[Removed]Fantasy on Ice in KOBE Pamphlet: Yuzuru Hanyu Special Interview

gladi

25 minutes ago, gladi said:

The 3A from Ina Bauer during the Finale was because Jeff said to me, “Do an Ina Bauer” and then, “You can transition directly into a 3A, right?” 

For Choo Choo Train too, there were no instructions apart from “Do a trick.” It was such an opportunity for the artists to be present and performing live––and just for 3 days too––so I thought I should try to reference EXILE’s choreography.

LOL at Jeff. If this was any other skater they wouldn't be able to do that. Hahaha.. I'm reminded of Kurt Browning saying that choreographing Yuzu is like playing a video game... you say it and then he'll do it.

Also, zuzu the nerd researching the choreography for the opening song.

Thank you for the translation! :pbow:

Thank you @gladi for your excellent translations, as always!!! :smiley-love017:

It was very interesting to read Yuzu's insight about off season, how he considers shows a form of traning too and what determined him to choose Chopin again, despite recycling and other considerations! 

And it's amazing to read his thoughts about the shows generally, and the fact that he realize that ppl comes from long distances just to see him and how he's trying to give great perfomances all the time to please everybody. 

It was a very pleasant reading!! :10815002:

I like that he gave a lot of thought to repeating Chopin for a third season, and liked reading his reasoning for it. I always love how his interviews show how he has thought everything through so much. 

But it's exactly because of the repetition of Chopin that I am sort of dreading the idea that he might repeat Seimei as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Seimei, and if he wasn't already doing Chopin, I'd be one of the first waving a flag for 'bringing Seimei back for the Olympics, yes!'. But since he already has chosen Chopin as his SP, I am not particularly in love with the idea of him repeating a second program as well. There's a narrative that could form around 'playing it too safe' that I'd like him to avoid. Not to mention that then he'd put even more pressure on himself to be flawless with two programs he's been flawless with before (well, step sequence levels notwithstanding :laughing:). What happens to his motivation if he fails to go clean? He's already pissed at himself in the FaOI shows when he fails his jumps, despite the bad rink and ice conditions in those...

However, given that that tumblr account that seems to be a TCC member has apparently stated that some people will like and others will be disappointed with Yuzu's FS choice, I'm more and more convinced it might be Seimei (that or a popular warhorse some people will probably facepalm at).

7 minutes ago, xeyra said:

However, given that that tumblr account that seems to be a TCC member has apparently stated that some people will like and others will be disappointed with Yuzu's FS choice, I'm more and more convinced it might be Seimei (that or a popular warhorse some people will probably facepalm at).

Well, we should delete the idea of the FS being completely new then, if she explicitely said this. 

Why would we be disappointed of a new program? No one would. Disappointment can only come from an old theme used again. 

Oh well... I'm happy either way because I know Yuzuru will give me new emotions. 

(I'd like new music cuts with old themes, tho, if it's possible) 

Since day 1 in Makuhari we have shared our thoughts on the program and now we can read Yuzu’s own words. Thank you, Gladi, for giving us this great opportunity! I appreciate your work so much :thankyou:

5 hours ago, gladi said:

––––    After watching the act, I think I sensed more strength from your performance compared to the old Ballade.

YH      My impression after attempting the program with 4Lo is that, the sense of power in the current layout of Ballade is very much derived from the 4T・3T added before the second half step sequence. Whereas for the layout of two quads in the first half since the NHK Trophy, I liked the music during the steps and spins very much and a lot can be expressed there. The current program isn’t quite there yet in comparison, but the 3A gives off an airy “fuwa“ vibe and melts into the music, and the 4T combo has also become a jump that better matches the musical notes. In this sense, I really feel that the range of my expression has broadened. There are yet a lot to improve on the spins; I’m still considering new choreographic hand movements and I’ll be trying various things. As for the second half jump, and the flow of the part in the beginning with spread eagle going into the Loop, transitioning into an Ina Bauer, and so forth––those too I’m looking to polish and refine from hereon.

I totally agree with him about the 3A and I love the combo perfectly matching the music. As regards the spins, watching Kobe broadcast I was thinking that they are never exactly the same. The arms and hands movements vary, especially in the flying camel spin (but I think they are always beautiful :10636614:).

5 hours ago, gladi said:

––––    The act itself of performing with such feelings could be a good experience towards preparation for competitions.

YH      It really was a great experience for me. The nervousness, the many negative conditions such as rinks that are clearly not for competition and so forth––I think all these are important experiences. But what we must impress upon ourselves, is that “this is not practice!” (laughs) Even in Makuhari, there were those who say “I came from Miyagi!” “I came from Iwate”––people who decided they wanted to come and watch even though they are from faraway––and those who say they wanted to watch however many times. There were even people in the audience who were sat so far that we couldn't see their faces and yet, were waving banners for us. For these people, even if just a little, I’d like to be able to communicate my feelings and my desire “to connect”––something that has come to be very important to me since last year. To send my emotions and the feelings that guide me to every nook and corner of the arena––I hope to embark on this run of Fantasy on Ice with this sentiment in mind.

Yuzu is so sweet. He really deserves all the support we can give him and more :BeatingHeart: 

Thank you for your translation @gladi. His interview are great as always and I love the way he express his thought. I see that his new Chopin was skated with more emotion and if he think he can improve it even more, I trust and support his decision. Go, go Ballade 3.0 :smiley-happy105:

As for the FS, I read about that tumblr's post and tbh I don't think much about it. I prefer to wait until his OP than predicting base on unrelieable source. Remember last week when he visited Seimei shrine and they said they would put his ema only a week later,  how many people are so sure about Seimei 2.0 and he would skate his Fs at FAOI ? But then, nothing happened. It might be Seimei 2.0 in the end, but I will think about its pros/cons when I see it :laughing:

7 minutes ago, Katt said:

Thank you for your translation @gladi. His interview are great as always and I love the way he express his thought. I see that his new Chopin was skate with more emotion and if he think he can improve it even more, I trust and support his decision. Go, go Ballade 3.0 :smiley-happy105:

As for the FS, I read about that tumblr's post and tbh I don't think much about it. I prefer to wait until his OP than predicting base on unrelieable source. Remember last week when he visited Seimei shrine and they said they would put his ema only a week later,  how many people are so sure about Seimei 2.0 and he would skate his Fs at FAOI ? But then, nothing happened. It might be Seimei 2.0 in the end, but I will think about its pros/cons when I see it :laughing:

My thoughts exactly, @Katt! If it is Seimei 2.0, he has thought through the pros and cons. If it isn't, same. We might not end up agreeing with his choices, but eh. It's early and I'd wait until media day or SCAC to really decide if I like the programs or not. Chopin in Kobe, even if not clean, is so much improved over Chopin in Makuhari! What he said about an airy 3A, I totally see that :) In fact, surrounding the 3A and immediately after is my favorite part in the program at the moment. After the counter exit, he straightened his free leg and it looks like he is just floating. And then long stretches of one-ft skating that adds to that feeling. The first two spins too––second one especially––how gorgeous now. I think it'll be even better in Niigata *-*

I was really apprehensive when I first learnt Yuzu was going back to Chopin, but now after seeing the renovated Chopin... I don't care, he can skate Chopin until the end of his life, it's just gorgeous in his interpretation. And I like it that he took Chopin as a challenge rather than an easy option, all in all...

7 hours ago, gladi said:

Jeff said to me, “Do an Ina Bauer” and then, “You can transition directly into a 3A, right?”

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 hours ago, gladi said:

Honestly, it’s not that I didn’t have the sense of “what’s up with doing the same program for a third season!”

Lol i think someone is stalking the fans...

7 hours ago, gladi said:

But I’ve also thought a lot and done various calculations about the short program layout. For example, how much more is it if I did the 4S+3T in the second half, how many variations are there if I stabilize the 4Lo and the 4S, and so forth. After thorough consideration, I came to the conclusion that the 4T combo would be the best choice.

This is the reason why i don't feel worried about Chopin anymore. I knew he had done this but it is still reassuring to read him from Yuzu himself.

Thank you so much for this :D! It's very interesting :7938863:

29 minutes ago, gladi said:

My thoughts exactly, @Katt! If it is Seimei 2.0, he has thought through the pros and cons. If it isn't, same. We might not end up agreeing with his choices, but eh. It's early and I'd wait until media day or SCAC to really decide if I like the programs or not. Chopin in Kobe, even if not clean, is so much improved over Chopin in Makuhari! What he said about an airy 3A, I totally see that :) In fact, surrounding the 3A and immediately after is my favorite part in the program at the moment. After the counter exit, he straightened his free leg and it looks like he is just floating. And then long stretches of one-ft skating that adds to that feeling. The first two spins too––second one especially––how gorgeous now. I think it'll be even better in Niigata *-*

His skating skill is gorgeous :smiley-love017: I think I heard Kenji comment about his footwork and twizzle after his performance in Kobe broadcast. I'm still not sold by the first spin timing :laughing: but he said this is show's version and not final form so I'm sure they would add many details/changes in summer. I love the way he throw himself into the step sequence, so much freedom and emotion :smiley-love017:. I'm so looking forward to see this program in competition, in large ice rink where his speed is not limited like an ice show's rink :smiley-happy105:

Thank you so much for this translation. For the first time, I begin to understand how he thinks at this moment, in 2017, about skating and expressing himself. (I hope:smile:).

This is to me an inspirational text, and it makes me quite sure he will not do a version of Seimei this season.

Seimei is a character, a very focused kind of music, which in my view does not lend itself to this kind of fluidity he has with Ballade to aspire to new things...I can not express this clearly in english, I am sorry to ramble, but I think we will see a fs with music that is not Seimei.

I wonder what it will be... 

A lot of thinking got into this decision to do Ballade, I begin to feel  the incredible thought and work it takes for him to decide on music..

My deepest respect - if he did not have it already:clap:

These translations are always so precious!:10636614:

From Yuzu's words about people attending to shows, I can understand his kuyashii when he fails to give the performances he wants, though I wish he knew that even pops or falls don't change that what people cherish the most is just watching him skate and pour his emotions in what he does (but this is the curse of a perfectionist:drama:)

9 hours ago, gladi said:

I wavered quite a bit in choosing Ballade. Honestly, it’s not that I didn’t have the sense of “what’s up with doing the same program for a third season!” and it’s not that I’d never considered carrying Let’s Go Crazy over from the last season. Nevertheless, I’ve always had the desire to skate to Ballade No.1 once again… Besides, the free skate from last season did not have clear, set emotions as a theme. Rather, the concept was to throw myself naturally "into the flow of my own thoughts and feelings.” And then, “this was what I’ve been wanting to accomplish!”––because I was able to give such a performance at the World Championships, I thought, “With this, I can make an even better Ballade No.1." I think many different interpretations of Ballade No. 1 are possible. There are also my own ways of putting the program together and my own style of expression, possible only because of this piece. I feel that things that have thus far been in the fog are now solidifying, coming together, and I think that I want to do a Ballade that is possible only now, built upon the past three years.

As we already thought, Yuzuru made his SP choice with his eyes wide open.

In the interview he makes a lot of interesting points, such us that he has learned a lot in the past year and he know can express different things. His growth and feelings are already apparent in his Chopin program in FaoI, despite small rinks, melting ice, bad lightnings and such. The one skating to Chopin 3.0 is a different Yuzuru Hanyu from the one who skated Chopin 2.0 to perfection.

When I think that people never stop going to live concerts and gladly listen to the same artists perform to their songs from years or even decades ago, it looks indeed strange that in the world of figure skating there can be such a bad reaction to a "mere" 3rd peat... I wasn't overly entusiast at first, but my perspective was that of a greedy fan who wants to have as many programs as possible from Yuzu, just like I look forward to new songs from my favourite singers. Maybe it doesn't help that skating careers are so short.:smiley-sad016:

When I started surfing youtube to track back Yuzu's programs in january, somehow his LGC, H&L and Notte Stellata didn't popped out at first, and for a while I didn't even knew there were new programs after Chopin and Seimei :facepalm::eeking:

Yet when I found out they did exist, I was truly shocked that once again he had got so much better in the way he used his whole body! One day I thought I couldn't ever see anything better than his his 2015-2016 programs, and the next one I was left speechless and amazed! And I kinda wondered how Chopin and Seimei would look like skated by this new astonishing Yuzuru. (sorry for the jinx :laughing: it was unintentional)

Now I'm looking forward to see what Yuzuru can do.

As for the LP, in a way I'd actually prefer Seimei 2.0 to some other choices...

More than the judges being annoyed by the repeat (how many of them have judged Seimei? How many times? They are not the same in every single competition, maybe they would be even happy to see it again!) I worry about the reaction from other FS fans and commentators. It's not that they may feel a bit bored (Yuzuru's last FP has been completely different, so it wouldn't be that bad) but rather that, just as someone already pointed out, Yuzuru would lend himself to bad narrative, and bad narrative and bad perception could influence the judges too.

Not everyone knows or cares about Yuzuru's thoughts and repeating two programs -those two programs - would turn him in a way too easy target.

Even worse, by going against another one of his iconic programs he would add another burden on himself. I know he could overcome it, but in Olympics he already has to face a lot of pressure from everywhere, himself included! Of course Yuzuru always challenges himself, but I fear it would be worse were he to fail his own insane expectations to a Seimei 2.0 rather than any other program.:14066882:

However, whatever his choice, I'll cheer for him. Even if by now I've become familiar with a lot of skaters from different disciplines, none has truly enthralled me the way Yuzuru does. It's as if he gave me what I didn't even know I was looking for in figure skating. His "style" made me land on his planet. His skating and his personality are what keeps me here.

Thank you @gladi   because it's thanks to your translations, too, that I'm able to get a glimpse of Yuzu's wonderful world.:10815002::thankyou: