2018/19 Coaching changes

1 hour ago, Lilona said:

Also it's hillarious to compare David Wilson and Aver... Aver is not so bad choreographer but as far as I know Wulson mb a Diva but much more promient and famous choreographer.

Ah, so this season we have Averbu vs Dave Wilson (and possibly Jeff Buttle and Shae Lynn).

Pick your fighter!

(Seriously, would love to see Averbu attempt to say "You're a not a good choreographer" to David Wilson's face-the reaction would be priceless.)

5 минут назад, LucyH сказал:

Very complimentary by Trankov. Thanks for the translation 

It's not mine xD But thanks

She is not a product.

Eteri: I said now intentionally two words - that may not be (sound) pleased for readers - "material" and "product". And Zhenya Medvedeva is a product of our factory.

In general there analysis why she left. In Zhenya's benefit

All this drama oh my God I'm cracking up keep em coming guys :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: don't hate on me I found these type of dramas hilarious af

So happy that Polina moved quietly over to a safe place! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: and all the best for Marin too! Hope she'll have a better season cause last season has been nothing but a downward spiral for her it's very hard to watch :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Ah, so this season we have Averbu vs Dave Wilson (and possibly Jeff Buttle and Shae Lynn).

Pick your fighter!

(Seriously, would love to see Averbu attempt to say "You're a not a good choreographer" to David Wilson's face-the reaction would be priceless.)

Oh gosh who would I pick between miming :blabla: :blabla: vs Notte stelatta :juggling: I can't wait to see what DW has in store for zhenya:popcorn:

Alexander Grishin, TAT's co-commentator, has some great opinion. He sympathised with both sides:

I can't say it all happened suddenly, we could expect something like this. We first 

heard of the roots of a possible conflict back in the Olympics in Korea. After the Games ended, after the awards ceremony there was a rumor that there is probably some tension between the athlete and the coach. I didn't witness it and I decided not to spread anything I heard. Thanks to the fact that our colleagues also decided not to disclose it, the situation stayed out of the public attention for about two months. Which I think is good.

Back in Pyeongchang it seemed that the situation can go as far as a break-up, which we see now. I couldn't help thinking that it will be hard for Tutberidze to pay much attention for both Medvedeva and Zagitova at the same time. I guess at the Olympics, it was harder for Eteri Tutberidze than for any other coach, including Orser. After all, Yuzuru Hanyu was the obvious favorite, while Javier Fernandez was among the dark horses. Meanwhile, both Zhenya and Alina were almost equally pretending to win the gold. In the end, everything was decided by one and a half point.

Moreover, if the gold and the silver were awarded in the other order, nothing terrible would have happened. There is no point in arguing with the results, they are absolutely fair, but the situation with Medvedeva's gold and Zagitova's silver would have seemed as legitimate.

That's where the emotions come into play. Medvedeva knew well that she is not the main favorite in Pyeongchang. While Zhenya treated her foot, Zagitova got into a perfect shape. Zhenya did everything possible in Pyeongchang, she commited herself to it without reserve, but it still was not enough. I assume it could be the last straw for her.

Of course, it were the same emotions that made Medvedeva say the words reminded by Tutberidze. Eteri Georgievna was very upset with it. After all, she spent 11 years with Zhenya, she cared about her. When I talked to Tutberidze in the end of the last year and on the Olympics, I saw that she wanted Zhenya's victory. Not more than Alina's, but no less.

It was especially upsetting for Tutberidze to learn about the break-up with Medvedeva not from her personally, but from aside. I wanted to believe that even if a break-up happens, it would be less dramatic, but it happened the other way. Unfortunately, it often happens with individuals of such scale in figure skating.

I think she shouldn't have publicized their conversations. But please understand both sides: emotions overwhelm them, there is a grudge in both of them. Just look at their colleagues, in what state an athlete goes to a mixed zone after a match, especially after an unsuccessful one. You can sometimes hear things that they wouldn't allow themselves in a day after that.

The parting can be beneficial for both Medvedeva and Tutberidze. They will be free from bonds that probably restricted them both: first, the necessity to show results, second, for the coach - to lead the other athletes in the usual way, third, for the athlete - to be an undoubted leader in the team.

I know Zhenya well, she's a wonderful, well-mannered, humane person. She likes learning, she knows how to compete. Many things come to her much harder than to others - I know this from private conversations with her coaches. Medvedeva is a self-made woman. With her hard work and her perservance she shows that even without a wonderful talent of the others you can become the number 1 in the world.

I've seen human feelings between Medvedeva and Tutberidze which they try not to show on public. They both made a good impression on me. Tutberidze may seem not to remove her mask of an iron lady ever, but when she reveals herself - I've witnessed it a couple of times - she becomes very prepossessing.

I can't remember how I got Medvedeva's phone number, it's like I always had it. We first met in the end of 2015. I can't remember Zhenya ever addressing me with "vy", despite the big difference in age. It's easy to talk to her, really! After her first season, we were making a big interview for some major edition. Prior to that, I met Medvedeva somewhere near the Khrustalny rink, we talked about something. At the time, no one was recognizing Zhenya, already the Russian, European and World champion, she said she has no problem travelling by the Metro. So I told her I didn't at all expect such results. "You think I did?" - she replied. A very characteristic words of hers.

She doesn't look at the world with her eyes wide open anymore - after all, she has faced with an adult life.

One of the last times we talked was during the rumors about Armenia. She responded with some smileys. Of course, it's an utter nonsense, absolutely baseless speculations. Some people think it would be easier for her to get to the world and European championships under the Armenian flag. Be sure, Zhenya will easily qualify and take part in them in the Russian team, no matter what competition is in it. (He has so much faith in her, and I too. It’ll be difficult, but if someone can do it, it is Zhenya)

I hope moving to one of the strongest coaches of the planet will reset Medvedeva. Brian Orser earned the reputation of one of the top 3 single's coaches in the world. As for 2018, there are also Arutyunyan and Tutberidze herself. By the examples of Yuna Kim, Hanyu and Fernandez, Orser showed that he can achieve success. He managed to get the maximum out of Gabrielle Daleman, a skater with an athletic style of skating. Brian can reveal all sides of Medvedeva's talent, including the ones we haven't seen before. And I hope that thanks to the work with Orser, Zhenya will stay competitive among the technically superior skaters.

Eteri Georgievna will also feel more free - she won't be torn between such stars as Medvedeva and Zagitova.

I want to believe that the cooperation with Tutberidze will stay fruitful for Zagitova. There are now fewer senior athletes in her team, Alina is now a pronounced prima. Maybe she will now get the attention Medvedeva had in 2016 and 2017.

I'm sure Medvedeva will not suffer the same fate as Sotnikova. First, she likes competing. Second, she still lacks the Olympic gold. For at least the next four years Medvedeva will work really hard to stay in the top of ladies' figure skating.

From dante at Zhenya FF https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51695-Evgenia-Medvedeva/page577

Nah, I still stand by my opinion that Tutbe should not have done any of what she did on Sunday.

I understand completely why she would be upset. I still don't think what she did is justifiable.

Bringing in another pop culture reference from a show I adore as a comparison:

drN8D.gif

Well, Alexander might try to symphatize Eteri this time. But c'mon, this is not her first time saying bad things about skaters who wanna leave her. Well, was she that emotional with them too? That's why she bashed them? Meh.

:snbleh:

I feel like he was trying to calm down both parties....but maybe it’s just me. Of course, I dislike very much, even disgust, Eteri’s reactions (lying, trashing her own student on TV, dragging another student into this mess, etc.). But in media war, I don’t think Zhenya can win over Eteri, simply because she was her coach, and people (general public) would trust Eteri more than her. So whats the point of fighting a fight she can’t win? Just give her a bit of nice words to calm her down, and don’t engage more with media. Which are what Zhenya did. Girl is smart.