General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

It's good to see that I'm not the only one superstitious here in that regard. (Even if the reason might be different. ^^; ) For me, saying "Olympics" is fine, but I'll probably avoid the word that has 4 letters and o as single vowel until it's over, at least in connection with him.

Oh gosh me too :headdesk:

I'm avoiding that 4-letter-word too...:animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01::0006:

7 minutes ago, katonice said:

Can I ask why?

So I can start avoiding the word too...

I just don't want to jinx it thats all.. saying it too much could have an opposite effect.  for me at least:rofl:

This season I'm only saying 'may his wishes come true' 'and healthy' 'soar' 'beyond ideal'.. you know... other words to replace that word :kitty:

But this is just what I believe.. lol :10636614:

41 minutes ago, katonice said:

Can I ask why?

So I can start avoiding the word too...

In Japan, there is a superstition that if you mention something positive before it happens, spirits or demigods might become aware and maybe jealous and screw it up somehow.

For example, in the days before New Year, you never say "Happy New Year" - "あけましておめでとうございます" in Japanese, "congratulations on it having opened/started" - but use a more indirect "I hope (your) coming year will be good" - "よいお年を" - and in general not congratulate people on anything before it actually happens.

Rationally, like most people, I don't believe this to be true, but on things I care about, I tend to err on the side of caution... ^^;

I mean, Seimei Yuzu might be quite able to deal with a mischievous or actually angry Inari-sama, but he might not have the time... ;)

16 минут назад, 五十嵐 美幸 сказал:

In Japan, there is a superstition that if you mention something positive before it happens, spirits or demigods might become aware and maybe jealous and screw it up somehow.

I think it's not only in Japan)) If I really want smth. to happen (and it can happen) I also try not to gush over it too much sometimes, don't try to push my luck :68556365:

This superstition talk reminds me of how I refused to vote for Yuzu on that Goldenskate poll before Worlds because I was afraid to jinx it, so I voted for Boyang. With that men's field, I kind of wanted to encourage him (he was the less voted one in the poll), and apparently it helped him to the Bronze! :biggrin:

14 minutes ago, xeyra said:

This superstition talk reminds me of how I refused to vote for Yuzu on that Goldenskate poll before Worlds because I was afraid to jinx it, so I voted for Boyang. With that men's field, I kind of wanted to encourage him (he was the less voted one in the poll), and apparently it helped him to the Bronze! :biggrin:

I didn't vote for Yuzu or anyone else because I was also afraid to jinx it.

Usually I am cautious about things like this, even if I know that it has zero influence on what will actually happen...

But I haven't been so thoughtful in the past. I made a bet of 2€ on his victory in Sochi, something I have never done before or after it. I still don't know why it happened, but I felt an urge to do it :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I didn't vote for Yuzu or anyone else because I was also afraid to jinx it.

Usually I am cautious about things like this, even if I know that it has zero influence on what will actually happen...

But I haven't been so thoughtful in the past. I made a bet of 2€ on his victory in Sochi, something I have never done before or after it. I still don't know why it happened, but I felt an urge to do it :facepalm:

It was only 2€. If you'd bet like 100€, the Universe might have decided to screw you up, but with so small a sum They gave you (and Yuzu) a pass.

3 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Oh my, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fear of speaking something I really want out loud when it hasn't happened yet. Let us all silently wish in our hearts ;;  

My strategy of not jinxing anything I want to happen is:

"Whatever will happen, I will be happy either way; it will be an occasion of growth, everything is going to be okay, it's even better if things go unexpected, etc. etc."

But still, this talk didn't stop me from being extra-depressed after Yuzu's SP in Helsinki this year. Luckily, Yuzu managed to transform all the fear into something pure and beautiful.

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

So the consensus is... NO VOTES OVER HERE!!!

Unless it's costume related. Costumes are relatively safe, right? I mean, we won't jinx a second boobskirt into being, right!?