Introductions

Hydroblade

Hello!

Twenty-something year old American fan here - I've always had an on-and-off interest in figure skating until I watched a certain skater at the Olympics this year. I've lurked here pretty much since then. I finally decided to make an account because I'm pretty sure my poor husband needs me to find someone else to talk about skating (and Yuzu in particular) with. :embSwan:

1 minute ago, river said:

Hello!

Twenty-something year old American fan here - I've always had an on-and-off interest in figure skating until I watched a certain skater at the Olympics this year. I've lurked here pretty much since then. I finally decided to make an account because I'm pretty sure my poor husband needs me to find someone else to talk about skating (and Yuzu in particular) with. :embSwan:

Hello, hello, welcome to the madhouse Planet!!

Aww your poor husband can probably have a drink with the other SOs/families here because they all suffered in similar ways but hopefully we shall help out a bit from now on! And you're just in time for the first seasonal gushing when the new programs are revealed. Perfect timing :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I also just noticed this topic although I've been here for a while :tumblr_inline_mnz5bjK4an1qz4rgp:

I'm 22 and an university student. I'm originally from Finland but have been living abroad for a few years. Figure skating is relatively popular in Finland and I always liked watching it on TV growing up, but I only got really into it when I lived in Japan and there was more hype about it. I followed the ladies' field more closely before - I was sort of aware of Yuzu for a long time but only became a fan during Pyeongchang. After that I've been obsessed :D I was really lucky to be able to see Yuzu live for the first time this summer, in FAoI. Now I'm back in Europe, but I'd love to go back to Japan after I graduate. 

I've been haunting this place for months but I missed that there was an intro post. Hello!

I'm a fs fan from back in the day, though not as far back as many others (two of my faves were Slutskaya and Yagudin, if that gives you a timeframe), though I fell out of it for a while. During this off-time I had heard in the Canadian news that PChiddy didn't get gold as expected in Sochi, but didn't really look much at the guy who beat him, or watch any of the programs. I just knew he was very young. Then, this year, I stumbled across Yuzu's pre-Pyeongchang New York Times profile. I read that and was fascinated by this weird Pooh rock star guy, watched the first video I came across - it was 'Let's Go Crazy' - and when I saw this guy in the hideous (I did not appreciate it at first) purple jumpsuit hit that knee slide to the guitar solo, I went "who the F*CK do you think you are?" Then I saw pictures of him crawling on the floor behind Shoma and realized that in addition to being a boss and pretty cute he was also a delightful troll, and from there, I was hooked. :) 

Not So Fun Fact: One of the last of Yuzu's programs I watched was Parisienne Walkways; I thought the title sounded kind of dull, so I kept putting it off to watch something else instead. Shows how smart I am.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for quite a while but only now I've decided to actually join - just in time to share the excitement for the new season with all of you! I'm Italian and I have been following FS since roughly 2010 - needless to say that Yuzu is my all time favorite :) I hope to have fun here this season!

1 minute ago, yoloaxel said:

@Fay so much! Although I used to follow only major competitions back then! I have started following Yuzu's BTS adventures a lot more recently than that, in the past couple of years :) 

It takes a while to succumb wholly to him, I know. And it takes a while to pluck up your courage and start posting - I remember my first timid outing in the FF in GS. Welcome, make yourself comfortable and don’t hesitate to butt in to any ongoing conversation! 

6 hours ago, yoloaxel said:

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for quite a while but only now I've decided to actually join - just in time to share the excitement for the new season with all of you! I'm Italian and I have been following FS since roughly 2010 - needless to say that Yuzu is my all time favorite :) I hope to have fun here this season!

Hello, hello, welcome to Planet! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Hello! :) I've been following figure skating (and Yuzuru) for almost a year now. I've been watching a bit of figure skating since I was a child but I stopped after Sochi. I came across a few fanarts and gifs on tumblr last year and I liked them so much that I decided to watch a few real performances. Well, I've watched Hope and Legacy and that's how I started to follow figure skating closely. I remember I wanted to have a schedule with all events in the season, particularly challengers and I found it on Planet Hanyu. After a week or so I registered and I've been lurking since then. I've finally gathered courage to delurk because I think everyone in real life is fed up with me and my love for figure skating. Well, I talk a lot about it :68468287: 

I hope this season will be fun and I'm looking forward to watching competitions together  :10636614: 

1 hour ago, Rhea said:

Hello! :) I've been following figure skating (and Yuzuru) for almost a year now. I've been watching a bit of figure skating since I was a child but I stopped after Sochi. I came across a few fanarts and gifs on tumblr last year and I liked them so much that I decided to watch a few real performances. Well, I've watched Hope and Legacy and that's how I started to follow figure skating closely. I remember I wanted to have a schedule with all events in the season, particularly challengers and I found it on Planet Hanyu. After a week or so I registered and I've been lurking since then. I've finally gathered courage to delurk because I think everyone in real life is fed up with me and my love for figure skating. Well, I talk a lot about it :68468287: 

I hope this season will be fun and I'm looking forward to watching competitions together  :10636614: 

Hello, welcome, you can gush about Yuzu and FS as much as you like here - you will never bore us! 

4 hours ago, Rhea said:

I've finally gathered courage to delurk because I think everyone in real life is fed up with me and my love for figure skating. Well, I talk a lot about it :68468287: 

In other words you are just like the rest of us here! :68468287:

But at least we've found other kindred spirits and we can go on, and on, and on, to our heart's content. Welcome, welcome, and I hope you have lots of fun here.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have introduced myself in one of the international threads, but not here yet...here goes...

I first heard of Yuzu (probably) from his Sochi victory — the way I remember this is that I saw a meme of Yuzu in my twitter timeline (in which Yuzu's finishing pose from R&J2.0 was edited in various ways, adding magic circle on the ice and whatnot :graucho:).

After a long while I think I searched for his performance on youtube and stumbled upon his R&J1.0 and some of his other programs (Seimei 1.0 included I think :think:), but that still doesn't pull me into full FS fandom. It was only during last season (I know, not exactly the best timing) I decided to go into the fandom, and I enjoy it ever since :joy:.

(I must add however that I have been aware of the existence of figure skating since I first tried ice skating in a fancy mall in a city I lived in — which I think is around 2004/2005, but then figure skating broadcast was even scant on cable TV channels in my country, so not much exposure to begin with until the youtube era.)

I come from Indonesia, currently living in Belgium (so if you see me supporting the Belgian skaters — that's why). Aside from my native Indonesian, you can speak to me in English (obvs lol), German, even Dutch (but don't ask about my French — it's broken beyond repair :headdesk: — heck it seems even that my Japanese now is better than my French :tumblr_inline_n2pjcykAXc1qdlkyg::cry:).

Glad to meet you all! :wave: