General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Xiupia said:

Adding another translation to what @Anni already posted; 

What a great message for younger skaters by the way, healthy mindset a mentor could share within a competitive (and one that has so much depth as japanese skating), cutthroat environment. 
“Trust yourself, what you are feeling”. 

This is such a great message from Yuzu, not only for younger skaters, but it's great life advice in general. In life you often don't get the results you want no matter what you do. Sometimes you work so hard to achieve your goals, but for whatever reason, things don't work out the way you want. That's disappointing and even heartbreaking.

It's so important to overcome these setbacks and move on with the right mindset. Yuzu is right. These events are whatever you make of them. You can see them as failures and let them break you, even let them define you as a person. Or you can see them as valuable lessons and life experience, stepping stones on your life journey to become better, happier, and stronger.

2 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

Well, they did actually confront him later. The author little did know that time that Yuzu was actually going to be thrown under the bus in the following years, not just because he is Japanese, but precisely also because of his skating style and customes. No, FS is still a very homophobic and misogynist sport, at the root. The American guy was loved by ISU not just because of his passport but because of his skating ideals too. The American guy was exactly the poster boy for "masculinity" and "athleticism" for the whole past 4 years. Anyway, all of this dark stuff now belongs to history. I just wish this battle didn't end this ugly and political. 

I agree. Everything about Yuzu goes against the ideal skater that certain organizations have in mind, including his skating style, his looks, his costumes, his programs, his nationality, and the fact that he blurs the lines between genders. The level of racism, misogyny, and homophobia that is still embedded deeply within the institutions governing figure skating is unfortunately still very high. They still seem to be stuck in the 1970s.

But well, let them have their masculine ice jumpers. Let's see if they'll wake up when these jumping beans fail to attract large crowds and sell tickets.

2 hours ago, Skrimblo_iced said:

The ISU is putting videos of Yuzu programs up on their channel 

They're still trying to squeeze out as much money as possible out of him. :dry:

50 minutes ago, Pammi said:
Just out of interest - assignments must be on their way soon then presumably.
Edit - assignments published tomorrow

If Rika comes to Sheffield, maybe I will go  as I might not have chance for such a "local" GP ever again....but I need to save up for Yuzuru's shows too so :shrug:

Perhaps they could finally book the small ice rink and finalize the deal now that Yuzu is gone. There is no need for the large arena anymore. :coolio:

2 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Hi Admins, Mods, Satellites

Is the Planet planning to organise a planetary wide "good luck for the future type of support message" for Yuzu?

It would be something to confirm ongoing support for Yuzu and an affirmation to him that people still want to be involved with whatever has has planned for the future.

Leaving competitive life cannot have been an easy decision.

The timing of the announcement after having said he wanted to ratify the 4A still seems off kilter, just a couple more ISU events, Challenger series even, could have let Yuzu have his childhood dreams fulfilled.

For many reasons, both his own personal reasons and possibly some external factors, Yuzu has left the competition arena. 

Yuzu mentioned that he had felt unsure about reactions from fans and although Yuzu owes nothing to anyone outside of his close circle, it would be really nice if his concerns for fans could be allayed with a message of support.

Now that Yuzu is no longer with JSF or TCC, finding a contact to deliver a physical gift or dedications book might be difficult, but there must be some way to do it and if funds are required I would be willing to offer a donation to help with this project

Thank you for your indulgence

Would it be possible to send him something through Ice Rink Sendai now that he's no longer with JSF? I think they'd make sure he gets it. :)

19 minutes ago, Elly said:

Would it be possible to send him something through Ice Rink Sendai now that he's no longer with JSF? I think they'd make sure he gets it. :)

I had wondered if that route might be feasible. 

It might be sensible to make an enquiry as to whether they would be willing to undertake this, otherwise it might be seen as presumptive and the message and gift may not reach Yuzu

The Planet would need someone to reach out to them if that option was to be explored

Hey everyone, hope you are all feeling better:loveshower:. I'm still very emo ngl, but also relieved and excited for the future. 

I was wondering if any of you could help me find that clip of brian talking about the first time he met yuzu, i'm pretty sure i saw it in a javier documentary pre pyeongchang a few years ago but can't find it anywhere now. Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Is the Planet planning to organise a planetary wide "good luck for the future type of support message" for Yuzu?

It would be something to confirm ongoing support for Yuzu and an affirmation to him that people still want to be involved with whatever has has planned for the future.

The timing of the announcement after having said he wanted to ratify the 4A still seems off kilter, just a couple more ISU events, Challenger series even, could have let Yuzu have his childhood dreams fulfilled.

For many reasons, both his own personal reasons and possibly some external factors, Yuzu has left the competition arena. 

Yuzu mentioned that he had felt unsure about reactions from fans and although Yuzu owes nothing to anyone outside of his close circle, it would be really nice if his concerns for fans could be allayed with a message of support.

Now that Yuzu is no longer with JSF or TCC, finding a contact to deliver a physical gift or dedications book might be difficult, but there must be some way to do it and if funds are required I would be willing to offer a donation to help with this project

I would support this if anyone want to do it! 

Meanwhile, I'm quite curious about the reasons he announce the new chapter now.... saw some theories that seem very suspicious (even conspiracy) to me. Do everyone really think all the interviews he did during fantasy on ice are pointing to new season? He did emphasize 4A but never say anything about ratify anymore.... of course this is his childhood dream but he seems to be quite proud about 4A in olympic as well T  T

Maybe I'm just trying to comfort myself that he is making this decision not in a sudden.... 

4 hours ago, Perelandra said:

100 times yes!

I'd happily contact Sendai ice rink but I think it should be from someone who speaks at least a bit of Japanese.

24 minutes ago, SummerMemories said:

I would support this if anyone want to do it! 

Meanwhile, I'm quite curious about the reasons he announce the new chapter now.... saw some theories that seem very suspicious (even conspiracy) to me. Do everyone really think all the interviews he did during fantasy on ice are pointing to new season? He did emphasize 4A but never say anything about ratify anymore.... of course this is his childhood dream but he seems to be quite proud about 4A in olympic as well T  T

Maybe I'm just trying to comfort myself that he is making this decision not in a sudden.... 

He might publish another autobiography, as athletes do after retirement. Maybe we will know the full story then.

Many including myself were taken aback by the sudden retirement. Yuzu said he didn't rule out Milano Olympics in Beijing. But Yuzu did say after he came back from olympics, he thought it through. So in the course of 5 months he probably did alot of thinking and decided it was best for him to retire. I'm on board with anything now, I've fully accepted his retirement and I want him to rest and live his life in freedom. I guess we will never be able to see a skater like him in competition for a long time... so I am recently developing new interests to help myself from this withdrawal symptom. 

Alot of Fanyus said they will leave the sport once Yuzu retires, and I think I will too. I don't care who wins Worlds or GPF in men's anymore now that Yuzu is gone. My passion for men's figure skating died when Yuzu retired.. 

15 minutes ago, caramelicht said:

Yuzu is 💸💸💸💸

This makes me overjoyed and be super happy for Yuzu. Sponsors, advertising agencies, ice show backers, requests to appear on TV shoes and as commentator. 

Yuzu's projected earnings just from ice shows - just wow, wow, WOW. I'm more than delighted for him. Yuzu does not come across as at all materialistic but it is reassuring that he will be very, very well provisioned for the future and has solid backing for his projects.  :665e343793b9:

Spoiler

Bonus - Yuzu won't have to pay commission to JSF now he is a professional athlete

Yuzuru’s commercial standing is no surprise at all - it’s an excellent springboard for whatever he is percolating in that brain.

I am doubly bereft, Kohei Uchimura having also retired relatively recently, also with a terrible last Olympic quad plagued with injury and loss.  However he perfected the Bretschneider, in home competition if not in international competition before crashing out during the qualifying round at Tokyo.  They have been an aberration in my adult life.  I never expected to get fixated on any sportsman the way I did on Uchimura though I always enjoyed mens gymnastics, and especially the elegance of the Japanese men.  As a child I had a thing for John Curry so I suppose I was primed to respond when a reference to the CoC collision appeared in an interview with the Japanese gymnastics squad.  I watched and we all know the result of a casual trawl through the Hanyu footage - hook line and sinker.  Two Japanese superstars for the price of one.

At least Yuzuru can continue to skate and we can see him do so.  In fact I really look forward to seeing where he takes this.  I think I will probably dip into FS the way I’ve been dipping into gymnastics- I have a softer spot for team Japan in mens gymnastics than in mens skating, but I am interested to see how Roman Sadovsky progresses, I still love the Kobe girls, and as far as I know Sui &Han are still skating so I will dip in as and when it suits me. Idk if I have the heart to keep following juniors with the new rules.