General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

To end this longish post:

remember, at Autumn Classic Brian's pre-competition talk to the press was about first pancake, and first pancake was.

Now he says he is not worried and all of this will raise Yuzu to another level...

Some of the media play on Yuzu did go extreme. I feel like if yuzu's situation was different (no injury, did GPF, compete TE) Brian would've prepared a different answer.. 'the basic ones' to lower/calm the media expectations for yuzu.

But with media that to some extent actually brushing yuzu completely off, I felt that Brian really wanted knock some senses to them. He's probably thinking 'yeah yuzu got injuries but it's not to the extent that you all can just dismiss him'.

Brian probably talked to Yuzu about wanting to give info about the training and layout and yuzu agreed because having yuzu as the dark horse is beneficial for him. And I trust Brian's words, there was no hesitation in his answers. It really makes me wonder what they saw at TCC, not just yuzu but all their athletes. Brian oozes confidence :laughing:

Which again, I really like how TCC team planned their strategy 

RE: Yuzu with Abe-sensei. They actually did stamina training (you can watch it in his Future of Tohoku documentary) but you can see that it's very hard to train in a Public rink (probably another reason why Nanami-sensei also encouraged him to train abroad after he won bronze at Worlds'12).

RE: Music choices... I think as a child, while he had a strong sense of self already (as per Tsuzuki-sensei), we mustn't forget he was still a child  (despite being a very smart one). He had music he liked (Ultraman!) and of course it's nice to indulge your student with music they connect to but at the same time he hasn't been exposed to a lot of types of music yet (e.g. He prolly never heard of jazz but was immediately attracted to Sing Sing Sing).

There was a TSL interview with Shae-lynn that I decided to watch because my love for Shae-lynn overcame my annoyance for TSL... it was during the '14-'15 season and they asked her why he chose Phantom. She emphasised that that it was HIS decision and that he really felt strongly about it . Also, that it was a music that he chose earlier but the coaching team was able to stir him away from it but after winning Sochi he brought it up again and they finally agreed to it. Little tidbit: Besides the fact that he loves the music and it's his dream to skate to Phantom, another reason why he wanted to skate to it was because he wanted to show 'weight' in his skating. Shae-lynn described Yuzu's skating as light and like a feather and Phantom is a 'heavy' music and he wanted to be able to convey that.