On 12/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Fulcher said:

Does anybody know what that caricature means?

It's related to a current political scandal in Japan. I don't want to go into that much detail, but basically the scandal is about a cherryblossom-viewing event organised by prime ministers since the 1950s. This year, it became controversial because Abe is accused of misusing funds and inappropriately using the event to gain political support. The event is attended by a lot of people, but every year successful athletes are amongst those invited. It seems Yuzu was invited but declined to go. That's what the caricature is about - it's making fun of Abe (the text under Abe is a pun that says 'dance of lavish feast/splendid banquet' while he's depicted throwing away trillions of yen, and the text under the picture says 'Hanyu-senshu's dance of surprise/even Hanyu-senshu is amazed by this behaviour'). I think the gist of it is that Yuzu was sensible to decline the invitation. But it's not like Yuzu was the only athlete who was invited and didn't go, apparently Shoma was the same, and probably lots of others. I guess Yuzu is just used in this comic because he's so well-known/liked. 

Here is a brief article about it. The article says it's not possible to know whether Yuzu declined intentionally or because he was just too busy to go, but in any case, it was an excellent decision in hindsight/Hanyu proves once again that he has really good sense. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...