2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

Thanks for the info! Is there some official date until gatherings/sporting events are cancelled by government or local officials for now? If not I'm not sure ACI can be cancelled until consulted with the ISU on the matter as it's a challenger and not just a local event and we all know how long the decision they can take. I wonder if they are considering to hold events without viewers (will depend on what major Feds will decide I guess).

They may also consider implementing serious safety measures to be able to hold the event without causing any contamination?

18 hours ago, Lunna said:

Thanks for the info! Is there some official date until gatherings/sporting events are cancelled by government or local officials for now? If not I'm not sure ACI can be cancelled until consulted with the ISU on the matter as it's a challenger and not just a local event and we all know how long the decision they can take. I wonder if they are considering to hold events without viewers (will depend on what major Feds will decide I guess).

As far as 'official' dates go, I believe the ISU has set a cancellation deadline of ten weeks before the start of individual Challenger and GP events. (Someone mentioned it in another thread). So for ACI in mid-September, that means the beginning of July. And for SCI, that means the decision has to be made by roughly the 3rd week of August. 

I think it should be fairly clear by then which way things are going. We'll either be firmly in the 'new normal' ( yes please!), or in the depths of the second wave (God forbid.)

But even if the events are held and audiences can go, air travel is not going to be at normal levels and getting here could be tough. 

15 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

They may also consider implementing serious safety measures to be able to hold the event without causing any contamination?

Skate Canada didn't seem to do much for Worlds safety-wise, apart from saying more cleaning would be done plus hand sanitizer stations, which alone would not be enough to make it safe.  For ACI, the rink seating is compact and they would need to cut the number of fans rather drastically to keep people sitting 6m apart (this means 6m on either side and in front/back of each person).  I don't know the SCI 2020 rink from personal experience, but I'd assume social distancing would also be required, which again would mean far less tickets available to be able to do that.  Obviously if Y was able to attend then those tickets would sell out (unless only Canadian fans are permitted), but not sure if that would be nearly enough for them financially unless they made the prices obscene to make up for it.  Note, that would be in a scenario in which athletes from abroad were allowed in, but regular tourists would not be.  Even if international fans were permitted, would they want to pay for 14 days worth of self-isolation as well (plus possibly another 14 day's worth when they return home?)?  I'm also assuming masking would not be required, since so far masks are not being required for people going into stores here in Ontario unfortunately.  I think at the very most maybe half of the people at the stores I've visited during the lockdown had them.  And local public health is very much emphasizing SOCIAL DISTANCING and HANDWASHING with masks for the general public as a useful addition to hinder asymptomatic spread, but they always make sure to say masks can't replace the other safety measures.

Obviously it's best to see what our most popular sports end up doing over the summer and early fall: hockey and basketball and whether they get through w/o outbreaks.  I get the idea from past discussions in Canadian media that fans won't be permitted for the forseeable future.  Just too easy for people to get lax and the fear of someone attending becoming a superspreader is legitimate.  Also of interest is whether they'd keep athletes on one side of the border or another, or if they would be permitted to cross as long as they can prove they are negative or have had it already.  In one sense, with very popular team sports you would be able to pay for players to self-isolate repeatedly if they had to move to another location.  If movement across the border is ok, then skaters will likely be allowed to cross as exceptions.  However, the logistics of the GP may make holding that series more difficult if skaters had to stick to the traditional schedule and the traditional locations.  I'd hope for the sake of those in higher-risk categories they would not skimp on self-isolation rules.  It's a sport and it's not worth endangering people needlessly. 

An addition from Skate Ontario: this will need confirmation, but I heard a little bit of their FB Live and it sounds like for now they are only cancelling Minto and hoping for the best re: everything else this coming season, including North York SS in August.  Not sure if they'd do NY as a fan-less or fan-limited event, but I don't think that event relies nearly as much on ticket sales, as it's only CDN$5 per day and the events I've attended have never been full.  Scotiabank Pond is usually very lively especially on the weekend days of the event, but most of the people there are skaters, their teams, volunteers, and family.  I think if they were smart they could direct traffic in the hallways to make things safer for participants.  Not sure if dressing areas would permit social distancing or not easily. 

Note that if domestic events take place in some fashion, that does not mean Challengers or GPs will take place, given that they are intended to be open to international skaters and fans.  No idea if the border will be open this fall, but as I said above, I think opening, especially for tourists, especially from the US could be a deadly mistake for us.  Asymptomatic spread seems to be too common and I can see people with even mild symptoms at the time of an event still coming regardless.  So then we'd have to see if Skate Canada would be ok with fan-less international events.

I hope Canadians don't get too lax, because likely nearly all Canadians are still fresh fodder for the virus atm.  A colleague in Montreal has been already seeing people stopping with social distancing and they have even less reason than Ontarians to be complacent.  Sad to say the US will likely be an object lesson in what happens when you open up too soon, from what experts expect to happen over the next couple months, though of course I hope they wrong, because that will mean so much more unnecessary suffering and death.  Anyway, Canadians should do the right thing regardless and stay strong in social distancing etc until a safe and reliable vaccine is made widely available.  I also think keeping our border closed for tourists is the wisest option.  Normally I adore seeing fans from around the world at skating events, but it just seems too much a risk, knowing human nature and knowing that asymptomatic spread is a major concern.

About the mess of Worlds, this is precisely what I meant.

4CC were held early in February with compulsory masks, an efficient process of disinfection, and without 6m between each spectator. There was no contamination. And Worlds organisers didn't bother, in a month, to ask 4CC organisers how they did and to propose the same. I wondered if Skate Canada had reflected upon their shortcomings, and would be able this time to ask 4CC organisers how they did, and to implement the same process for ACI and SCI. I don't think it would be a problem to require masks even if they are not compulsory in the whole province.

Of course it would suppose no quarantine would be required at that time.

But it would be a good test, figure skating audience being I think generally more compliant and quiet, to see if sports events may resume.

1 час назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

But it would be a good test, figure skating audience being I think generally more compliant and quiet, to see if sports events may resume.

I guess at first we will see what will happen in more popular and money filled sports like football and tennis. Will they resume at least locally at first without viewers? I've heard in some news that baseball season started in S.Korea without viewers.

I almost gave up on travel this year, but having comps without viewers or only with locals might be not so bad too. But at first we must see when athletes can resume training, if not in the summer by July at least, then there's no sense to hold early autumn events and situation might be very different in different countries.

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

I guess at first we will see what will happen in more popular and money filled sports like football and tennis. Will they resume at least locally at first without viewers? I've heard in some news that baseball season started in S.Korea without viewers.

I almost gave up on travel this year, but having comps without viewers or only with locals might be not so bad too. But at first we must see when athletes can resume training, if not in the summer by July at least, then there's no sense to hold early autumn events and situation might be very different in different countries.

And the training situation might be very different in different countries- will ISU push on if a significant proportion of skaters haven’t had enough training time?  Or will that depend on which nationality they are?

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

To this end, if athletes can resume training at all, we might see more events like this one: 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/sport/duplantis-lavillenie-kendricks-pole-vault-backyard-spt-intl/index.html

In my opinion, this is probably the best way forward for the ISU, assuming they can figure out an unbiased way of judging such virtual events.I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  

And assuming figure skaters would even want to try this. After Worlds was cancelled, there was more than one athlete expressing the opinion that having an audience is actually a necessary part of the competition and it has no meaning otherwise. 

7 часов назад, Sombreuil сказал:

And the training situation might be very different in different countries- will ISU push on if a significant proportion of skaters haven’t had enough training time?  Or will that depend on which nationality they are?

Yes, situations will differ a lot. Also in countries like Japan and Russia with significant amount of skaters you must do regionals/sectionals or take part in GPs to take part in Nats, so if GPs will be cancelled, regionals (if can be held of course) might be interesting. Interesting if smth like CoR or NHK can be held as separate trophy if GP series will be cancelled.

5 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

After Worlds was cancelled, there was more than one athlete expressing the opinion that having an audience is actually a necessary part of the competition and it has no meaning otherwise. 

Back in March I would say the same, but now it looks like this situation will prolong for who knows how long, so some might change that opinion. It's very hard for me to imagine Yuzu skating without audience, but at the same time there're junior comps and challengers with quite a few viewers. I'd say it can be an opportunity to make video coverage more interesting, but sadly I don't believe in ISU.

56 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Given the extreme character of the precautions, I see it more negatively. Let's see...

Meanwhile, yesterday Sendai Rink published a PDF :

https://icerink-sendai.net/uploads/article/20200507103803_1966763753.pdf

I understand it as meaning the rink will work from 11th on, but only for clubs and teams? Which would certainly mean Yuzuru Hanyu, if he is in Japan, may have some practice time (if there is no change), as he certainly still belongs to the club.

Here is an English translation by deepl.com:

Thank you very much for always using the ice rink Sendai.
Due to the extended state of emergency, all general business and skating classes have been cancelled.
General Sales]
The cancellation of the general business has been extended until May 31.
[Skating class].
Please understand that the skating classes after April 19th have been abruptly cancelled.
If you are renewing in April, we will carry over the remaining minutes to the next time.
Sunday/Sunday Kids→Two installments for April 19 and 26
Chick 1, Monkey → Two installments on April 21st and 28th.
Chick 2 -> one time on April 23rd.
Some customers have to carry over from March (one payment) and April.
Please tell us the class name and the name of the person taking the class when you make an inquiry.
Classes were scheduled to resume on May 12th.
      →All skating classes in May will also be cancelled.
[chartered]
It will resume on May 11.
Only for clubs and teams in Miyagi Prefecture.
There will be no access to the Link Gallery during the holiday period.
If you have any questions, please use the contact form on our website.
The period may be extended or changed depending on future circumstances.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
I hope everyone can enjoy skating as soon as possible.
Thursday, May 7, 2020.
All the staff of the ice rink in Sendai

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

Tatyana Navka and her husband Dmitri Peskov have both contracted Covid 19 and are hospitalized now. 

I hope they will soon be better.

Russia are testing more than any other country in terms of daily tests per million inhabitants, I think, yet of course not everybody will be tested every week, this would be impossible.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, river said:

@liv I'm pretty sure they think COVID-19 "lives" in the brain from how far up they go. My nose still doesn't feel right. Sounds like it was the same for you?

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. So far, so good. I feel so lazy staying home from work for what I'm pretty sure is just a cold. (That is NOT DONE in my field.) But from a public health standpoint, it's the right thing to do.

@river Lol.. Yes, the test was quite invasive.. but it was my ears that ended up hurting for the rest of the day. My coworker said his nose hurt for a few hours. I think when they go *hunting* it depends on who is doing your test. Where we work, the staff went to public health to get tested and most of us reported feeling like our brains, eyes, or nose had been *violated.* But a friend of mine who works at another home said that paramedics came in to do the staff/residents there and she said it wasn't at all like I described. She said it was just up the nose a bit and swirled around for a second and then out. I swear I counted 10 seconds or so as my nurse twirled that swab around and my fists were clenched...

In these times it is best to stay home if you have even mild symptoms. Crazy, I know,  when normal practice is get your butt to work unless you are basically unable to get up out of bed. I never want to be responsible for an outbreak that could cost lives. Years ago I went to work one day with mild symptoms that got worse that night... and that week most clients I had worked with got sick. I felt horrible, knowing that i had caused it.... but at least it proved to be nothing fatal. I learned my lesson.

It seems that more things are opening up.. not like normal, obviously, but at least things are starting to open and there is a hope for businesses to at least make some money/people can go to work....

Hope everyone stays well!

11 hours ago, Fay said:

Tatyana Navka and her husband Dmitri Peskov have both contracted Covid 19 and are hospitalized now. 

I hope they get better as soon as possible. 'Hospitalization' implies 'really seriously ill' to me. 

My hospital is down to only 2 patients in ICU and holding...and the case numbers in my city seem to be levelling off. Also, our infection control finally got the memo and issued a directive that all patients and visitors (essential ones only) must wear masks at all times, plus staff are now permitted to wear masks if they can't physically keep 2m distance from others (which is basically everyone). only 5 weeks late but better late than never. 

8 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

I hope they get better as soon as possible. 'Hospitalization' implies 'really seriously ill' to me. 

In the news they said that after 2 days Navka felt ok and they asked for hospitalization to stay away from the family. I'm sure that politics, famous people etc. get good treatment, not so sure about others though. I believe people only with strong symptoms (high temperature, trouble breathing etc.) are hospitalized now.