General Yuzuru Chat

A Turkish man who was moved by Yuzuru skating said, "For me, figure skating is synonymous with Yuzuru Hanyu."

"He posted on one of the most popular forums in Turkey after watching LMEY at the Worlds, and the person who saw his post wanted to tell how amazing Yuzuru could make someone who has no interest in skating instantly fall in love with him, and that his fans are not only women."

Original post in Turkish:

https://eksisozluk.com/yuzuru-hanyu--3317216?p=8

Addition:

Translated by DeepL.

Spoiler

One day while I was flipping through the channels, I saw that there was a figure skating world championship on Eurosport 1 channel. At first I wanted to change the channel, but my wife said, "Oh, let's see." I said okay. Then the athletes started to come out one by one. First the French came out. then the Italians, then the Russians, and so on, and then a Japanese one came out. It was a tiny little guy, whose name I later learnt was Uno, was doing wonders on the ice. But then another Japanese guy, Kagiyama, came on the stage. He was skating so magnificently that it was as if he was skating on the ice like a wind-up toy, as if there was no possibility of making a mistake. For me, Kagiyama was now the best. There was no possibility of anyone better coming. But then Yuzuru came on the stage. At that moment I started to look at the screen as if I was mesmerised. The music he chose and his harmony with this music was sending me to other realms. He was so comfortable. He was so confident that walking on the road is more difficult than most people. Watching him, it was like I was living a moment that I never wanted to end. It was as if all the gods got together and decided to create a creature to skate on the ice and created Yuzuru. But as all good things come to an end, so did this marvellous natural phenomenon. For me, after that performance, no one else mattered.  Although my wife thought that Nathan Chen, who performed later and even won (if I remember correctly), was better, for me the book was closed and it was forbidden to even propose a discussion. The best in the world was Yuzuru Hanyu. Then I started to follow the calendar, to find out when other competitions were going to be held and to make plans to watch them. I even took leave from work and came late because he was going to try a quad axel in the winter olympics. Although it didn't happen, but thanks to him.
In short, for me figure skating is Yuzuru Hanyu.

(To Yuzuru,) If you read here one day, (I want you to) know that there is someone who follows this sport just for the respect for you.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

By the way @TokyoDream, you know, there is a separate FaOI thread. :hihi: Just in case you miss @caramelicht who has already found the Kobe-thread :smartass:, and because General Yuzuru Chat will be more quiet during those days.

The FaOI threads have been created for our most intelligent posts of the said days like How many? - Aaahhhhhh! - Was that fall intentional? - stream is lagging - need footage  and Yuzuuuuu! :wink2: :wave:

On 6/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, Figure_Frenzy said:

I think you still can throw Pooh from the judge side?? :think: Never heard any particular prohibition to this in any competition, not even in the big ones (GP and up).

Just make sure you don't hit the judges I guess? :xD:

The vast majority of Pooh sans was, of course, thrown from the VIP side opposite the judges. There were glass walls everywhere and I remember having trouble getting my plushy onto the ice since the seats were at some distance from the rink, at least at the short side opposite the K&C. Some plushies (not mine) landed on the heads of cameramen and photographers and some of them didn't even bother to pass them on. :rofl3:

14 hours ago, umeko said:

I won tickets to Fantasy on Ice Kobe, which will be broadcast live in movie theaters. :yes2:

Of course, the location is a movie theater in Miyagi Prefecture.

I think I've used up all my luck this year. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

I am glad that the Kobe ice show will be broadcast live in Taiwanese movie theaters. :loveshower:

On the day of the event, enjoy seeing cool Yuzuru on the big screen.

I pray that other countries will have Fantasy on Ice broadcast in their movie theaters. :grouphug:

After the Kobe show, I will write about the day here. :thanks:

Congratulation!! 

51 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

The vast majority of Pooh sans was, of course, thrown from the VIP side opposite the judges. There were glass walls everywhere and I remember having trouble getting my plushy onto the ice since the seats were at some distance from the rink, at least at the short side opposite the K&C. Some plushies (not mine) landed on the heads of cameramen and photographers and some of them didn't even bother to pass them on. :rofl3:

You know, at some point I did wonder whether the "bad" treatment Yuzu got by the judges was because of the Pooh-rain on their heads...

Happy too see new Yuzu's crumbs and happy too see that Tour B's performance won't be a violin version of Rondo!!! As much as I love Roncappu I wouldn't like to see a violin version in a ice show. Now I wonder what music he chose... Friday is too far away! Will we have news before that day with something about the new program? Of course not! heeheeheee

1 hour ago, DancingFeather said:

The FaOI threads have been created for our most intelligent posts of the said days like How many? - Aaahhhhhh! - Was that fall intentional? - stream is lagging - need footage  and Yuzuuuuu! :wink2: :wave:

:rofl3:exactly, plus you suddenly get a boost in your number of posts and getting your PH rank upgrade seemingly out of nowhere. 

On 6/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, Perelandra said:

Just want to see Yuzu skate live. 

Sorry to say, I will probably buy VIP ticket for events

In the past, I have not been able to go abroad to see Yuzu skate, family, work etc ( and slight apprehension of travelling solo ). No events of this calibre in UK

Clearly it's my decision alone, but I am willing to pay and hopefully see everything up close.

Sad to say, but having watched ISU congress in entirety, I have little hope that figure skating in the form that Planetary satellites enjoy, will survive unscathed. There was no mention of any new format, for example regarding a proposed split between jump laden 'athletic' vs 'artistic' event in singles.

Projecting my own feelings, but it seems that rather than introduce objective scoring systems and scrutinise judging to ensure adherence to scoring guide, ISU has made some dubious decisions, prioritising high BV jump programmes with little reward for PCS.

Imho programmes will be empty run ups to jumps. After this season, very few competitors will bother with the aesthetics as people sacrifice non scoring elements in order to gain jump landing consistency.

How this might affect Yuzu's decision as to his continued involvement is competitive skating remains to be seen. I don't want to squander this chance

Many apologies for whinging

Many thanks for the ticket info

My family has discussed passionately what conclusions Yuzu will draw from the recent decisions. It could be another challenge for him to "give lessons in what figure skating really is", as somebody already commented his performances, despite these new rules. At least he can be sure that people all over the world (and after Beijing even more) are aware what scores he would deserve ...

While my daughter joined me watching parts of the ISU Congress, her dad did some research and found an old article in "Die Welt". It's astonishing that this article was published in December 2002 but the content sounds very familiar. So people have been fighting the current development for 20 years - in vain.

https://www.welt.de/print-welt/article307428/Der-Applaus-und-die-Zweifel-von-Katarina-Witt.html

Hope the link works (sorry, this is my first time linking an article). Not sure if there is an official English version - and sorry in case this has been posted here before (maybe years ago). So here is my translation. I may not have used the correct terminology in the part where the technical aspects of jumps are described. Maybe @Henni147 or @Annicould check and make necessary corrections ...

Spoiler

The applause and the doubts of Katarina Witt

Published on 20.12.2002

Miki Ando (14) is the first woman to do a quadruple jump. But Japan's new figure skating talent does not earn admiration only.

By Markus Burkhardt

Figure skating appears to be at the threshold to a new era. The Japanese Miki Ando (14) was the first woman to land a quadruple Salchow on Sunday in The Hague. The world premiere was not a big surprise, since Ando's teammates Yoshie Onda and Fumie Suguri had attempted the jump earlier this year but stumbled on landing.

The figure skating world politely applauded Ando. Also Katarina Witt, two-time Olympic champion, declared: “I take my hat off to the courage of the girl. Landing a quadruple jump is an enormous athletic achievement.” However, Witt has doubts as to whether adding ever more difficult jumps to free programs is good for figure skating: “Figure skating, that’s not just the jumps. They are important for the technical score but our sport also has something to do with art - which must not be lost, otherwise the spectators will stay away.”

Witt knows what she is talking about. Last Sunday she impressed the audience at the gala of the German Skating Union (DEU) in Frankfurt/Main which was watched by almost three million viewers - despite the simultaneous ski jumping broadcast from Titisee-Neustadt. "Katarina is simply unique on the ice," says DEU President Reinhard Mirmseker (52). He is also one of the most experienced judges in the world and the quadruple premiere does not trigger any euphoria in him: "If I could, I would stop the development. Even with the triples, most women already jump to the limit. I often get annoyed about the series of falls at international championships - and this is where the world’s elite is present.”

Mirmseker, who is the head of entertainment at the regional broadcasting station MDR, knows the laws of the market. He therefore dreads the new development: "Many female skaters will now practice quadruples, although they will never master them. Practicing them, the girls lose the time they need for learning a proper choreography for their programs.”

Even the men already reach their limits when trying quadruple jumps. This is also confirmed by the studies of the biomechanics expert Dr. Karin Knoll from the Institute for Training Science (IAT) in Leipzig: "We have carried out exact measurements. For completing four rotations, a skater must be in the air for at least 0.70 seconds.”

Among all top skaters, the Australian Liu has currently the longest time in the air, exactly 0.78 seconds. So, in theory, even a quadruple Axel would be possible. The hardest of all jumps is characterized by a forward take-off and a backward landing, so it always has an extra semi-rotation.

"The Salchow is an exception among the quadruples", says Knoll, "Evgeni Plushenko managed a quadruple Salchow in Gelsenkirchen, although he was in the air for only 0.66 seconds." The reason: The Salchow is actually jumped backwards on the left, but recently jumpers (skaters) use to pre-rotate on the ice and lift off in forward direction. Knoll assumes: "That's how the Japanese skater did it. She achieved an enormous angular momentum as a result." Despite being a scientist Knoll remarks: "The jumpers (skaters) use to run over ice today, jump and run again. In Kati Witt’s free programs the jumps used to be just the icing on the cake.”

22 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

My family has discussed passionately what conclusions Yuzu will draw from the recent decisions. It could be another challenge for him to "give lessons in what figure skating really is", as somebody already commented his performances, despite these new rules. At least he can be sure that people all over the world (and after Beijing even more) are aware what scores he would deserve ...

While my daughter joined me watching parts of the ISU Congress, her dad did some research and found an old article in "Die Welt". It's astonishing that this article was published in December 2002 but the content sounds very familiar. So people have been fighting the current development for 20 years - in vain.

https://www.welt.de/print-welt/article307428/Der-Applaus-und-die-Zweifel-von-Katarina-Witt.html

Hope the link works (sorry, this is my first time linking an article). Not sure if there is an official English version - and sorry in case this has been posted here before (maybe years ago). So here is my translation. I may not have used the correct terminology in the part where the technical aspects of jumps are described. Maybe @Henni147 or @Annicould check and make necessary corrections ...

Hide contents

The applause and the doubts of Katarina Witt

Published on 20.12.2002

Miki Ando (14) is the first woman to do a quadruple jump. But Japan's new figure skating talent does not earn admiration only.

By Markus Burkhardt

Figure skating appears to be at the threshold to a new era. The Japanese Miki Ando (14) was the first woman to land a quadruple Salchow on Sunday in The Hague. The world premiere was not a big surprise, since Ando's teammates Yoshie Onda and Fumie Suguri had attempted the jump earlier this year but stumbled on landing.

The figure skating world politely applauded Ando. Also Katarina Witt, two-time Olympic champion, declared: “I take my hat off to the courage of the girl. Landing a quadruple jump is an enormous athletic achievement.” However, Witt has doubts as to whether adding ever more difficult jumps to free programs is good for figure skating: “Figure skating, that’s not just the jumps. They are important for the technical score but our sport also has something to do with art - which must not be lost, otherwise the spectators will stay away.”

Witt knows what she is talking about. Last Sunday she impressed the audience at the gala of the German Skating Union (DEU) in Frankfurt/Main which was watched by almost three million viewers - despite the simultaneous ski jumping broadcast from Titisee-Neustadt. "Katarina is simply unique on the ice," says DEU President Reinhard Mirmseker (52). He is also one of the most experienced judges in the world and the quadruple premiere does not trigger any euphoria in him: "If I could, I would stop the development. Even with the triples, most women already jump to the limit. I often get annoyed about the series of falls at international championships - and this is where the world’s elite is present.”

Mirmseker, who is the head of entertainment at the regional broadcasting station MDR, knows the laws of the market. He therefore dreads the new development: "Many female skaters will now practice quadruples, although they will never master them. Practicing them, the girls lose the time they need for learning a proper choreography for their programs.”

Even the men already reach their limits when trying quadruple jumps. This is also confirmed by the studies of the biomechanics expert Dr. Karin Knoll from the Institute for Training Science (IAT) in Leipzig: "We have carried out exact measurements. For completing four rotations, a skater must be in the air for at least 0.70 seconds.”

Among all top skaters, the Australian Liu has currently the longest time in the air, exactly 0.78 seconds. So, in theory, even a quadruple Axel would be possible. The hardest of all jumps is characterized by a forward take-off and a backward landing, so it always has an extra semi-rotation.

"The Salchow is an exception among the quadruples", says Knoll, "Evgeni Plushenko managed a quadruple Salchow in Gelsenkirchen, although he was in the air for only 0.66 seconds." The reason: The Salchow is actually jumped backwards on the left, but recently jumpers (skaters) use to pre-rotate on the ice and lift off in forward direction. Knoll assumes: "That's how the Japanese skater did it. She achieved an enormous angular momentum as a result." Despite being a scientist Knoll remarks: "The jumpers (skaters) use to run over ice today, jump and run again. In Kati Witt’s free programs the jumps used to be just the icing on the cake.”

Thank you for the translation. 

Aaahhh, Katerina Witt, beautiful, legendary Ice Queen with her gorgeous mature, expressive performances

There are many concerns about quad jumps, for instance the programme deficiencies which occur due to long run ups for jumps and lack of time for artistry and skating skills. I have real concerns about youngsters spending hours and hours on repetitive jump training and the strain on the developing musculoskeletal system. Logically this cannot be a good thing and must surely contribute to skaters having to retire at young ages, sometimes whilst still in teens. So sad for so many reasons

5 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

By the way @TokyoDream, you know, there is a separate FaOI thread. :hihi: Just in case you miss @caramelicht who has already found the Kobe-thread :smartass:, and because General Yuzuru Chat will be more quiet during those days.

can't wait for contributing to post intelligent talk :hachimaki_angryparty_:

5 hours ago, LaCarmi said:

Congratulation!! 

You know, at some point I did wonder whether the "bad" treatment Yuzu got by the judges was because of the Pooh-rain on their heads...

Happy too see new Yuzu's crumbs and happy too see that Tour B's performance won't be a violin version of Rondo!!! As much as I love Roncappu I wouldn't like to see a violin version in a ice show. Now I wonder what music he chose... Friday is too far away! Will we have news before that day with something about the new program? Of course not! heeheeheee

Oh gosh..what did I miss?  Yuzu is not doing Rondo for the second part of the tour? Where did you see this?