it? Nathan, for example, will only get better in the second mark... and if he hits his target BV? We know yuzu should have better GOE, but sometimes he does not get them.  A clean yuzu may not win over those with clean higher bv.  It is the olympics, and I am a cynic. 

Yuzuru will have higher BV than last season. But he shouldn't have highest BV. The history said it, (aside from Sochi which was abnormal) the men who won Olympic until now were the men who skated cleanest, not the ones with highest BV. 

1 hour ago, meoima said:

Yuzuru will have higher BV than last season. But he shouldn't have highest BV. The history said it, (aside from Sochi which was abnormal) the men who won Olympic until now were the men who skated cleanest, not the ones with highest BV. 

i agree. That is usually the case... My scary scenario is where Nathan goes totally clean. I know everything is theoretical, but the question for me is how much improvement in his skating will there be, beyond the jumps, and if so, how much will the judges give him for it. If he has knock your socks off programs, and also skates perfectly, what happens if the other guys go clean too? What if, for the first time in forever, the top guys all skate perfectly at the Olympics?

That being said, I would love to see it. A perfect final flight. What a treat it would be for everyone.

6 minutes ago, liv said:

i agree. That is usually the case... My scary scenario is where Nathan goes totally clean. I know everything is theoretical, but the question for me is how much improvement in his skating will there be, beyond the jumps, and if so, how much will the judges give him for it. If he has knock your socks off programs, and also skates perfectly, what happens if the other guys go clean too? What if, for the first time in forever, the top guys all skate perfectly at the Olympics?

That being said, I would love to see it. A perfect final flight. What a treat it would be for everyone.

If that's the case, I hope his PCS doesn't just shoot up to Yuzu/Patrick/Javi level just because it's the Olympics.