6 hours ago, Fay said:

Millions. 
See? They are BUSY

what is this? Pure as Ice certificate? So all it takes is to just follow and then one gets merch?

(is it normal that ISU gives merch for a course? Shouldn't they just make this kind of course manadatory for every offcial, skater, coach etc etc)

ETA: actually... I've done this:embSwan:  Now I'm certified as Pure as Ice :angel3-smiley:

WHERE ARE MY GOODIES THO?:curse:

(unless 50 people beat me to that... but they should at least be gracious enough to let me know...unless this, too, was a scam and merch was only ever meant for fed buddies&co, not for a nobody who doesn't even skate LOL)

RE: Universiade

so it's postponed. I guess that cancellation in a strong possibility, but puzzling that ISU would go ahead and say "cancelled" instead of "postponed" as per official news:drama:

I wonder though, with a comp scheduled for as late as January being "postponed"....will ISU still run GP? Of course Universiade is by far a bigger comp compared to a fs event, even more so a "modified GP", but it's kind of ironic we're all still here, waiting for an update. Not one word yet about the logistics for comps that will start in two months:dontknow: 

@Rinnarsev re: the multiple falls deductions, the rule was changed after 2014-2015 (in part I think also after Yuzuru's CoC14 FS), before that every fall just got -1, and the negative GOE of course (indeed, Yuzu's FS in CoC with 5 falls got a -5 deduction)

I think they have further tweaked the deductions at least one more time, maybe after olyimpic season when they introdced the +-5 GOE system. On ISU website there should be all communications chronologically (when you don't get a broken link...which...is not as rare as one would wish and expect) and usually every new communication mentions the number of the previous one that gets replaced, so that helps tracing back to what set of rules existed in a certain season.

After 2010 there were big changes like suppression of one stsq (replaced with chsq) and big change of BV of quads vs triples. The other big change was of course after 2018 with the new GOE system (and change in definition of UR jump), but "small" changes happen basically every season

re: IceDance

I wouldn't touch ID scoring with a teen foot pole :smiley-scared001:(also, because I still haven't felt the kind of burning desire to learn that Yuzu gave me re:singles, and I don't fancy studying another whole-ass handbook and dive deeper into steps just to open another salt mine whenever I look at scores. Singles are bad enough, no thanks):salty:

It's common knowledge that ID scoring is especially maddening, sicne it's heavily based on reputation:shrug:  The scoring became even more arbitrary after the +-5 GOE and after they introduced 3 different choreographic elelement without levels: choreo elelemnts without level kill any difference in actual skill/difficulty. It was supposedly to encourage individual expression and variety, but in reality judges score them however they like. Basically... like they score PCS  :P

In ID, there's little a team can do to "stand out" in terms of BV: GOE and PCS are what matters the most. Additionally, falls and other big, "disruptive" mistakes are the exception, so upsets are rare (which is why P/C losing Euros was  :eeking: ). 

RE: Pairs, actually, probably one of the events I usually enjoy the most and certainly the most spectacular (though yes, it is scary). Possibly the one discipline with less scoring mess (though it happens. Ironically, the famous 2002 fixing scandal was in pairs)

RA: Ladies

my genuine advice: RUN AWAY TILL YOU CAN!

Or at least, don't get too attached to any lady!

Or if you do get attached(hard to resist, so many wonderful skaters!), do NOT look at the scores (and never open the protocols) :13877886:  Because even if, by luck, you manage to get yourself attached to someone who isn't chronically and hopelessly underscored, you just know it's only matter of time before they are gonna be dropped like hot potato by their own fed&judges

54 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

you just know it's only matter of time before they are gonna be dropped like hot potato by their own fed&judges

Usually because they have the temerity to get older and lose the stick-like kiddie bodies that some feds favour. :deadinside:

31 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

what is this? Pure as Ice certificate? So all it takes is to just follow and then one gets merch?

(is it normal that ISU gives merch for a course? Shouldn't they just make this kind of course manadatory for every offcial, skater, coach etc etc)

RE: Universiade

so it's postponed. I guess that cancellation in a strong possibility, but puzzling that ISU would go ahead and say "cancelled" instead of "postponed" as per official news:drama:

I wonder though, with a comp scheduled for as late as January being "postponed"....will ISU still run GP? Of course Universiade is by far a bigger comp compared to a fs event, even more so a "modified GP", but it's kind of ironic we're all still here, waiting for an update. Not one word yet about the logistics for comps that will start in two months:dontknow: 

@Rinnarsev re: the multiple falls deductions, the rule was changed after 2014-2015 (in part I think also after Yuzuru's CoC14 FS), before that every fall just got -1, and the negative GOE of course (indeed, Yuzu's FS in CoC with 5 falls got a -5 deduction)

I think they have further tweaked the deductions at least one more time, maybe after olyimpic season when they introdced the +-5 GOE system. On ISU website there should be all communications chronologically (when you don't get a broken link...which...is not as rare as one would wish and expect) and usually every new communication mentions the number of the previous one that gets replaced, so that helps tracing back to what set of rules existed in a certain season.

After 2010 there were big changes like suppression of one stsq (replaced with chsq) and big change of BV of quads vs triples. The other big change was of course after 2018 with the new GOE system (and change in definition of UR jump), but "small" changes happen basically every season

re: IceDance

I wouldn't touch ID scoring with a teen foot pole :smiley-scared001:(also, because I still haven't felt the kind of burning desire to learn that Yuzu gave me re:singles, and I don't fancy studying another whole-ass handbook and dive deeper into steps just to open another salt mine whenever I look at scores. Singles are bad enough, no thanks):salty:

It's common knowledge that ID scoring is especially maddening, sicne it's heavily based on reputation:shrug:  The scoring became even more arbitrary after the +-5 GOE and after they introduced 3 different choreographic elelement without levels: choreo elelemnts without level kill any difference in actual skill/difficulty. It was supposedly to encourage individual expression and variety, but in reality judges score them however they like. Basically... like they score PCS  :P

In ID, there's little a team can do to "stand out" in terms of BV: GOE and PCS are what matters the most. Additionally, falls and other big, "disruptive" mistakes are the exception, so upsets are rare (which is why P/C losing Euros was  :eeking: ). 

RE: Pairs, actually, probably one of the events I usually enjoy the most and certainly the most spectacular (though yes, it is scary). Possibly the one discipline with less scoring mess (though it happens. Ironically, the famous 2002 fixing scandal was in pairs)

RA: Ladies

my genuine advice: RUN AWAY TILL YOU CAN! Or at least, don't get too attached to any lady! Or if you do (hard to resist, so many wonderful skaters!), do NOT look at the scores (and never open the protocols) :13877886: Even if, by luck, you manage to get yourself attached to someone who isn't chronically underscored, you just know it's only matter of time before they are gonna be dropped like hot potato by their own fed

Wow thank you so much for the introduction! I will definitely try to read up on the recent and past rules and hopefully understand more about FS. I knew they sometimes change the regulations because yuzu mentioned some bv changed and the impacts in some interviews. But I didn’t know that they keep having “small” adjustments each season. So much to learn and catch up! 

I’m only started watching ice dance because of shib sibs and I basically know next to nothing about how the elements are judged. Based on what you said and what I see in general, I guess I better just focus my energy into studying single’s rule for yuzu 😂😂😂 I mean I already got angry for unfair scoring for yuzu. I really don’t need to get myself into another hell.  without understanding how they score, I can still  enjoy shib sibs amazing performance. 

Maybe I’ll give pairs’s technical rules a go after the single rules. After all, pairs are so exciting!!! 

Yeah I think watching the ladies is not gonna work for me. Just from following some yuzu’s fan on insta and Twitter, I’ve already read so much of the Russian drama 😂😂😂 almost like a Korean drama show. I really don’t understand why FS in general is so political. Lol 😂 I thought this was supposed to be a artsy and fun sports. I’ll try my best not to get attached 🤦🏻‍♀️ But I do like watching Rika and thank gosh she’s Japanese and not in the mess (that I don’t know of ?? ). The Russian girls are all very talented and I’m just gonna try to ignore the competition side and enjoy the programs. 

I am first a yuzu fan and then became a figure skating fan (ish) so yuzu’s programs will always be what I watched the most XD 

thank you again for all the explanation and pointers 🥰🥰🥰  they’re really helpful! 

1 hour ago, Rinnarsev said:

without understanding how they score, I can still  enjoy shib sibs amazing performance. 

That's key to enjoying ice dance! The ice dancers do lovely things, score or no score. 

And on that note, let me share with you my favorite ice dance ever, in 3 different versions: 

I was lucky enough to see this program live 3 different times too (maybe four? ) and it was enthralling every time. 

Also, I adore the way Piper and Paul work together. He handles her like she's made of glass and it gives a beautiful delicate flavour to their performances. 

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's key to enjoying ice dance! The ice dancers do lovely things, score or no score. 

And on that note, let me share with you my favorite ice dance ever, in 3 different versions: 

I was lucky enough to see this program live 3 different times too (maybe four? ) and it was enthralling every time. 

Also, I adore the way Piper and Paul work together. He handles her like she's made of glass and it gives a beautiful delicate flavour to their performances. 

ah, Starry Night! I was so happy when they skated it in Turing gala, truly a big gift <3

Loved them in comp too, but that EX was truly the cherry on top (and I urged the people sitting next who didn't know them or the program to go and check the full version, it's truly unforgettable)

13 hours ago, Veveco said:

Talking of ice dance:

interesting concept

showing skaters' programs to starved fans + some behind the scenes while ISU mulls over what to do with real comps...why not? It's a smart idea (and they'll also raise some money, which particularly now isn't half bad).

Gadbois has a lot of teams for such an event and they are being more proactive than... ISU other people

in the meanwhile, dreaming of when Zuzu will forego his White Wall updates in favour of updates from White Floor(meaning: the ice rink):sigh:

10 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Wow 🤩 this program is so dreamy 🥰 thanks for the recommendation! Ice dance is so nice and smooth and the delicacy is truly amazing! 

For everyone interested in watching the Ice Academy of Montreal live show on September 11th. Jordan of On Ice Perspectives will be producing this event and offers a discount for tickets (50% off) on his Patreon until September 3rd.

Here is the link to his post, you'll be able to see it even if you're not a patron.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/i-am-live-ice-of-41088286