Team Russia

2 hours ago, Yume said:

Yes, i can. As in men, there is no one who dominated the season above every other Russian in ladies (since Zagitova results are nothing apparently), and there is only one skater who was enough solid at least in last competitions to earn a spot without question by general opinion (Samarin and Samodurova. Even if imo Zagitova too earned a spot without question).

But i repeat, i was only wondering, not saying that Lazukin deserves a spot.

Happy birthday to Eteri btw.

I don't think anyone questions that Alina's spot is rightful if we consider the results of the whole season. But RusFed has different selection criterias and there's some logic in it when the field is so deep as it is in Russia now. 

When I said that you can't compare the ladies and men, I meant that there are far more ladies who are consistent or are getting consistent again and who could go to Worlds and compete there with relatively good results than men skaters who  - with the exception of Samarin - have been inconsistent throughout the season and have many issues mental or injuries, I don't know. Whether it's Kolyada, Kovtun, Lazukin, Aliev or others. 

I will be okay with any decision probably because I have no favourites in this field. The only skater I didn't really want to see at Worlds was Konstantinova but she is out of question now.

46 minutes ago, Fay said:

Given the way Kolyada has just skated his FS in Tallinn, the Federation’s troubles deepened. I guess they have just to have a draw who gets to the Worlds among women and men. 

I think despite bombing that hard Kolyada will be sent to worlds. Unless he doesn't want to.

A draw for men is not a bad idea:laughing:. Not for women though.

48 minutes ago, Fay said:

Given the way Kolyada has just skated his FS in Tallinn, the Federation’s troubles deepened. I guess they have just to have a draw who gets to the Worlds among women and men. 

At least in women's the choices are pretty good, but holy molly, what's up with Russian men. 

Is Kolyada still recovering? Does Aliev have an injury or is he actually that much of a headcase?

They have quads, so clearly they're talented, but they can't seem to put it all together. Is it a question of the amount of training? Training methods? Stability? Just the mental game? It's just so puzzling.

I'd say

Kolyada, Samarin, Kovtun

Tukt, Zagi, Samodurova

But they're going to be announced soon! :P I'm kinda shocked there haven't already been leaks, but I guess they were still waiting for Kolyada to perform and make both decisions at once?

In all this, I forget, what are we getting for Pairs? B/K and T/M? ID is S/K and S/B, right?

15 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

I'd say

Kolyada, Samarin, Kovtun

Tukt, Zagi, Samodurova

But they're going to be announced soon! :P I'm kinda shocked there haven't already been leaks, but I guess they were still waiting for Kolyada to perform and make both decisions at once?

In all this, I forget, what are we getting for Pairs? B/K and T/M? ID is S/K and S/B, right?

If they can announce them today, or very early tomorrow...

Pairs have only two spots? I thought it was three. 

Sorry if I'm rehashing - it only just now occurred to me to check this thread.  But I'm so confused as to why Voronov isn't in any of these smaller competitions unless he's still sick or injured.  I realize that he has no chance at medaling at worlds but neither does Kovtun and Voronov has had a much better international season.  

It's looking like the men's team is going to be Kovtun, Samarin, and Kolyada.  Samarin's had the best international season and is the only one who's performances are getting better so I think he's a no brainer.  Kolyada will likely be in top 10 even if he bombs hard and is the only Russian man that has a realistic chance to medal without needing the big 3 to completely implode (though he's still depending on mistakes) so I feel like he should have his place on the team in spite of the horrible outings.

Aliev and Kovtun (and Kolyada) are all head cases so you would think the Russian fed would want someone more stable to try to secure 3 spots and Voronov looks like the most reliable of the 3.  It seems like there's almost as much reason for a men's skate off for worlds as there is for a ladies' skate off.  In a way, it's seems more important since the men are in danger of losing a spot whereas I can't even imagine that happening with the ladies.

So far the Federation representative has said that there’s unlikely to be any definitive decision for the list for the World Championship - the Federation is likely to submit the list including substitutes and see later what may happen. 

So if you were holding your breath, you might as well relax now, it seems.