Team Russia

16 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Oh no, I didn't imagine that at all.

I supposed, like I think everybody else, that the message came from her parents. Plushenko writing it didn't come to my mind.

And I was speaking of the meaning of one particular sentence, though I preferred quoting also the previous one : "I am sure we will meet again and I will have the opportunity to tell him this in person." ("Уверена, мы еще не раз встретимся и у меня будет возможность сказать ему это лично.")

I didn't see (and still don't see) any other interpretation of this particular sentence, in this context, that Alexandra Trusova's parents were aware of an attempt to recruit Sergei Dudakov, by Evgeni Plushenko and his team.

I didn't imagine either, it was meant to be read by Sergei Dudakov, but by Eteri Tutberidze "and the world". Like all the flower thing.

You see no other possible way for a skater and a skating coach to meet in a post-pandemic world other than to be in a working relationship? All of those gala and banquet photos people upload with Yuzu must be photoshopped, then. 

13 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

You see no other possible way for a skater and a skating coach to meet in a post-pandemic world other than to be in a working relationship? All of those gala and banquet photos people upload with Yuzu must be photoshopped, then. 

What I thought is, if it had this meaning, it wouldn't be written about him only, and with such insistence.

(Plus, it wouldn't fit the general tone of the letter, I think.)

Another interpretation I dismissed, would be that they would want to wound the trust Eteri Tutberidze has in Sergei Dudakov : I don't see how Alexandra Trusova's parents would have been taken in such a gratuitous act. Plus, I  don't think Evgeni Plushenko would have launched such a wicked thing. Maybe Sergey Rozanov as I know practically nothing of his character, should he feel a grudge against him, but I really doubt it could be.

11 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

What I thought is, if it had this meaning, it wouldn't be written about him only, and with such insistence.

(Plus, it wouldn't fit the general tone of the letter, I think.)

Another interpretation I dismissed, would be that they would want to wound the trust Eteri Tutberidze has in Sergei Dudakov : I don't see how Alexandra Trusova's parents would have been taken in such a gratuitous act. Plus, I  don't think Evgeni Plushenko would have launched such a wicked thing. Maybe Sergey Rozanov as I know practically nothing of his character, should he feel a grudge against him, but I really doubt it could be.

I know that this situation may be exciting, but I think you read too much into it.

Just now, Paskud said:

I know that this situation may be exciting, but I think you read too much into it.

Not exciting at all. Rather worrying as a whole (and reading that Tatiana Tarasova voiced this concern, rather aggravated my worry as I know I am such an ignorant, but she is not, and she isn't biased against Evgeny Plushenko either!)

And as to this particular letter, I see it as trying to excite Eteri Tutberidze's anger, like Evgeny Plushenko's "flower series", it makes me somehow ashamed for him but only slightly, that sort of thing will pass.

So I am not excited, I just read, and where it seems to me obvious, I read also "between the lines" (provided I can).

Here, the plain meaning didn't fit, just as "I am sure I will still have a chance to give my great coach more than one bouquet of her favourite flowers." doesn't seem to be readable to its plain meaning.

3 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Here, the plain meaning didn't fit, just as "I am sure I will still have a chance to give my great coach more than one bouquet of her favourite flowers." doesn't seem to be readable to its plain meaning.

It does.

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

not sure if there's a link to the whole thing but ISU seriously needs to enforce health and safety standards, especially in regards to children.

Rafael Arutyunyan spoke a bit of it in his last interview, explaining it by the fact in Russia "ice is free" while in US, Canada and many other countries every minute of on-ice training is made the most of because it is so expensive, this difference of perception of time on ice leading to differences in training.

But this limitation on ice time, while leading to situations which seem somehow unfair to continental Europeans like me (only the wealthy can become figure skaters, it can seem irrational but it is rather deeply rooted), also favoured the development of a new skill : the optimisation of ice time, which happens to be much better for the skaters' health, though I doubt jumps on a hard floor are that wholesome either, if they are the ersatz chosen instead of on-ice jumps.

And Russia doesn't have acquired this competence yet.

I hope they will.

I don't think training on ice vs training off-ice have any implication in artistry, as the most artistic skater (by far) is also the one who has less on-ice training (by far, too, at least among the "top dozens", isn't it?)

While in ballet traditional training with ballet movements must remain the main exercise, otherwise dancers lose their grace. But they do it on special floors to prevent injuries, and are very sensitive to it. Paris Opera Ballet even had a serious issue in the last decades, the Bastille and Garnier floors being of different types (Arlequin Liberty, if I remember well, for the former, and traditional "floating" wooden floor for the latter), giving them frequent injuries, which could be solved only by topping the Garnier floor with the same floor as Bastille.

In figure skating, there can be neither floating floor nor sprung blades, so with the same time of on-ice training, the harder the jumps, the more injuries I suppose. Though the team medics must give advice too, as to optimising, not ice time, but the movements of harder effect on the body? Were they already around when Evgenia Medvedeva was there? I wonder how the team are addressing the problem, if they address it at all of course, but I rather think they do. Though maybe not reconsidering global on-ice time. I wonder too, if there is a global Russian reflection on this, but I tend to think there is not, from the absence of any public communication about preventing injuries.

7 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

not sure if there's a link to the whole thing but ISU seriously needs to enforce health and safety standards, especially in regards to children.

Wow, when you think about it, that's a crazy amount of work...basically 16 minutes straight of competition level skating, non stop, over and over again. I mean yes she could take it a little easy on the warmup parts but oof! And how long would it take her to get to the point of 'her body couldn't do anymore'? Two hours? Three? 

Guess the joke about 'Eteribots' isn't so far off the mark.