General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, the50person said:

OH PREACH

Nakamaru! lol (For anyone not familiar, it's a bit of a running gag for him. People always get his name wrong and he has to point it out lol)

But I agree, I liked what he said.

As for everyone worrying about layouts, I do, too, but, while perhaps naive and a consequence of my lack of experience with figure skating, I can't shake off the idea that Yuzu's leaving himself room to improvise, depending on his things go. What the competition does. How his SP goes. How the first half of his own program goes. I also can't stop thinking about the last jump being usually a 3Lz, but kind of optional. He'll probably YOLO a 3A more often than not, if necessary. But what if at some point, he's behind after the SP, has done a picture perfect FS, but feels he doesn't have enough points to get first, and he feels good and not very tired... he can't YOLO 3A. But he could try to make the 3Lz a 4Lz. That would be BV increase and if he doesn't fall, it'd beat a 3Lz. If he pops, it'd still be pretty much the same as doing a 3Lz. So no need to go for broke. Doing it regularly, would probably be risky. But maybe that 3Lz is more of an intended popped 4Lz, for times when it'd seem worth it? (Actually, now I wonder how a fallen 4Lz compares to a good 3Lz. Does he get +3 GOEs on 3Lz?)

Four quads in the second half would be crazy, though... Especially for the guy who used to virtually pass out after his FS a few years ago... So it could be just wishful thinking on my part.

15 minutes ago, riminin said:

Good to know that to say "recycle a program" doesn't have any negativity at all in English. For Japanese "risaikuru" almost always evoke the concrete image of „waste“. So many FS fans (not only Yuzu fans) are upset about the article (Nikkei) where the reporter went out of her way to use this word in connection with FS program, which is unusual. I wonder if it’s likely that Orser himself used that word and she picked it up. Would he do that?

Thank you very much for explaining. Now it all makes a lot more sense. :snpeace:

13 minutes ago, riminin said:

Good to know that to say "recycle a program" doesn't have any negativity at all in English. For Japanese "risaikuru" almost always evoke the concrete image of „waste“. So many FS fans (not only Yuzu fans) are upset about the article (Nikkei) where the reporter went out of her way to use this word in connection with FS program, which is unusual. I wonder if it’s likely that Orser himself used that word and she picked it up. Would he do that?

Ah I see! I learnt smth new! As a linguistic student it is interesting to me. Nvr knew abt the connotations in Japanese.

Re: Orser, not sure. Too little info.

I do admit she could have worded it more carefully, like perhaps (not sure if Japanese has any direct translation) re-use, reinvented, relaunched, or 'Hanyu returns as Seimei' or smth like that. But since I'm not the author, I don't know what were her thoughts while writing and I shall not presume.

23 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

(Actually, now I wonder how a fallen 4Lz compares to a good 3Lz. Does he get +3 GOEs on 3Lz?)

I guess a 4Lz would have -3GOE, and his 3Lz usually doesn't get more than +2 GOE (please correct this if I'm wrong). But a fall in a clean program would cost him PCS, because that's the way PCS go these days. 

If he yolos out a 4Lz at the end of the FS and nails it, that would be... alien. Also very much like him. He didn't train 4Lz at the end of Hope and Legacy for fun, did he?

34 минуты назад, KatjaThera сказал:

(Actually, now I wonder how a fallen 4Lz compares to a good 3Lz. Does he get +3 GOEs on 3Lz?)

Yuzu got 8.1 points for his 3Lz in Worlds and fully rotated fallen 4Lz will be 9 points. But it seems like you need a lot of strength to land it so now I belive that 4Lz as last jumping pass is possible only in anime :laughing:

23 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I guess a 4Lz would have -3GOE, and his 3Lz usually doesn't get more than +2 GOE (please correct this if I'm wrong). But a fall in a clean program would cost him PCS, because that's the way PCS go these days. 

If he yolos out a 4Lz at the end of the FS and nails it, that would be... alien. Also very much like him. He didn't train 4Lz at the end of Hope and Legacy for fun, did he?

I've read about 4Lz at the end of H&L before, but I don't remember the source... do we know if it was successful?

I guess training that could also be stamina training. But it is interesting in this context.  PCS damage would be an issue, even with the extra point, I guess...

40 minutes ago, the50person said:

Ah I see! I learnt smth new! As a linguistic student it is interesting to me. Nvr knew abt the connotations in Japanese.

Re: Orser, not sure. Too little info.

I do admit she could have worded it more carefully, like perhaps (not sure if Japanese has any direct translation) re-use, reinvented, relaunched, or 'Hanyu returns as Seimei' or smth like that. But since I'm not the author, I don't know what were her thoughts while writing and I shall not presume.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it's very interesting, isn't it? About the writer's thoughts...well, many think that she wouldn't have used the word for her fave skaters :laughing: As you say, there are other standard expressions used in such context and other media all used one or the other. Anyway re. Orser I just wondered more generally if a coach would use the word "recycle" when he talk to the press about the decision to repeat a program for his student. Sorry for not being clear.

32 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I've read about 4Lz at the end of H&L before, but I don't remember the source... do we know if it was successful?

The source, of course, is our second lord Max Ambesi... who didn't speak about him landing it every time, but... Max is also the one who said at Worlds 2017 that "if they (the competition) won't make him think too much about it... he will keep 4Lz for the season (after the Olympics)."

Meaning, it would be unwise for Yuzuru not to add the 4Lz. Although, if Max is saying this, it's because he knows the percentage rate of the 4Lz is high enough for Yuzu to add it. 

The Italians FS experts and veterans are quite sure about Yuzuru adding the 4Lz this season.