2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

25 minutes ago, liv said:

Clearly minds are going crazy over covid19... and I don't mean the things people are doing in quarantine/isolation etc... when a world leader suggests somehow injecting disinfectants like Lysol *into* the human body, it's more than a full moon causing mischief.

I LOVED that, as well as his suggestion we somehow let light into the body. Sheer genius! 

4 hours ago, liv said:

Clearly minds are going crazy over covid19... and I don't mean the things people are doing in quarantine/isolation etc... when a world leader suggests somehow injecting disinfectants like Lysol *into* the human body, it's more than a full moon causing mischief.

I mean there are many forms of crazy during this time, but this one is so on another level, it simply takes the cake :eeking:

13 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

these kind of generosity always puts me on the verge of tears.....like watching chinese doctors landing in Milan few weeks ago,ready to help!

5 hours ago, liv said:

and of course here is the other side of the medal....:banginghead:

On 4/24/2020 at 9:33 AM, liv said:

I know, right? That particular moment of bizarreness reminded me of this:

Anyway.

Good news, and then some complex  science news that may or may not be bad:

The good news is, my hospital thinks it's reached a steady state in terms of the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and new infections we're seeing. That's right, they suspect we've flattened the curve in my region (with the painful exception of the outbreaks in long term care homes, which is really just a tragedy). But we still don't know exactly when we'll be on the down side of the curve, so the current state of affairs (only essential people going in to work, strict  no-visitor policy, social distancing, PPE, all non-urgent care cancelled) will continue for the foreseeable future. So, that's something.

And then there's this somewhat complex bit of science, which is basically saying that we still don't know how immunity is going to be achieved, but that it won't be as straightforward as we think:

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

and that's kind of depressing.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:48 AM, liv said:

Lol. He IS a genius, just ask him...and a stable one at that.  If we didn't know before, we know now!!

He's stable like a Weeble Wobble...you can push him all you want, he weebles and he wobbles,  but he won't fall down. Like this:

https://www.amazon.in/Original-Bozo-3-D-Bop-Bag/dp/B00067TAWG

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I know, right? That particular moment of bizarreness reminded me of this:

Anyway.

Good news, and then some complex  science news that may or may not be bad:

The good news is, my hospital thinks it's reached a steady state in terms of the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and new infections we're seeing. That's right, they suspect we've flattened the curve in my region (with the painful exception of the outbreaks in long term care homes, which is really just a tragedy). But we still don't know exactly when we'll be on the down side of the curve, so the current state of affairs (only essential people going in to work, strict  no-visitor policy, social distancing, PPE, all non-urgent care cancelled) will continue for the foreseeable future. So, that's something.

And then there's this somewhat complex bit of science, which is basically saying that we still don't know how immunity is going to be achieved, but that it won't be as straightforward as we think:

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

and that's kind of depressing.

Sad news in a way, but rather expected isn't it?

As far as I know, there have been a few surveys on the general population in severely hit areas (one in Germany with 1000 people, 15% had antibodies; one in Santa Clara County, California with 3.330 people, and another in L.A. County with 863 people, both by Stanford University, USC and L.A.H.D., found antibodies in 2 to 5% of the population; and one by N.I.H. in Maryland (one of the later to overcome the epidemic) should be released soon).

It seems most people contaminated get rid of it before making antibodies. This means they have never been contagious, in a sense. And if they remain in good (immunitary) health, they are likely to do the same next time they meet the virus. The problem being "only" if they meet it when weaker.

You are a medic, I am not, I have heard the best known, extremely contagious disease which doesn't spread much because of its being killed early by T-cells is tuberculosis, is it true?

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

have heard the best known, extremely contagious disease which doesn't spread much because of its being killed early by T-cells is tuberculosis, is it true?

I'm not an epidemiologist so I don't know off the top of my head. Tuberculosis would be up there, but I don't know it it's #1. 

It's not confirmed yet, but one local Toronto news outlet is hinting that the CNE, the Canadian National Exhibition, a large end-of-summer fair in Toronto, will likely be canceled.  The CNE runs from August to Labour Day, which means it would end around a couple weeks before ACI is scheduled in nearby Oakville.  So if the CNE does get cancelled I wonder if it's a bit much to expect ACI will take place, especially in September.  Obviously ACI is shorter and has far fewer participants, but who wants 1000+ fans from around the world shut up in a small arena for 3-4 days?  The lack of screening in Canadian airports and border crossings before they closed does not inspire confidence.  I suppose they might consider holding it without fans, but you would still run into concerns about whether our border would re-open by then, especially to the US.  If the border is opened for at least some you will probably have the requirement for foreign visitors to self-isolate for 2 weeks.  Sadly, despite having family I want to see in the US, I am 100% for keeping the border shut for a long time.  We seem to have managed to flatten the curve in much of Canada without overwhelming our medical system so far. Letting in visitors could lead to new outbreaks.  I mention Americans in particular because the pressure to open to our primary trading partner might become immense over time.  At least right now most Canadians are side-eyeing the US government (and certain US states) and are for the border closure.  Trump mentioning opening early to Canada lead to many NOPE!! comments.

Anyway, Ontario has extended provincial park closures another month and more social distancing signs have been put up in Toronto's city parks.  School in Ontario is closed until at least the end of May.  The state of emergency continues at least until after Victoria Day (mid-May).  There's been a growth in hospitalization numbers in the province this last week (cases seem to have plateaued and ICU numbers seem stable too), and on Friday the cause of this was not yet known (possibly institutional breakouts?).  Let's just say that Ontario has been behind on protecting people in long-term-care/retirement homes and even more so in shelters and prisons.  I know Toronto's homeless advocates are livid about the lack of social distancing at shelters and isolations spaces.  PPE also remains a huge problem in the province, and testing is only slowly getting better, but still not at a level needed to really get a sharp and specific picture of the outbreak.  We are also in dire need of contact tracers if we are to follow the ideal regime of testing/tracing/isolating.  Because of all this there was no date yet for the beginning of re-opening the province, just a rough framework of steps. 

Québec, although it has had significantly more cases and deaths than Ontario, is opening up already, thanks to the premier believing that herd immunity can be achieved safely without a vaccine.  Makes me doubly glad having Worlds in Montreal is officially a no go.  I hope Ontario doesn't permit people from outside the province in for casual travel, but honestly I doubt it's feasible for provinces to watch their borders.  Probably more doable to refuse to open hotels/inns and cancel events that historically attract outsiders.  I'd say the same regarding cottage regions within provinces, since the small towns and villages don't have much medical capacity to handle an outbreak.  We just don't know if summer will significantly slow the virus or not.

Considering the rumbling about a major second wave in the fall/winter, and what is needed to safely loosen restrictions I often wonder about any international fs at all next season.  I worry about fatigue over lockdowns leading to major spikes, but I hope I'm wrong and governments and people are disciplined enough to keep the curve flattened. 

4CC have shown the feasibility of a large skating contest with attendance, without contamination. More than a month later, Montréal planned WC have shown that not all organisations were able to follow them in establishing safety rules and processes.

Have there been any acknowledgement from Skate Canada, about their shortcomings in this preparation? If not, I would be as cautious as you are.

As to the number of cases in Québec, I've had echoes of overreporting of Covid-19 hospitalisations and deaths of elderly people, due in fact to dehydration and denutrition :cry: because their relatives, who used to compensate staff shortage, could no more come and help them, and not directly to the disease; though indirectly, after all they are related to a poor management of the epidemic.

I feel like we hardly will have GP season at all (as sad as it is) as it seems like many countries will not open boarders for travel this year, maybe only local comps. Will be good thing if at least training will restart in Autumn (and they will allow some kind business travel, or for long-term foreign workers / sportsmen to return to their base even if maybe with 14 day quarantine).

15 hours ago, Songster01 said:

It's not confirmed yet, but one local Toronto news outlet is hinting that the CNE, the Canadian National Exhibition, a large end-of-summer fair in Toronto

They just cancelled the Ottawa Bluesfest yesterday, it's in mid-July. I'm thinking that bird has flown. All the provincial premiers are saying the same thing with their plans for reopening the economy, etc: no large gatherings or festivals for the foreseeable future. :(

I'm holding out hope for SCI at the end of October since it's in the sweet spot between what I expect will be the proper end of the first COVID wave and the start of flu season, but even so, I don't think it's going to be the same as before, if it does get held. IMO it'll be half the audience, at best, if they even decide to hold it or sell tickets. 

And yet... South Korea held 4CC right in the teeth of the rising pandemic, and no one got sick. They took massive precautions, and it worked. there's no reason why it couldn't work here. 

edited to add this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/airborne-coronavirus-detected-in-wuhan-hospitals/ar-BB13lW9d?li=AAggNb9

Fab. Just wonderful. *sarcasm*

50 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

They just cancelled the Ottawa Bluesfest yesterday, it's in mid-July. I'm thinking that bird has flown. All the provincial premiers are saying the same thing with their plans for reopening the economy, etc: no large gatherings or festivals for the foreseeable future. :(

I'm holding out hope for SCI at the end of October since it's in the sweet spot between what I expect will be the proper end of the first COVID wave and the start of flu season, but even so, I don't think it's going to be the same as before, if it does get held. IMO it'll be half the audience, at best, if they even decide to hold it or sell tickets. 

And yet... South Korea held 4CC right in the teeth of the rising pandemic, and no one got sick. They took massive precautions, and it worked. there's no reason why it couldn't work here. 

edited to add this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/airborne-coronavirus-detected-in-wuhan-hospitals/ar-BB13lW9d?li=AAggNb9

Fab. Just wonderful. *sarcasm*

I think we must wait until we know the probability of a contamination with such amounts. Of course it is worrying but it was expected?

I think there could be CoV-awareness cells in most countries, some already have epidemiological quick response units, once "life restarts", to tackle any start of a cluster. Strategists would probably tell us such active method would work better than passive general confinement. Though it needs at least some little bit of competence at the head.