4 minutes ago, obscurite said:

That's more eloquently put than what I could ever come up with! Because oh jeez. Oh,,, jeez. that position. Although oddly enough, I think it fits really well into his Chopin sp?? Something about the dissonance of the ending octaves of the Ballade matches the butt spin... somehow..... :shrug:

I agree, actually. It doesn't bother me as much in Chopin. Not exactly sure why, either.

I agree with the "Gosh, I wish he would just not... That is... not... good." sentiment on RJ1s A-spin. I don't particularly mind the spin if it's short (only 3 revolutions), but I don't really want to look at your butt for that long, Yuzu, especially when you were 17. :headdesk:

Speaking of butt spins, is there a name for Shoma's variation in this combo spin of his? 

25 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Apparently~ But I'm not sure where, I just saw someone laughing about it on twitter.

I know many Shoma fans. None of them would claim that Shoma doesn't need to improve his jumps, but some people go too far. I like Shoma, I enjoy his skating, I am still aware he has issues with his jumps that need to be fixed. Many Shoma fans are aware his jumps are not great but also know that improvement takes time. I do feel though that this got blew out proportion because the conversation did not really need to go any further than 'yikes that was a really bad attempt at a 4lz, he shouldn't add it'. It was a training video. If he had made that same attempt in a competition and the judges had not given it an edge call or addressed the UR then it would make more sense to discuss his technique and the issues with judging to this level (though hopefully without the nastiness/the nasty suggestions about Shoma) but it wasn't. The problem is not discussing technique but there is nothing constructive, some of the comments are outrageous either in hyperbole or in accusations of intent/cheating, but also that it's an over-reaction to a short clip from a training session. But welcome to Olympic season! Anyone who is a rival to others' faves will get attacked. Yuzu is getting it for his music choices, Shoma is getting it for his jumps, Nathan will probably get it when the season starts for his PCS again...

I actually can't think of anything specific I dislike about Yuzuru's skating :P 

This is when it's good to be a Boyang fan, I don't think he's been attacked, yet. Actually neither has Pchan. Flying under the radar so much...

15 minutes ago, katonice said:

I am not particularly bothered by the A-spin myself lol.

Come to think of it, is there anyone who people would say had a nice A-spin?

In recent memory? No. I think Stephane Lambiel had one too, and even he failed to make it look good. Skater butt and A-spins are not a good combo. 

13 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Speaking of butt spins, is there a name for Shoma's variation in this combo spin of his? 

Hmm...looks like a variation of a corkscrew spin+ an A spin. So Corkscrew A? 

4 часа назад, SSS сказал:

Just curious, does Patrick skate faster than Yuzu in competitions now?

It's hard to compare cuz it depends on the programme too. Yuzu can be the fastest during the SP, the pace is more steady in FS, I'd say Yuzu and Patrick have almost the same speed in FS, Jason also has great speed.

In terms of jumps Patrick and Javi have big and powerful 4T, Boyang has amazing 4Lz but other jumps are good, not outstanding, Nate has good jumps, Shoma has great 3A for his hight. Yuzu has very good hight and great distance on his jumps, 4Lo at WC SP was mindblowing. Speaking of hight I must say about Mikhail Kolyda - his hight on 3A and 3Lz is amazing, if he can master that 4Lz it will be a beauty.

8 minutes ago, Lunna said:

It's hard to compare cuz it depends on the programme too. Yuzu can be the fastest during the SP, the pace is more steady in FS, I'd say Yuzu and Patrick have almost the same speed in FS, Jason also has great speed.

In terms of jumps Patrick and Javi have big and powerful 4T, Boyang has amazing 4Lz but other jumps are good, not outstanding, Nate has good jumps, Shoma has great 3A for his hight. Yuzu has very good hight and great distance on his jumps, 4Lo at WC SP was mindblowing. Speaking of hight I must say about Mikhail Kolyda - his hight on 3A and 3Lz is amazing, if he can master that 4Lz it will be a beauty.

I think overall we're just lucky....each skater really has maybe one or 2 things for us to nitpick on, sometimes none. 10 years ago, we'd be nitpicking on mutliple fronts of even the best 2-3 guys. It's amazing this time, it feels like we're finally seeing live, how men's figure skating is meant to be. 

Speaking of Mikhail, the boy has amazing jumps and I think he's what, only about Nate's height? And very fun programs too. 

1 минуту назад, Xen сказал:

I think overall we're just lucky....each skater really has maybe one or 2 things for us to nitpick on, sometimes none. 10 years ago, we'd be nitpicking on mutliple fronts of even the best 2-3 guys. It's amazing this time, it feels like we're finally seeing live, how men's figure skating is meant to be. 

Speaking of Mikhail, the boy has amazing jumps and I think he's what, only about Nate's height? And very fun programs too. 

If we remmember how quads were telegraphed 10 years ago :facepalm: but it was normal then.

Mikhail seems to be higher, ISU says he is 167cm vs Nate's 165

4 minutes ago, Lunna said:

If we remmember how quads were telegraphed 10 years ago :facepalm: but it was normal then.

Mikhail seems to be higher, ISU says he is 167cm vs Nate's 165

Wait, Mikhail is only 167cm? He looks taller for some reason! 

Oh no, I like that A spin in Chopin so much... on the piano you have an 'ugly' interval (raised 4th, B flat - E) and to fit that Yuzuru changes spin position with a 'weird' looking spin! It suits the music very much I think! But of course, I wouldn't mind he showed us new spin positions... with which I would fall in love surely. 

I may be one of those boring fans whom love everything about the skater they admire :laughing: Although I can objectively say 'that is not ideal', my heart says 'whatever' :smiley-love017:

12 hours ago, Smultron said:

Ohhhh, what a relief, I'm not the only one who dislikes that A-spin in Chopin. I feel like it kind of ruins the perfection that Chopin is..

There is a reason A spins are viewed as the worst of the worst! Honestly, Yuzu still has one of the better ones though. Comes with generally being a great spinner (when he doesn't plan his YOLO'ing in between, of course).

To be honest, sometimes I think his spins are a bit underrated by now.

11 minutes ago, Joey said:

There is a reason A spins are viewed as the worst of the worst! Honestly, Yuzu still has one of the better ones though. Comes with generally being a great spinner (when he doesn't plan his YOLO'ing in between, of course).

To be honest, sometimes I think his spins are a bit underrated by now.

Agree 100%! I don't mind the buttspin except for R+J1 because it seemed to go on forever... I love the variations he does with his hands during spins... so in tune with the music. And he's exploring more variations this season. I absolutely can't wait - the ones we've seen at FaOI for Chopin 3.0 were already exquisite. /I miss you and your comments and explanations on jumps and FS elements:7938863:/

13 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Agree 100%! I don't mind the buttspin except for R+J1 because it seemed to go on forever... I love the variations he does with his hands during spins... so in tune with the music. And he's exploring more variations this season. I absolutely can't wait - the ones we've seen at FaOI for Chopin 3.0 were already exquisite. /I miss you and your comments and explanations on jumps and FS elements:7938863:/

Haha, yes, and it was always soooo slooow in R&J1, because that seemed to be the point where he was running out of gas and hadn't yet refueled by warrior scream :laughing: and yes, the hand variations are amazing. It's especially standing out because his hands are super elegant and lovely in general, and he just moves them during spins in the same natural way he does throughout the whole program, making them look even more embedded into the whole program. (I hope that makes sense!)

Awww thank you! I'll try to comment more again from now on :heart:

36 minutes ago, Joey said:

It's especially standing out because his hands are super elegant and lovely in general, and he just moves them during spins in the same natural way he does throughout the whole program, making them look even more embedded into the whole program. 

I do not think I can explain to you adequately how I feel about the 2nd Chopin spin. His hands just ... guh. There are no adequate words. In general I think that spins these days are something to do, check the box and that's it. Apart from Deniss, it's really difficult for me to think of a guy right now who has such detail and natural expression during the spins. And Yuzuru's hands ... well, yes. Guh!