General Yuzuru Chat

To be honest I used to think I was biased because I am a fan of Yuzu.

But after seeing more performances for this year, I am like come on who can top him.

Credit to Charlie and Kurt for making me feel vindicated.

Can we imagine men's figure skating without Yuzu?  Well I do, getting tickets would be easier. :darklordyuzu:

Because what is there left fighting for? :8:

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

I am sorry guys, I need a little bit of ranting.

Reveal hidden contents

So I've watched TSL recap  of NHK. I don't particularly like their opinions but it is at least interesting.

But I don't get why is everyone so amazed with Shoma. I mean, I like his skating and he is surely a good guy but come on! When people talk about elements and their quality, with Yuzu they are like "yeah, it is Yuzuru Hanyu", but with Shoma "this was amazing, he did this and that, and this movement was..." come on! Yuzu deserves your excitement too! I know he makes his elements look easy but they are NOT. 

I know Shoma has charisma and all that but he is covering his mistakes with this charisma and it is apparently working well for him. Everyone adores his covered elements.

I don't want to dislike Shoma, people. Please, don't do this.

Don't let T*L ruin your mood this week. What I think of T*L is this...

Spoiler

w4yNp4j.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

To be honest I used to think I was biased because I am a fan of Yuzu.

But after seeing more performances for this year, I am like come on who can top him.

Credit to Charlie and Kurt for making me feel vindicated.

Can we imagine men's figure skating without Yuzu?  Well I do, getting tickets would be easier. :darklordyuzu:

Because what is there left fighting for? :8:

The man who changed the sport we’re talking about afterall

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

welp I don't understand it either, but i guess everyone is entitled to what they like. The commentator Chris (on BESP) LOVES Shoma, so much so that it's clearly not just because Shoma trains at his rink ... and what I did realize when watching NHK was that Shoma had some really smooth crossovers. Of course there were a lot of them but tbh Boyang and Nathan could really learn from him there haha :P

Shoma's edge work is excellent. It's smooth and his knees are soft and you can actually see what he's doing during his stsq. 

But then... that just annoys me extra because he obviously could do a lot more than crossovers between elements. Of course there's no point doing more and wasting energy because it's not like he'll get anything more for doing more, he's already getting just about everything, so... :sigh: It makes sense that his team designs his programmes to get the most out of them according to what judges have already shown they will reward. It's still frustrating. 

Maybe Yuzu just raised the bar too high. 

25 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Shoma's edge work is excellent. It's smooth and his knees are soft and you can actually see what he's doing during his stsq. 

But then... that just annoys me extra because he obviously could do a lot more than crossovers between elements. Of course there's no point doing more and wasting energy because it's not like he'll get anything more for doing more, he's already getting just about everything, so... :sigh: It makes sense that his team designs his programmes to get the most out of them according to what judges have already shown they will reward. It's still frustrating. 

Yeah, he raised the bar so high that judges can't even see his mark up there. :banginghead:

46 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

This is exactly what I hate about his team. I mean...the guy can be more than that but they refuse to be more. It's frustrating!!!
With such a skating skill they could give him more transitions during program. But noooo...because judges already reward him highly with literally crossovers all throughout the program, they didn't add anything more into it. Ughhhh...I wouldn't be so pissed when Shoma gets more GOE than Yuzu if he doesn't only do crossovers in between his programs.

Oh, and his floop that never gets called also really annoyed me. I know changing jump technique is difficult, but come on...Zhenya manage to improve her flutz so why can't Shoma? Or should I not compare him to Zhenya either?

15 minutes ago, enno0287 said:

This is exactly what I hate about his team. I mean...the guy can be more than that but they refuse to be more. It's frustrating!!!
With such a skating skill they could give him more transitions during program. But noooo...because judges already reward him highly with literally crossovers all throughout the program, they didn't add anything more into it. Ughhhh...I wouldn't be so pissed when Shoma gets more GOE than Yuzu if he doesn't only do crossovers in between his programs.

Oh, and his floop that never gets called also really annoyed me. I know changing jump technique is difficult, but come on...Zhenya manage to improve her flutz so why can't Shoma? Or should I not compare him to Zhenya either?

Well, I don't connect the GOE with the crossovers, but if you just saw the TR score, you'd expect a lot more. There's a lot about Shoma's skating to enjoy, he is fast and smooth and precise with his blades and his 3A is quite lovely. If the judging could reflect what we see, we would probably end up seeing more, he'd become better, and the whole process of watching figure skating wouldn't be so infuriating. Goes for a lot of people.

Even Yuzu's Origin tbh. Knowing from media day footage what a lot of it was supposed to be, I would've given him lower TR for not executing his transitions well enough, too. :P  (ETA: By that I mean I would hold GPF Seimei and Helsinki H&L as the gold standard for 10s in components. Everybody, including Yuzu, should get judged to that standard according to their performance on the day.) 

4 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

I am sorry guys, I need a little bit of ranting.

Hide contents

So I've watched TSL recap  of NHK. I don't particularly like their opinions but it is at least interesting.

But I don't get why is everyone so amazed with Shoma. I mean, I like his skating and he is surely a good guy but come on! When people talk about elements and their quality, with Yuzu they are like "yeah, it is Yuzuru Hanyu", but with Shoma "this was amazing, he did this and that, and this movement was..." come on! Yuzu deserves your excitement too! I know he makes his elements look easy but they are NOT. 

I know Shoma has charisma and all that but he is covering his mistakes with this charisma and it is apparently working well for him. Everyone adores his covered elements.

I don't want to dislike Shoma, people. Please, don't do this.

3 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Don't let T*L ruin your mood this week. What I think of T*L is this...

Reveal hidden contents

w4yNp4j.jpg

What I don't like about them is they are always using Yuzu as clickbait then just shade him in their broadcasts or "whatever". I really hated it when I was new to FS and didn't know them and had to listen to them because I didn't know better. I get it that not everybody loves Yuzu, but don't use him. And I agree wholeheartedly with @BWOZWaltz 

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

It's not just that Yuzu raised the bar so high, for him excellence is its on reward. Yuzu's ethics and principles won't let him coast on anything, not even his 2 OGM - that's why a lot of people thank him for pushing the sport higher and better. I get teary-eyed when commentators say thank you to him for not r***....., some like Kurt even say they are honored to watch him skate. 

7 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Well, I don't connect the GOE with the crossovers, but if you just saw the TR score, you'd expect a lot more. There's a lot about Shoma's skating to enjoy, he is fast and smooth and precise with his blades and his 3A is quite lovely. If the judging could reflect what we see, we would probably end up seeing more, he'd become better, and the whole process of watching figure skating wouldn't be so infuriating. Goes for a lot of people.

Even Yuzu's Origin tbh. Knowing from media day footage what a lot of it was supposed to be, I would've given him lower TR for not executing his transitions well enough, too. :P  (ETA: By that I mean I would hold GPF Seimei and Helsinki H&L as the gold standard for 10s in components. Everybody, including Yuzu, should get judged to that standard according to their performance on the day.) 

I know what you mean and I do enjoy Shoma's skating. His spins and edge work are one of my favorite amongst mens single.

About the transition score, I think even with what Yuzu performed in Helsinki's Origin, the transition there was still better than Shoma.

But yeah...judges are never consistent with their scoring. I expect that if they score Yuzu lower, then they should score Shoma even lower than that.

15 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

While I agree what we see is mostly because of judging, I don't think it's fair to blame it just on judging. Or even just on Shoma's team. It's entirely possible for the athlete himself - or herself - to seek to improve and become better, even if the judges give candy. Admittedly, not everyone is Yuzu, but imagine how incredible the sport would be if more skaters were like him, in wanting to improve for the sake of improving and for the sake of becoming the best version of themselves that they can be. Even if judges run out of points to give them as reward (though maybe then they'd realize how wrong it is to reward skaters too early and would prevent it from happening again; though that's probably a naive hope :P ).

4 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

While I agree what we see is mostly because of judging, I don't think it's fair to blame it just on judging. Or even just on Shoma's team. It's entirely possible for the athlete himself - or herself - to seek to improve and become better, even if the judges give candy. Admittedly, not everyone is Yuzu, but imagine how incredible the sport would be if more skaters were like him, in wanting to improve for the sake of improving and for the sake of becoming the best version of themselves that they can be. Even if judges run out of points to give them as reward (though maybe then they'd realize how wrong it is to reward skaters too early and would prevent it from happening again; though that's probably a naive hope :P ).

I would very much like that. More skaters pushing the boundaries. And judges responding accordingly. Then FS would be truly perfect.