General Yuzuru Chat

Adding another translation to what @Anni already posted; 

What a great message for younger skaters by the way, healthy mindset a mentor could share within a competitive (and one that has so much depth as japanese skating), cutthroat environment. 
“Trust yourself, what you are feeling”. 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Also, if anyone wants hd pictures of Yuzu:

Nice of them :YuzuPoohLove:

If you go to the link, remember to click on the pics, there are archives there with 20 pictures of him, including 2012 Romeo 🥰

Many of these pictures can be found on pinterest or similar places, many quite iconic, but the quality here is much better. 

Have fun on memory lane! 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/dec/04/yuzuru-hanyu-john-curry-figure-skating

I searched to see if the Guardian had reported on Yuzu's change to professional skater, and what came up was this article from 2015 inspired by Yuzu's NHK record breaking Seimei skate in 2015 - it is mainly about John Curry (an Olympic FS champion from the 70s for those who don't know who promoted artistry and technical excellence in his skating and courageously came out as a gay man during his competitive career) but is interesting for those Fanyus who haven't seen it - the last paragraph made me smile wryly - how FS, and the UK, and the world, has changed since then...

"Hanyu unfurled a long programme that fulfilled all the promises Curry had ever made about the potential of his sport to attain the condition of art.

The swiftness, the flow and the precision of the Japanese champion’s movements, in a programme containing three quadruple jumps and seven triples, had the same effect on his audience as the Englishman’s game‑changing displays of grace, poise and exquisite line. And for both men, the beauty of their performance provided an elegant cloak to hide all the countless hours of hard work that had gone into the creation of such supreme athletic prowess."

"Hanyu, blessed with boy-band looks, wore an oyster-coloured tunic trimmed with purple and glittering with jewels as he spun like a sycamore seed in a light breeze through the jumps that studded his historic long programme. And nobody, the morning after, was going to confront him with coded questions about masculinity and athleticism. In a darkening world, there at least was a point of light."

Guest Mary_kyo
8 minutes ago, Pammi said:

"Hanyu, blessed with boy-band looks, wore an oyster-coloured tunic trimmed with purple and glittering with jewels as he spun like a sycamore seed in a light breeze through the jumps that studded his historic long programme. And nobody, the morning after, was going to confront him with coded questions about masculinity and athleticism. In a darkening world, there at least was a point of light."

Well, they did actually confront him later. The author little did know that time that Yuzu was actually going to be thrown under the bus in the following years, not just because he is Japanese, but precisely also because of his skating style and customes. No, FS is still a very homophobic and misogynist sport, at the root. The American guy was loved by ISU not just because of his passport but because of his skating ideals too. The American guy was exactly the poster boy for "masculinity" and "athleticism" for the whole past 4 years. Anyway, all of this dark stuff now belongs to history. I just wish this battle didn't end this ugly and political. 

1 minute ago, Mary_kyo said:

Well, they did actually confront him later.

That was exactly my point - John Curry was asked questions directly by the media about these issues once he came out as gay, and his scores dipped afterwards....Yuzu didn't have the direct questioning, but his experience of the change in attitude, scoring, and PCS changes can be compared to John's - more covert, but same effect

1 hour ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

On a somewhat lighter note (yet probably still urgent(?) enough...)

Hide contents

Now that Yuzu could likely take more "sponsors"/business partners do you think that Disney Japan would finally partner up with him? (Making him the Japanese Christopher Robin??)

On one hand I am actually rather wary of Yuzu becoming a Disney pawn, but on the other hand the sheer power of this partnership... Holy MOLY

(In the end this is just my idle musing, so best not take this too seriously 😅😅🙈

Yuzu never signed with a mega agency and your circumspection about a contract with a corporate giant is probably wise

It would make me laugh if Yuzu made a few guest appearances in a Disney in Ice production, dancing with Pooh san, would be a super cute little number

IIrc Yuzu performed with M and M Mouse and some children for a charity event in the past

1 hour ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

We (well, I, I guess :animated-smileys-disguised-062::S) thought Yuzu would still be able to get ahead just the way he did it in 2014-2018, but...goodness how wrong I was back then :animated-smileys-halloween-012: — of course ISU willed it differently.

Same. You know what?

Remember how fired up Yuzu was after 2019 GPF during the press conference?

And him mentioning he later wants to try 5 quads in a program in the future at the 2019 Worlds Press Conference?

Yuzu was a totally different person back then. He actually sounded very hopeful that he would ultimately win.

Also after 2019 Worlds FS backstage, when Yuzu saw Nathan's score he said stuff like "I'm gonna practice 4Lz" in Japanese when Tracy and Brian tried to comfort him. I feel back in 2019, Yuzu thought that he had a chance against the ISU corruption, and we did too.

It's only after Covid canceled 2020 Worlds, and Yuzu went back to Japan for good, and then things started turning out very strange, with Yuzu not being able to do GP and such due to injury etc.

I think ISU corruption along with the separation from TCC and every thing else just made the last 3 years quite a miserable experience when viewing men's singles competitions. 
It's not the same sport to me anymore. For me, figure skating died in 2020 4CC.

I'm glad Yuzu is out of this clown show and ready to do his own thing. He doesn't need ISU competitions. ISU competitions need him, but they are either too dumb to realize or they will realize soon when they notice the new Quad King and Quad God ain't selling them men's singles tickets like Yuzu did. 

Hi Admins, Mods, Satellites

Is the Planet planning to organise a planetary wide "good luck for the future type of support message" for Yuzu?

It would be something to confirm ongoing support for Yuzu and an affirmation to him that people still want to be involved with whatever has has planned for the future.

Leaving competitive life cannot have been an easy decision.

The timing of the announcement after having said he wanted to ratify the 4A still seems off kilter, just a couple more ISU events, Challenger series even, could have let Yuzu have his childhood dreams fulfilled.

For many reasons, both his own personal reasons and possibly some external factors, Yuzu has left the competition arena. 

Yuzu mentioned that he had felt unsure about reactions from fans and although Yuzu owes nothing to anyone outside of his close circle, it would be really nice if his concerns for fans could be allayed with a message of support.

Now that Yuzu is no longer with JSF or TCC, finding a contact to deliver a physical gift or dedications book might be difficult, but there must be some way to do it and if funds are required I would be willing to offer a donation to help with this project

Thank you for your indulgence