General Yuzuru Chat

19 hours ago, puterililin said:

Hello everyone. I joined this awesome planet yesterday. Want to introduce myself today.  I'm usually a four-year skating fan and only watches them during the Olympic Games (that's the only time when Malaysia will ever air figure skating on TV). I was interested in Yuzu during the sochi games but fell in love with him after Helsinki World Championship (after stumbling on his YouTube video) . However I didn't know there was an entire planet dedicated to Yuzu and am so thrilled to find you guys here. I'm from Malaysia so fangirling is a bit difficult here as its not a well known sport. I started to truly invest and truly fell in love with figure skating after I watched our home boy Julian Yee and Michael Christian Martinez live at the SEA Games that Malaysia hosted last year. It's so magical when you see figure skating live.  So here I am folks.  Please be gentle with this newbie.  :winky:

I know this is off-topic for this thread, but since you are in Malaysia, have you seen this Olympic Channel video on Julian Yee?

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/far-from-home/core-branded-far-from-home/#

10 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

Can someone tell me concisely or point me in the direction of something as to why 2015 was such a tough year? I get bits and pieces but I feel like I’m missing the whole picture.

(Am I being too demanding? If so I’ll just :slinkaway:)

:thanks:

Do you mean the 2014-2015 season or the 2015 calendar year?

3 hours ago, skateIT said:

Question about ordering CiONTU merch- I'm looking at using white rabbit express. I'm moving on may 15th, should I put the mailing address as my new address? Or just have it sent to my parents to be safe. 

Merchandise will start shipping in June it should be fine. :)

4 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

I believe the skate season? He had a trying time?

Oh yes, where to begin. Wikipedia covers it pretty well to be honest. He was injured pretty much the whole season. (I think GPF 14 might have been his only injury free comp?) Had to drop out of Finlandia due to back injury, so COC was his first comp as reigning Olympic and World champion. He had a devastating collision with Han Yan in the 6 min warm up for the free. Somewhat controversially, he skated anyway, fell 5 times, and finished second. Look up videos on youtube if you want to be horrified. He couldn't walk for a while after that, was in a wheelchair the next day, etc. So barely had any practice for NHK, two weeks later. NHK went badly since he wasn't recovered from COC injuries. He finished 4th and scraped by to the finals by .15. GPF was good I guess? Set a bunch of records and won. Later that month (Dec 14) he won Japanese Nationals. It was later revealed that he had an abdominal abcess that had burst at the time (infected urahcal cyst IIRC). After nationals he immediately had surgery and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. Then when he started training again in Japan, sprained his ankle and was out for 2 weeks. Went to 2015 Worlds having not seen Brian since December I think? and got second.

Addendum- -Re the cyst and surgery, yuzusorbet.tumblr has the translated part of his autobiography that talks about it, it was really awful.

-Also, to see more about his feelings on COC incident, he discussed it a lot on Kenji's room interview in 2015. The eng. subbed interview can be found int he media requests thread on PH. 

-Also, I read through the GS thread for that season and besides all the injuries, he seemed to rarely be in Toronto due to said injuries, so lost training time there. Also, in the summer of 2014 everyone seemed shocked by the number of shows he did in Japan, and he hasn't done that many any summer since. 

I wasn't a fan at the time, but I've read a lot since! It was a really rough season for him. Some very good results, but a lot of serious hardships too.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, crazykuroneko said:

this is major. my friend gave me photos of the book. Yes, a book, not magazine, because it has hardcover and high quality paper that it's more like a textbook than anything. I don't know if the price is higher than usual because it's obviously a collector's item

Is it this one? http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2197291

Or is it a softcover one?

39 minutes ago, skateIT said:

Oh yes, where to begin. Wikipedia covers it pretty well to be honest. He was injured pretty much the whole season. (I think GPF 14 might have been his only injury free comp?) Had to drop out of Finlandia due to back injury, so COC was his first comp as reigning Olympic and World champion. He had a devastating collision with Han Yan in the 6 min warm up for the free. Somewhat controversially, he skated anyway, fell 5 times, and finished second. Look up videos on youtube if you want to be horrified. He couldn't walk for a while after that, was in a wheelchair the next day, etc. So barely had any practice for NHK, two weeks later. NHK went badly since he wasn't recovered from COC injuries. He finished 4th and scraped by to the finals by .15. GPF was good I guess? Set a bunch of records and won. Later that month (Dec 14) he won Japanese Nationals. It was later revealed that he had an abdominal abcess that had burst at the time (infected urahcal cyst IIRC). After nationals he immediately had surgery and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. Then when he started training again in Japan, sprained his ankle and was out for 2 weeks. Went to 2015 Worlds having not seen Brian since December I think? and got second.

Addendum- -Re the cyst and surgery, yuzusorbet.tumblr has the translated part of his autobiography that talks about it, it was really awful.

-Also, to see more about his feelings on COC incident, he discussed it a lot on Kenji's room interview in 2015. The eng. subbed interview can be found int he media requests thread on PH. 

-Also, I read through the GS thread for that season and besides all the injuries, he seemed to rarely be in Toronto due to said injuries, so lost training time there. Also, in the summer of 2014 everyone seemed shocked by the number of shows he did in Japan, and he hasn't done that many any summer since. 

I wasn't a fan at the time, but I've read a lot since! It was a really rough season for him. Some very good results, but a lot of serious hardships too.

I would add that the stomach pains had already started around GPF. If I remember correctly, he skated the FS in pain already and it got a lot worse on the plane trip home as the thing swelled. Then it burst right after getting home and there were talks about him withdrawing from Nationals. But he's Yuzu, so, of course, competing with an infected open wound is better than not competing... He still won with a big margin (and actually a shockingly good performance, all things considered - just one fall, if I remember correctly, plus the spin he couldn't hold the position in - although one can easily see he was not well.) He was hospitalized right after, had surgery, but the recovery took longer than planned due to (alcohol) allergies and bad reactions to the medicine (I think the antibiotics he was given?). Then, yes, when he finally got back to training, he sprained his ankle, and in the end basically only had about one week of practice prior to Worlds, all done by himself. The only practices with Brian were the one official practices in Shanghai.

As for the ice shows, I think he did the most then, aside from after earthquake. There were a lot! In a way I'm kind of happy he had rehab this Summer or else he might have done it again...

And I wasn't a fan then, either, but I admit things like this kind of fascinate me, because it's amazing how someone can overcome SO MUCH! (On the other hand, I think it also shows how far above everyone else Yuzu - and Javi -  were then, because if the field had been more competitive like it was last season or even the one before, I'm not sure Yuzu would have managed as good results - even if his strength would still be as impressive - in the same circumstances.)

All the details about 2014-15 season :13877886:

I like to torture myself from time to time and rewatch CoC (But I could rarely rewatch the whole FS) when I'm feeling really down or needing comfort or wanting to wrap him up in cotton wool. Although it pains me greatly to see it, but it was somehow one of the moments that made me fall really deep for him. "Woah, look at this man. So slim, and all these wounds, but look at him." It became clearest to me that this guy whose appearance were just of a cute, pretty boy is actually a Man, an immensely strong one too.

Everytime I watch it I feel so much appreciation and love for him :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

Sorry for my ramble it's been an emotional week, have a cute Yuzu :peekapooh:

large.jpg

Meme lord:

B1JsUC_CAAAH91_.jpg

Source unknow, pls PM if you have the source