[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

I feel sick for the skaters this man and federation has treated like dirt for the last few decades, and for the fact that the ISU just knowingly and willingly let him do it. This power struggle is the stuff of third world dictatorships, not sporting organizations where most of the members are underaged kids!

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

I feel sick for the skaters this man and federation has treated like dirt for the last few decades, and for the fact that the ISU just knowingly and willingly let him do it. This power struggle is the stuff of third world dictatorships, not sporting organizations where most of the members are underaged kids!

It's exactly because it's a sporting organization that someone like DG is able to rise and hold on to power. It's because no one takes it seriously when it's 'just sports', until it's too late .

Any activity/ organisation which involves an imbalance of power between adult figures and children and teenagers has to be rigorously policed.  Surely the church/school/care home etc scandals of the last few decades have taught us that.  It’s a pity sporting bodies don’t take as much notice of this as they do of doping.  Ten years ago a friend and I withdrew from an organisation involving children’s activities because the organiser couldn’t be made to see the need for proper safeguarding protocols.  They were regarded as ‘heavy handed’ and ‘unnecessary’.  I bet some of these children would have been grateful for some clear guidelines and information on who to turn to when the adults around them stepped over the line.

The story has reached the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51383835#share-tools

DG's press conference lasted 1h30 today. He was with his lawyer. Same old, denying everything, "forgetting" he supported a rapist in 2003... He attacked several ministers  as if it was the solution to save his a*s. A journalist brought up the Cipres affair and his lawyer dared to say that the affair was out of proportions for the reported facts. Pedophile facts. I almost puked.

Well