Team Russia

This would be such a Games changer... I have mixed feelings.... as a figure skating fan it feels very wrong to exclude them... but in sports where we have seen repeated doping infractions, I agree with it....  

Interesting to see how the Russian skaters react to this decision performance wise, no matter what is decided, considering GPF is days away... 

Whose idea was it to have Evgenia speak? 

1 hour ago, liv said:

This would be such a Games changer... I have mixed feelings.... as a figure skating fan it feels very wrong to exclude them... but in sports where we have seen repeated doping infractions, I agree with it....  

Interesting to see how the Russian skaters react to this decision performance wise, no matter what is decided, considering GPF is days away... 

Whose idea was it to have Evgenia speak? 

Yeah I feel like whatever this decision it's going to loom over an already strange GPF.  

15 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

:13877886:

:sadPooh::sadPooh::sadPooh:

I can't believe that until it happens. Just the thought of no Zhenya, no T/M or S/K :cry::smiley-sad021::smiley-sad016: what a mess.

I haven't followed the whole debate nor I know in detail what's happened till now (I only learned that Adelina was cleared and till now no figure skater has been disqualified), so feel free to correct me if I'm making wrong assumptions about the whole doping scandal.

It feels so wrong for all of those people who had nothing to do with doping (and I mean the athletes, but also Russian people. Our fellow Russian satellites:consoling2:) . But I understand that IOC would need to send a message, that such behaviour will end in the punishment of the whole country, so to force countries to actively fight doping instead of being compacent or promoting it. So from that point of view it would be understandable, I'd even agree, because IOC needs to have some credibility and Russian authorities not being very cooperative is a clear challenge.

To allow athletes to compete under neutral flag, even if sad for the athletes, would be a punishment but also an attempt to let sport and olympic spirit win. But they might not even let the athletes decide by themselves if they still want to compete. :sad4:

So apparently the only way left to see russian skaters at Olys would be if IOC does as for Rio, which isn't likely, given how winter sports were heavily involved in the scandal and now IOC knows more about what's happened. and how it's happened. So allowing skaters to compete under neutral flag looks already as the milder option on the table:13877886:

Tbh I don't think suggesting boycott of olys will do any good in swaying IOC to be softer.

But I am so sad. This season can still get worse than it is :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

Yikes, the signs aren't looking good if we can believe Inside the Games. 

Well... I wonder what it would take to persuade Putin/higher ups not to boycott the Olympics if the IOC hands down a ruling against Russia. I suppose if there were athletes so beloved by the nation that there would be mass public anger at the thought of them not competing at the Olympics at all? I'm not too familiar with the Russian sporting scene to know but would the priority be more on the Summer Olympics?

According to my newspaper this morning, although Putin has said that a ban would be 'humiliating' a spokesman 'insisted' that even if a ban is imposed Russia will not prevent those cleared to compete as neutrals from doing so.

Well, we'll know in a few hours.

Yeah, all these hints that keep coming from insiders that Russia will only be allowed to participate under the neutral flag makes me believe that'll be the decision we'll hear today. But whether Putin allows it or not is less certain.