General Yuzuru Chat

13 hours ago, PapiandPooh422 said:

Well, he also expressed that he wants to visit some places like the castle in Kanazawa and the famous "Pooh Forest" in England so maybe it's not really a case of he doesn't want to go out but other factors making it difficult for him to go out such as time and security constraints. And he recommends some tourists attractions in Sendai every now and then and maybe he has already been there that's why he recommends it. So, yeah, maybe it's more of a choice of avoiding to go out and not that he doesn't really have an interest to visit places. And it's true that his team can pull some strings to make his visits in the places he mentions possible but he has the personality of not wanting to inconvenience others so maybe that's another factor. 

This. This is what I was getting at with my original comments. If he wants to go out and do these things, I hope he actually gets some time to do it. 

All of the comments implying that there's something wrong with expressing a wish for Yuzu to not be so busy he can't stop and smell the flowers,  and that he seems quite  happy to  keep his head down  and only skate, you are misunderstanding. In more than one interview, Yuzu has given the impression that he might like to do some ordinary things ( such as go see Kanazawa castle) but that he's simply too busy.

When I say things like I hope he can go to a Jays game, what I mean is that I hope the busy subsides enough for him to take some time for himself to do those other things he enjoys. That is all.

Speaking of ice shows...how is it decided who performs in what show (as in Fantasy vs The Ice vs  Stars on Ice, etc.)? Is it by invitation? Personal preference? Level of achievement?  I know some shows are specific (Ciontu was Mr Hanyu’s personal project, thus invitation) but the rest? 

Thank you for your insights! 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Anyone can go incognito in Toronto. It's not like most Torontonians expect to see celebs on the street and keep an eye out. Plus, your average Canadian's reaction to seeing a celebrity is closer to 'let's not bother them, pretend you don't notice' than to act all star-struck and ask for photos or autographs.

Yes definitely this - just about the only time that Toronto gets inundated with celebs is during TIFF and even though fans are very respectful in general. I've encountered different movie / TV stars in Toronto, Halifax, Calgary and etc. and have never approached anyone especially if they look like they are out in private enjoying the city. I know it's a cliched stereotype but we Canadians are really super polite and nice :)

3 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

@Cerunias and he's far too intelligent to use some dubious internet source when he has the resources of Waseda to draw upon.

Thanks for the link. I recall that documentary very well, having only watched it again a few days ago. Without watching it again since a few days ago to double check the exact quote and wording, I seem to recall there was a bit that said he looked up a lot of stuff (where exactly was unspecified) about his injury and treatment and recovery for his injury. I also recall that I winced at the time when I heard that while watching (and more recently rewatching), and also hoped that he wasn't relying on bad advice available over the Internet (in the same way that I commented on a few posts ago) - it is one of my bugbears that there is so much crap passing off as legit advice on the Internet when it comes to health and healthcare.

As a side point, believe me when I say that many well-educated people with access to appropriate resources sometimes still also inappropriately trust some dubious Internet source. I've lost track of the number of reasonably educated people who sit in my clinic and wanting some inappropriate treatment they had googled the day before coming...it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest problems of the Internet that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can post anything they like on the Internet and pass off as experts - amongst the worst is not the stuff that is outrageously inaccurate but rather, it is the stuff that is inaccurate or false (or fake) but is close enough to the truth to survive a first-pass examination by someone who doesn't have expertise in that particular area.

Cognitive psychologists have well-demonstrated that we often overestimate our own ability to determine what is fake and what is not, particularly if what is fake only deviates from the truth slightly albeit significantly. Just look at American politics as an excellent example of that, and the whole Obama birther conspiracy as one example, the whole (5 million) illegal voters conspiracy as another example. In the latter case, for example, a significant proportion of Republican-identifying voting-aged people believe it true that there were 5 million illegal voters voting for Clinton despite there being absolutely no evidence of there being that scale of illegal voting at the last US Presidential election (yes, there were a few illegal votes and no system is perfect, but nowhere near even 1% of 5 million!).

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

Anyone posted this yet?

Translation of the interview post-show

Crossposting from the TV broadcast FaOI thread.

Interviewer: Also, about the jumps… When you land them the audience gets excited. Do you feel that you have gotten comfortable with your jumps doing shows and rehearsals?

Hanyu: I can say my condition is getting better… Um… how should I say? Until recently, it has been like, I fight really hard and manage to land a jump. But because of the improvement in physical condition, now I need to control my jumps more, otherwise, I will miss it because of over-rotation or something. So, I’m thinking that I should analyze my jumps more closely and improve their quality. But in that sense, my jumps are recovering themselves in each aspect such as sharpness, how I lift up in the air, how I control the rotation axis, etc., and I think I’m improving by experiencing many things in these shows. So I’m doing these show hoping to be stronger than how I was before Olympics, before the injury.

I debated whether to place this post on the Coaching Changes thread or this but decided since this is principally about Yuzu it belongs to here.

First - the coaching changes and how they might affect Yuzu.  The one thing that strikes me here is that this year's situation at TCC is greatly different from that prevailing when Yuzu came to TCC.  At that time both he and Javi were still skaters working to enter the ranks of the elite.  Moreover, Javi had been with Brian only a short time before Yuzu came on and I think Brian's approach to Javi would necessarily have been much more tentative than his with Yuzu this year.  He's had years to get to know Yuzu and I think he would not even have entertained the thought of acquiring these new athletes had he felt it could have substantially affected Yuzu's ability to train and compete.  That he moved forward in the way he seems to have done reflects more than anything else his sense of who and what Yuzu is and his estimation of the qualities Yuzu has to take these developments in stride.  I don't think back in 2012 he felt he knew Javi well enough to proceed without consulting him.

Second - the new arrivals.  There is a significant difference with those arriving this summer, particularly Zhenya and Boyang.  Unlike Yuzu and Javi, Zhenya and Boyang both are well-established amongst the elites in figure-skating today.  They aren't looking to arrive.  They're already there and their trophy collections attest to that.  That wasn't the case with Yuzu and Javi back when.  On top of that with the more pertinent situation with Boyang Brian was able to proceed being aware of the budding friendship between Boyang and Yuzu.  They aren't strangers.  They've competed against each other numerous times and that friendship hasn't encountered anything in competition to retard its development. 

As far as specifics involving Boyang and Yuzu training at times in each other's presence, I think Brian will take into account the feelings of those two when making such a decision.  He's dealing with two different skaters here, one who can be said to have achieved his full maturity and the other working toward that.  We know that Yuzu has become reasonably self-sufficient as a skater, enough so that I think now he is the one basically deciding the directions his training will take.  Brian, it appears to me, is now working more or less as one who gives advice and feedback rather than directing Yuzu's forward development.  With Boyang I think the situation is substantially different since he was sent to TCC to train under conditions that are radically different than those he'd had in China.  In other posts I've discussed in some detail my view on the politics of all this.  Here I'll simply say that Boyang is in TCC to acquire greater depth as a skater and greater polish.  He's still somewhat of an uncut gem.  He was sent by those in charge to TCC because they (and also I) think he would feel more comfortable there (because of his developing relationship with Yuzu) than, for instance, if he was sent to Raf.

As for Zhenya and also Jason, Yuzu will deal easily with their presence since neither of them is a direct competitor with him (unlike Boyang), Zhenya for obvious reasons and Jason because I'm sure that neither he nor Yuzu sees Jason as being a threat to Yuzu's competitive domination.  I think Jason is there because that was his decision and I think he is there not simply to learn to jump better (though numerous quads I am sure are not his objective), but rather I think whereas in the past he's been primarily a PCS skater, he wants to ramp up his TES numbers.  Brian's a master when guiding his athletes toward TES/PCS balance.

I am happy that Yuzu might be acquiring a new training-mate to replace Javi and I have hopes this relationship will not be confined to the rink, realizing that Yuzu is by nature a loner.  [Admin edit: No politics.]

In the long run I'm glad Yuzu is now being faced with these new presences, partly because with Javi departed Yuzu might have begun to think he was the only show in town.  Now he knows he's just one of several.  Just as Javi's presence in the past challenged him, these new arrivals will also challenge him and we all know that the more Yuzu is challenged the better he becomes.

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Crossposting from the TV broadcast FaOI thread.

I really like the part about breaking out of his shell:

Hanyu: I've learned how much versatility I have in performance, what movements I like, what kind of movements enable me to skate with my heart. I still have room for improvement in my jumps and landing of the jumps. I'm trying things with my spins too. So I want to break out my shell more than I did going through the Olympics, though I might have to do it by breaking thin shells one by one, and become a new me. As you know, the song I skated to this time was a song about "wings". I skated to it with a hope to become the new me who can spread its wings to the full.

ETA Tumblr link for the translation, forgot it wouldn't show from quoting like I did:

https://notebookfilledwithscrabbles.tumblr.com/post/174536816642/362018-faoi-kanazawa-interview-with-yuzuru-hanyu

On 6/2/2018 at 5:16 PM, Fay said:

I’ve lived in Moscow for over 18 years. There are parts I’ve never been to...

Born and raised in Washington, DC.  I can't even tell you if I've been inside The Capitol, one of the city's most recognizable landmarks :surprised:.  I've been in places near it since my mom used to work close by, but that's about all I can recall. If I went I was a really little girl and didn't appreciate it like I would now.  Only been to the top of the National Monument, our other most recognizable landmark, as a baby so I don't even remember it.  The only reason I see The White House at all is because I work close by and might decide to eat lunch in that park on occasion.  I've toured it a couple of times thanks to family connections, but otherwise I've probably "toured" more of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc. because that was my purpose there.  I totally get living somewhere but not really seeing everything about it. 

10 hours ago, LucyH said:

Yes definitely this - just about the only time that Toronto gets inundated with celebs is during TIFF and even though fans are very respectful in general. I've encountered different movie / TV stars in Toronto, Halifax, Calgary and etc. and have never approached anyone especially if they look like they are out in private enjoying the city. I know it's a cliched stereotype but we Canadians are really super polite and nice :)

That's interesting considering how much stuff is filmed in Canada. I've received press passes for conventions so I get to meet a lot of celebs, even the Game of Thrones cast a couple years back.  They really are just people when you get used to seeing them around all the time and interacting with them.  Reminds me of a volunteer Yuzu fan in Helsinki who was star struck when she first saw him, but after seeing him around all week it sank in that he really is just a person.  An extraordinary person, yes, but human nonetheless.  Though I'm personally convinced he's part wizard :P:P:P.

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

Born and raised in Washington, DC.  I can't even tell you if I've been inside The Capitol, one of the city's most recognizable landmarks :surprised:.  I've been in places near it since my mom used to work close by, but that's about all I can recall. If I went I was a really little girl and didn't appreciate it like I would now.  Only been to the top of the National Monument, our other most recognizable landmark, as a baby so I don't even remember it.  The only reason I see the White House at all is because I work close by and might decided to eat lunch in that park on occasion.  I've toured it a couple of times thanks to family connections, but otherwise I've probably "toured" more of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc. because that was my purpose there.  I totally get living somewhere but not really seeing everything about it. 

That's interesting considering how much stuff is filmed in Canada. I've received press passes for conventions so I get to meet a lot of celebs, even the Game of Thrones cast a couple years back.  They really are just people when you get used to seeing them around all the time and interacting with them.  Reminds me of a volunteer Yuzu fan in Helsinki who was star struck when she first saw him, but after seeing him around all week it sank in that he really is just a person.  An extraordinary person, yes, but human nonetheless.  

Very well said, and greetings from another greater Washington DC area local! I love walking around the capital area though, especially when it’s not so tourist crowded.

13 minutes ago, icecreamy said:

Very well said, and greetings from another greater Washington DC area local! I love walking around the capital area though, especially when it’s not so tourist crowded.

Greetings!  Yeah, that part of DC is really beautiful and clean.  When it's not a dangerously hot sauna outside it's a great place for runners.

29 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

That's interesting considering how much stuff is filmed in Canada. I've received press passes for conventions so I get to meet a lot of celebs, even the Game of Thrones cast a couple years back.  They really are just people when you get used to seeing them around all the time and interacting with them.  Reminds me of a volunteer Yuzu fan in Helsinki who was star struck when she first saw him, but after seeing him around all week it sank in that he really is just a person.  An extraordinary person, yes, but human nonetheless.  Though I'm personally convinced he's part wizard :P:P:P.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of celebs on any given day but TIFF is the only time where I've seen like all the A listers all in one place.. In fact, Suits filmed there so the new Duchess of Suffolk (Meghan Markle) lived in Toronto for some years when she was on show and was able to blend into the masses... I've run into Tom Selleck, Tons of TV shows also film in Vancouver so you'll lots of TV stars out and about too :)

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

I debated whether to place this post on the Coaching Changes thread or this but decided since this is principally about Yuzu it belongs to here.

First - the coaching changes and how they might affect Yuzu.  The one thing that strikes me here is that this year's situation at TCC is greatly different from that prevailing when Yuzu came to TCC.  At that time both he and Javi were still skaters working to enter the ranks of the elite.  Moreover, Javi had been with Brian only a short time before Yuzu came on and I think Brian's approach to Javi would necessarily have been much more tentative than his with Yuzu this year.  He's had years to get to know Yuzu and I think he would not even have entertained the thought of acquiring these new athletes had he felt it could have substantially affected Yuzu's ability to train and compete.  That he moved forward in the way he seems to have done reflects more than anything else his sense of who and what Yuzu is and his estimation of the qualities Yuzu has to take these developments in stride.  I don't think back in 2012 he felt he knew Javi well enough to proceed without consulting him.

Second - the new arrivals.  There is a significant difference with those arriving this summer, particularly Zhenya and Boyang.  Unlike Yuzu and Javi, Zhenya and Boyang both are well-established amongst the elites in figure-skating today.  They aren't looking to arrive.  They're already there and their trophy collections attest to that.  That wasn't the case with Yuzu and Javi back when.  On top of that with the more pertinent situation with Boyang Brian was able to proceed being aware of the budding friendship between Boyang and Yuzu.  They aren't strangers.  They've competed against each other numerous times and that friendship hasn't encountered anything in competition to retard its development. 

As far as specifics involving Boyang and Yuzu training at times in each other's presence, I think Brian will take into account the feelings of those two when making such a decision.  He's dealing with two different skaters here, one who can be said to have achieved his full maturity and the other working toward that.  We know that Yuzu has become reasonably self-sufficient as a skater, enough so that I think now he is the one basically deciding the directions his training will take.  Brian, it appears to me, is now working more or less as one who gives advice and feedback rather than directing Yuzu's forward development.  With Boyang I think the situation is substantially different since he was sent to TCC to train under conditions that are radically different than those he'd had in China.  In other posts I've discussed in some detail my view on the politics of all this.  Here I'll simply say that Boyang is in TCC to acquire greater depth as a skater and greater polish.  He's still somewhat of an uncut gem.  He was sent by those in charge to TCC because they (and also I) think he would feel more comfortable there (because of his developing relationship with Yuzu) than, for instance, if he was sent to Raf.

As for Zhenya and also Jason, Yuzu will deal easily with their presence since neither of them is a direct competitor with him (unlike Boyang), Zhenya for obvious reasons and Jason because I'm sure that neither he nor Yuzu sees Jason as being a threat to Yuzu's competitive domination.  I think Jason is there because that was his decision and I think he is there not simply to learn to jump better (though numerous quads I am sure are not his objective), but rather I think whereas in the past he's been primarily a PCS skater, he wants to ramp up his TES numbers.  Brian's a master when guiding his athletes toward TES/PCS balance.

I am happy that Yuzu might be acquiring a new training-mate to replace Javi and I have hopes this relationship will not be confined to the rink, realizing that Yuzu is by nature a loner.  [Admin edit: No politics.]

In the long run I'm glad Yuzu is now being faced with these new presences, partly because with Javi departed Yuzu might have begun to think he was the only show in town.  Now he knows he's just one of several.  Just as Javi's presence in the past challenged him, these new arrivals will also challenge him and we all know that the more Yuzu is challenged the better he becomes.

In the season before Yuzu moved to TCC, he won a GP, got 4th in his first GPF as a 16 yr old (maybe just turned 17, can't find the date of '11 GPF), bronze at his first sr national championship and bronze at the 2012 World Championships. He was still very young and had a lot of growing to do but I think he had already entered the ranks of the elite so to speak.