15 hours ago, Geo1 said:

This is the only one that I know of that has been English subtitled:

Watching this again reminded me that Yuzu donated all of his Olympic prize money to the City of Sendai and Miyagi Prefecture.

Wow! Details like this just makes me respect him even more!

And also hope that he wins gold again, because - just look at everyone's faces. This was his day, but he brought so much joy to everyone there. These videos had me grinning and almost tearing up because of everyone's reactions. 

I also am blocked from watching the last video so thanks to kaerb for the summary. 

6 hours ago, kaerb said:

Ahh the video is geo-blocked in my country, do you know where I can find it elsewhere? :sorrow:

I ask mostly because if it hasn't been Eng subbed, I'm happy to do a rough summary/translation for those who don't speak Japanese and also as an excuse to practice my own hahaha (but if it has, I won't bother since officially fansubbed versions probably have better translations). But anyway, more fun points from the 1st video (feel free to correct me if I got it wrong)!

• 1:36 Yuzu's cute English! And the newscaster says they're his juniors from his international school but I assume the girl who talked to him knows him because she says his English is better
  • 2:08 Yuzu recognises Romeo and Juliet song and says 'Romijuli??' (which is how the Japanese abbreviate it apparently)
  • The whole time he's like 'wow, there's so many people' and then 'oh no, my hands are tired'
  • He struck a pose for the fans 14 times in 30min
  • 3:01: Little fanboy is called Yuzuki and he's so adorable ( : 3:48 - 'we told him to look over here and he waved his hands like this!')
  • The lady who's banshee-screaming Yuzu's name in the crowd over Yuzuki always makes me laugh and cringe a little
  • 5:09: Please say something to the junior skaters who are aiming for the future
    • ((I attempted to summarise YUZU'S BLOODY LONG COMPLICATED THOUGHT CHAIN which meandered everywhere yuzu whyyyy))
      • Essentially, I think he says that skating is a special type of performance. Even if you do your part and put in effort, it will not always be enough to guarantee a good result but he hopes the junior skaters will not hesitate to put effort in. He says that even if you give your all in order to practice and don't do well - there are changes to the body and there are times when it's quite difficult to do well - the effort itself (or the determination) will pay off in later life. Of course results are important but the act of putting in effort as a human and as an athlete, through their practicing, they can become an excellent person themselves and in society
  • 6:06: 'He could make you feel familiar with him in such a short period of time, he really became 'our Yuzuru'
  • 6:24: 'He was so cool when he was skating but when he did this pose, he became so cute!'

It's too bad that it's geo-blocked where you live. I don't know where else you can find this subtitled video.

The girl that spoke to Yuzu is Marika Steward, the daughter of James Steward, the headmaster of the Tohoku International School. They were both in the Miyagi Figure Skating Club at one time. Yuzuru was not a student at the Tohoku International School. He attended Tohoku High School. There was even a rumour once that Marika was the object of Yuzu's affection. Unfounded, of course.

20 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

OMG! So cute! Bby Yuzu! He was amazing since then!! Those spirals and spins!! :heart:

He already had such a beautiful Axel jump :tumblr_inline_mg16htbP2l1qdlkyg:

And spirals should be compulsory for men too :P 

34 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

OMG! So cute! Bby Yuzu! He was amazing since then!! Those spirals and spins!! :heart:

omg is this the fabled 'most memorable' competition where he got his first 5+?? (I translated it here http://kaerb.tumblr.com/post/162004761794/yuzuru-on-kenjis-room-episode-2-translation#notes and the facts seem to fit apart from the point being 5.1 not 5.2).

Its fascinating to watch for lingering similarities - Yuzu skated very deliberately and dramatically even back then and the way he holds out his arms and looks back when doing crossovers is still the same~

(I'm lowkey dying at the little studio ghibli floof his mushroom hair does at the end)

4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Awwwwwwwww!!!!

The cutest part is how you can totally recognize his style already even then! Some of his positions and his movements are things you go, 'Yep, Yuzuru Hanyu style' about it. Such a sweet little baby :heart: