General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, xeyra said:

Yeah, I was wondering if this would have been that kind of simulation, since the last time TCC did simulations, Yuzu didn't participate in them, but I think that was probably because it was out of TCC pre-Worlds simulations. 

Sorry I don't understand, why didn't Yuzu participate before? The simulation seems like its a good thing?

This is what makes figure skating unique as a sport though. Most of us, the fans and athletes, know in advance what a skater is going to bring in a competition in terms of base value (barring a YOLO skate - thanks zuzu). This is the beauty of the CoP if applied properly. It becomes a tool to build up your arsenal as a skater. Unfortunately, scoring has been all over the place recently. I can grudgingly accept (sort of) PCS inflation and deflation because it can be subjective and therefore easily manipulated. But GOEs are another matter. This is why I understand why people can go all gloomy about it. The judging is getting unpredictable and judges have been showering +3s and ignoring edge changes and cheated jumps. We don't know what types of politics will be in play. So it's understandable to have discussions on things that are actually tangible - the base values.

6 minutes ago, katonice said:

Actually, I thought simulations were done closer to the competition schedule. Like when Javi attended a simulation event in Canada a few weeks before Worlds last season. I guess it's really something that's done regularly.

Regular in house simulations makes sense to participate in. And these are in contrast to pre-Worlds simulations with other skating schools outside of TCC, which is apparently the kind Yuzu doesn't do. :laughing:

5 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Sorry I don't understand, why didn't Yuzu participate before? The simulation seems like its a good thing?

The pre-Worlds simulations at TCC is an open event, that's mean if Yuzu did it, media and fans would camped there, and no matter how he skate, it would add more pressure to him. 

Just now, xeyra said:

Regular in house simulations makes sense to participate in. And these are in contrast to pre-Worlds simulations with other skating schools outside of TCC, which is apparently the kind Yuzu doesn't do. :laughing:

Might be because of the number of people that would pop up to the event if they heard he'd be coming lol!

But yeah, you're right, I remember Javier Raya, Joshi Helgesson and Javi all attended the pre-Worlds simulation event last year.

It didn't occur to me to wonder why Yuzu didn't attend lol.

Honestly, I'm trying to put myself in Nathan's shoes. You're at the Olympics, warm-up finishes, you're up next. Your FS starts. You're concentrated. You do your first quad. SUCCESS! Okay, now there's six more quads to go. 

I mean, if he really goes clean with 6 or 7 quads at the Olympics, we really all should shake his hand, because that requires some damn mental strenght, boy! 

1 minute ago, meoima said:

Even if Yuzuru does Seimei 2.0 it does not matter if he delivers at the right time. The most important point is he should bring the 4lz consistently. I am sure he will do 4lz because that is his pattern.

For sure other men are trying to practice some new jumps or new layout, but as I have said, at the Olympic, it will come down to whoever will skate cleanest, and the BV does not play the biggest role most of the time. For example, it was not because of the lower BV that Patrick lost Sochi, it was because he messed even more than Yuzuru. In both SP and LP, Patrick had 4 mistakes (one scratchy lading 3A in SP, and 3 bad landings in the LP) while Yuzuru had 3 mistake (2 messed jump and 3S did not get counted). So it's still the one (among the top contenders) who made the least mistake to win. 

Going into the Olympic, judges will have like 3-6 main contenders and it all comes down to who will skate the cleanest. 

This is why I actually don't think he should try for 5 quads but try for consistency with a 4-quad layout with a 4Lz, because then the only new element he'd need to control is the 4Lz. He already has the stamina for 4-quads. And his BV would increase a lot, with that. 

7 hours ago, meoima said:

I am sure Yuzuru will do 4lz and at least 5 quads in LP. It is just Yuzuru as I know. 

Nathan might do just 6 quads if he thinks about his health but again I am not sure his team care about that. So 7 quads LP without transitions is possible.

Javi might mess a lot with 4Lo though... as he actually is the one who kept his layout for 4-5 seasons, so skating to a new layout might be quite dangerous.

I agree, I've said it before 4Lz + 5 is what I'm expecting as well.

I am honestly not sure about either Nathan or Javi though. I think Nathan will start with 6 and see how that goes. His layouts are unusually flexible so if he can land the 4Lo, depending on how it goes with the 6, he may simply throw it all out onto the table. On the other hand, 6 would still be the highest number out there and it is certainly impressive, while still less risky and requires less stamina, so this is where he'll start I think. A lot will depend on politicking too, if the USFSA can get him good PCS with 6, then maybe he'll hold at that then. 

As for Javi, providing he even goes for the 4Lo, then yes, this is pretty much the worst case scenario. He's suddenly shifting after so much time, and at the most awkward moment possible. It's an edge jump too. I wonder if he'll do what Brian mentioned in one of the interviews - go for the 4Lo as new with a 3 quad program and then during the season, expand the number of quads. It's what he suggested to Yuzuru last season and this particular tactic, considering the context, may fit Javi more. 

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

I'm not worried about BV. I just like the speculation and playing scenarios in my mind.

This is a sport and that is what all sport fans do, we speculate. You could say that we're talking about our starting line-ups here, where the technical elements are the players (would that make the 4T or the 3A the goalkeeper now in Yuzuru's case? I'd have easily made the case for the 3A before but after this season, 4T may have pushed it out!) This is the best part of the off-season for me, when we can let loose on all of it.

Anyway, I also think Shoma is the biggest threat. I took a look at that possible FS layout and if that is what it is, with the 4Lz for the opening jump, then it's a layout that's very good. It also allows for flexibility further down in the season if he feels like he can push it by swapping out that 4T combo and if not, it should be pretty stable, even with the 2nd half quads. 

@yuzupon Olympics are very special. It's why I love the most Eteri's approach to them, trying to instill from the start into her skaters that it's not actually the end all be all competition of anyone's career but just yet another one in the long line of them (which is something I agree with btw, is Kwan any less for the lack of an OGM? Certainly not, and she has done way more for skating than say Lipinski). It can't take away pressure completely, they don't live in a bubble but if you're brought up as an athlete with this mentality, it is bound to help. Who knows how they youngsters will react, they may sail through, they may not. And while experience and knowing what to expect certainly helps, that also isn't a guarantee of anything. Shoma has Yuzuru as a buffer, while Nathan is going to have to face much more of it, Boyang seems the most likely to handle it well. Javier wants a medal to round up a successful career, Yuzuru has immense internal and external pressure, Patrick is probably the one who now has the least of it. But on the day, who knows! Going clean is the goal. 

Just now, meoima said:

The point is he has been practice 5 quads in practice per my understanding of his interviews last season. He mentioned 3 quads in the second half at WTT was a good sign... So I think he really aims for 5 quads LP. 

He might as well go for it, then. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, katonice said:

Maybe since some of the skaters, like Jun Hwan, already have competitions coming up soon, so they're already starting with the simulations.

But yeah, I'm not a skater so I don't really know how often teams do this.

Yeah, Junhwan has a qualifying event in a few weeks (In the rink that is like a 30 minute walk from my apartment lol) I'm gonna go cheer for him and my other team korea faves.

47 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Welcome to our corner :biggrin:

I did do some math in the overrall skating layout thread. It does give credence to the fact it's not Nathan's 7-quads Yuzu will need to be worried about unless Nathan boosts up his GOEs, but Shoma's 4Lz. However, it's also something quite positive to look at. Of course, it only counts if one delivers... :biggrin: