General Yuzuru Chat

To anyone who changed the wikipedia from "retired japanese figure skater" to "Japanese former competitive figure skater", i really want to say thank you. Yesterday when i saw this, i get affected by the word and cried again (i was pretty much sensitive with that word), though finally i've made peace with myself and get more positive view toward this new stage of Yuzu, but i really want to say thank you to the one who change because it is much more pleasant to see rather than 'retired' :headdesk2:

@YuzurellaExactly. Even with how well he was doing and improving more and more, he was being treated so unfairly. He knows, he always knew. You can see the disappointment in his face at the Kiss &Cry when they announce his scores, when he said “I hope the rotation was okay for the toe.” We’re talking about a guy whose graduation thesis on AI judging, a clear call to reform the system. 

Yuzu always said he loves to compete and he loves to win. So to hear this in his presscon was bittersweet: “I think I have grown in such a way that I don't seek that kind of evaluation anymore."

I say bittersweet because I’m happy that he has outgrown that and chose to take care of himself by leaving something that doesn’t give him joy anymore. Sad and angry because would we have come to this conclusion had he only gotten the scores he deserved? Isu can reslly choke and burn themselves

11 minutes ago, caramelicht said:

To anyone who changed the wikipedia from "retired japanese figure skater" to "Japanese former competitive figure skater", i really want to say thank you. Yesterday when i saw this, i get affected by the word and cried again (i was pretty much sensitive with that word), though finally i've made peace with myself and get more positive view toward this new stage of Yuzu, but i really want to say thank you to the one who change because it is much more pleasant to see rather than 'retired' :headdesk2:

I think @Henni147is in charge of editing Yuzu’s wiki! Thank you for always updating it ❤️

18 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Nah, he’d walk in unannounced, signal the front door security guy to not raise the alarm, walk down the steps and across the open space to the benches along the wall by the rink wearing all black and his black cap, pulling his gold hardshell carry-on, change into his black UA practice outfit, put on his skates and nonchalantly join Tracy’s stroking class.

After the stroking class, he might consider giving everyone a thrill by effortlessly jumping and landing a pristine quadruple Axel, a jump that he would have perfected by then.

That would be awesome, and I hope he does one day.  It's part of his history,being there, and to do it so casually would just be right. And it would add to his ' legend' even if that was the furthest thing from his mind. Like Batman dropping for a quick check on his bat cave... 

Yuzu’s official message on JSF site:

edit4: Translation from our dear Marika!

[NEWS]

Yuzu’s profile on JSF has also been deleted. Thankfully I have screenshots of the latest updates hehe 

Edit2:

So his visit to JOC/JSF was to probably cancel his registration with the institutions.

Edit3: Actually, ANA sent the request to JSF, formally. So Yuzu now is officially under ANA, not JSF, they are the ones taking care of all his discontinuations.

Oh. This made me giggle.  

A few months ago, before Yuzu retired, I had an idea to start a letter campaign to the ISU explaining how we were unhappy the way they were steering away from artistry and how they needed to use technology for accurate scoring. The idea was to produce a professional quality letter explaining how we are unhappy with the direction the ISU is taking away from artistry and their unwillingness to use available technology to insure scores are not unfair. Then, we were going to ask thousands of fans to send a copy of the letter to the ISU. 

I knew I couldn't do this on my own, especially because I am not an expert on figure skating and technology. So, Anabel contacted me and said she was willing to organize it. She got us our own thread on Planethanyu called "ISU Letter Action" under the General Yuzu thread. I am the legal advisor, editor, and cheerleader who works closely with Anabel. We bounce ideas back and forth. We recruited excellent expert writers and an webpage designer. We found about a dozen people willing to translate the letter into their languages. We were making progress on this campaign. Then, Yuzu retired.

We are now befuddled and don't know what to do. Should we quit? Should we continue? Each of us have rolling emotions. We have decided to give ourselves until Sunday to decide if we will continue the project.

One of my concerns was that since Yuzu retired, is that fans would not participate in our campaign (called ICE, "International Correspondence Event: To advance the sport of figure skating.") So, my question is, what do you think? Would you download and print a prewritten letter to the ISU in an attempt to save figure skating from becoming "ice jumping" and to make scoring more standard and fair? Or, would you say, meh, since Yuzu is no longer competing, the question is moot, and you wouldn't bother mailing a letter to the ISU within a certain time frame? Is the project worth continuing beyond Yuzu's retirement?

I really would like to know what Fanyus think. Thank you.

Yuzuru the boy became Yuzuru the man and now Yuzuru the man has become Yuzuru the Corporation, a powerful newly logoed juggernaut, never to be used (without his consent), bullied or manipulated by anyone ever again.

Of course, Yuzu will not change. He will remain true to himself and to his fans. I have the feeling that Yuzuru the Corporation will find ingenious ways to make his skating much more accessible to his international fans. Why would he hire a law firm known for its expertise in international law otherwise?

14 minutes ago, Muffinator said:

A few months ago, before Yuzu retired, I had an idea to start a letter campaign to the ISU explaining how we were unhappy the way they were steering away from artistry and how they needed to use technology for accurate scoring. The idea was to produce a professional quality letter explaining how we are unhappy with the direction the ISU is taking away from artistry and their unwillingness to use available technology to insure scores are unfair. Then, we were going to ask thousands of fans to send a copy of the letter to the ISU. 

I knew I couldn't do this on my own, especially because I am not an expert on figure skating and technology. So, Anabel contacted me and said she was willing to organize it. She got us our own thread on Planethanyu called "ISU Letter Action" under the General Yuzu thread. I am the legal advisor, editor, and cheerleader who works closely with Anabel. We bounce ideas back and forth. We recruited excellent expert writers and an webpage designer. We found about a dozen people willing to translate the letter into their languages. We were making progress on this campaign. Then, Yuzu retired.

We are now befuddled and don't know what to do. Should we quit? Should we continue? Each of us have rolling emotions. We have decided to give ourselves until Sunday to decide if we will continue the project.

One of my concerns was that since Yuzu retired, is that fans would not participate in our campaign (called ICE, "International Correspondence Event: To advance the sport of ice skating.") So, my question is, what do you think? Would you download and print a prewritten letter to the ISU in an attempt to save figure skating from becoming "ice jumping" and to make scoring more standard and fair? Or, would you say, meh, since Yuzu is no longer competing, the question is moot, and you wouldn't bother mailing a letter to the ISU within a certain time frame? Is the project worth continuing beyond Yuzu's retirement?

I personally still think it's important, especially since it is to help save the sport that Yuzuru loves so much, and if you and Anabel still feel motivated, it's still worth pursuing.  But in the end it may be more up to the Fanyus who have the expertise to do the writing/web designing/AI analysis, and if they still feel the motivation to continue.  I have no expertise to contribute, but would be willing to print and send a letter.  I believe there are still a lot of Fanyus who have other skaters they like and care about, who also love the sport, and who would still want to make judging fair for the sake of a new generation of skaters, even if it's too late to help Yuzu.

Perhaps it would be good to take a break for a week or two rather than trying to make a decision by Sunday, and then come back to it, give yourselves and others time to process the grief and intense mixed emotions of Yuzuru's retirement.  I think it's ok to wait, and then reevaluate.  It's just too hard to have a clear head right now, emotions are still too raw.

I want to thank you and Anabel, and your whole letter-writing team for all the work you've put in so far on this campaign.  It's a fine tribute to Yuzuru, even if you choose not to continue right now.

24 minutes ago, Mona_Melissa said:

I personally still think it's important, especially since it is to help save the sport that Yuzuru loves so much, and if you and Anabel still feel motivated, it's still worth pursuing.  But in the end it may be more up to the Fanyus who have the expertise to do the writing/web designing/AI analysis, and if they still feel the motivation to continue.  I have no expertise to contribute, but would be willing to print and send a letter.  I believe there are still a lot of Fanyus who have other skaters they like and care about, who also love the sport, and who would still want to make judging fair for the sake of a new generation of skaters, even if it's too late to help Yuzu.

Perhaps it would be good to take a break for a week or two rather than trying to make a decision by Sunday, and then come back to it, give yourselves and others time to process the grief and intense mixed emotions of Yuzuru's retirement.  I think it's ok to wait, and then reevaluate.  It's just too hard to have a clear head right now, emotions are still too raw.

I want to thank you and Anabel, and your whole letter-writing team for all the work you've put in so far on this campaign.  It's a fine tribute to Yuzuru, even if you choose not to continue right now.

I agree. I also think you should go with it. I’ll happily send a copy of the letter if needed. Yuzu’s thesis is proof of his vision for the sport and a call for reform and it’s worth trying to save the sport that Yuzu loves so much. 

If that can get through ISU and a miracle actually happens, the younger generation of skaters would largely benefit from it and I think that would make Yuzu happy knowing how he’s always looked out for his juniors. 

Don’t rush yourselves and give yourself time to allow yourself to process your emotions from Yuzu’s announcement. 

Thank you @Muffinatorand Anabel for doing this.

1 hour ago, Muffinator said:

A few months ago, before Yuzu retired, I had an idea to start a letter campaign to the ISU explaining how we were unhappy the way they were steering away from artistry and how they needed to use technology for accurate scoring. The idea was to produce a professional quality letter explaining how we are unhappy with the direction the ISU is taking away from artistry and their unwillingness to use available technology to insure scores are unfair. Then, we were going to ask thousands of fans to send a copy of the letter to the ISU. 

One of my concerns was that since Yuzu retired, is that fans would not participate in our campaign (called ICE, "International Correspondence Event: To advance the sport of figure skating.") So, my question is, what do you think? Would you download and print a prewritten letter to the ISU in an attempt to save figure skating from becoming "ice jumping" and to make scoring more standard and fair? Or, would you say, meh, since Yuzu is no longer competing, the question is moot, and you wouldn't bother mailing a letter to the ISU within a certain time frame? Is the project worth continuing beyond Yuzu's retirement?

me too I would like to help sending the letter because I want your hard work to not go to waste, but at the end you guys doing all the hard work should decide if you want to proceed or not :2thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzuru the boy became Yuzuru the man and now Yuzuru the man has become Yuzuru the Corporation, a powerful newly logoed juggernaut, never to be used (without his consent), bullied or manipulated by anyone ever again.

Yuzuru the Corporation. I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around all this. Such a paradigm shift overnight, this newly independent, business-savvy Yuzuru, with all kinds of new surprises up his sleeve, especially since two days ago we were all anticipating and planning for a new competitive season.  But I sure do like the sound of never to be used, bullied or manipulated ever again.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I have the feeling that Yuzuru the Corporation will find ingenious ways to make his skating much more accessible to his international fans. Why would he hire a law firm known for its expertise in international law otherwise?

For the first time since Yuzuru's announcement, I felt a little spark of excitement at reading this.  It seems that when Yuzuru sets his sights on something, he wastes no time putting plans into motion.  He's amazing!