General Yuzuru Chat

Just a random thought . I'm so happy to be a fan of an outstanding  athlete who happens to be a rare case of a beautiful mind.  His intelligence ,self awareness , emotional knowledge, ability to plan and follow the  path is unparallelled.  He studies things  and then applies  them towards his goals.   I have a history of following various athletes, but I  have never been  that  fascinated by  a personal side of any if them.  

Hace 17 horas, MrPudding said:

seems like costume prediction artwork is starting 

I am looking forward to it!

Hace 13 horas, kiches said:

Agreed, although it's an interesting argument.

If you look at other forms of art such as dance or music, , I don't think re-doing or refining a performance is necessarily seen as being less artistic. It may not be seen as original anymore, but I think there's a value in refining and improving on something existing that's different from trying to do something completely new or avant garde. Of course, this is a sport and we're not scoring on artistry and originality, so maybe it's all moot.

I haven't seen enough of the new Seimei to make a judgement, but with Chopin at FaoI I definitely felt a difference in the feel of his performance to what it was in the 2015/2016 season. It seemed to have more gravitas than it did before.

Completely agree with the bolded part. People who play classical music repeat the same pieces again and again and nobody questions it.  

hace 41 minutos , kaeryth said:

Hmmmm..... How about that 4T-high kick? :rofl:

I am in love with it but can't imagine it in Seimei :slinkaway:

hace 4 minutos , xeyra said:

As much as I love that 4T+high kick, I think twizzles would fit the FS theme better. :biggrin:

yes, please! :bow:

9 часов назад, liv сказал:

I realize he sees the benefits of skating clean a la medvedeva, buT her competitors arent doing harder jumps than she is....He is againstt people with harder jumps. I have faith in seimei and yuzu, but others are improving their skating quickly.REmember how yuzu quickly improved with jeffs choreography? Nathan is now with shae, you can bet his sp will be amazing. Having 4lz just in case is the smart thing.

Medvedeva doesn't do harder jumps then others (she hasn't 3A or smth. like this), but she backloads them as much as she can and is crazy consistent. In man's field it's much harder to be consistent with all those quads but competition is very tight rn and even one mistake can throw you off the podium. That's why having 4Lz is good but if it's not stable enough it's very risky. So we will see how it'll go.

18 minutes ago, Yuzuextra said:

But shae and nathan combo sounds kinda intimidating :O

They haven't worked together before have they??

Nope! Closest rival she's worked for that I know of was Daisuke - she did his Pagliacci program.

I only really took notice of her because of what she's done for Yuzu but I hadn't taken her for someone who would excell at SP, though there's zero basis for that assumption and she's probably wonderful and terrific and I shall be conducting more research right away. 

But here is what she did for (evidently super anime nerd) Kevin Reynolds for his 2015-16 SP. This is one of my favourite tunes ever but I don't like the program at all. Obviously Kevin is a very different skater with about 10 years on Nathan but it's an example of a choreographer needing the right skater as much as a skater needs the right chreographer. So wait until you see Nathan's SP before you freak out. :)

ETA Boy, she's worked with Kevin a lot. And he's done a lot of Japanese music.

5 часов назад, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ сказал:

Hopefully those of you who are harboring some disappointment or resentment will fully come around before he actually goes out there and proves your anger/disappointment unjustified. Because I think if Hanyu had gone with new programs, even if the programs are new and the tech gets an upgrade, essentially, we'll be seeing the same process all over again. The guy will struggle in the early season and by the second half, it's a gamble on whether he nails it or not. As an audience, my reaction would be:

Early season: ....man I wish I knew how to fall like that.

Mid season: ...okay, he's getting there...hopefully...maybe...

Late season: Let him pull through please let him deliver oh please oh please oh please *shushes heart whining about over-stimulation*

Well, that's true, that's why I said I understand his reasons about repeating programmes with my head it's just my heart wanted smth. new cuz he's just too good in what he does :smile: But the boy really wants that gold so I hope his efforts will pay off when it counts.

5 часов назад, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ сказал:

At this point, I'm actually wondering why more people aren't already doing what Hanyu 's doing. Experiment and improve like hell during the mid-cycles, and then pick the best stuff from these mid-cycles to polish for delivery to the entire world in the O-season.  They don't even have to do it exactly like him (increase tech content), but only maintain their best efforts (meaning no downgrade, which most skaters until now seem to resort to doing). I really do think this would open more people's eyes to the appeal of figure skating rather than those who somehow managed to stumble upon it themselves. It would kick the doors wide open for people to flow in, rather than the trickle all this time.

You can't say that they aren't doing that. Shoma will also use his old FS, Javi skates basacially the same character under the different music every time (it's a pity he didn't experiment at least once between Olympics), can't say anything about Nathan I've seen him only one year.

Or maybe it's just Yuzu who needs more time to get into new programmes to be able to put all his heart into skating (or maybe it's just fan in me talking).

I was wondering why this thread exploded for almost 200 pages after only three days of my absence, and then I remembered...media day and Seimei...yikes, 5 quads...we're going to die, aren't we?

(The only thing I'm hoping for now is the new Ex, but then again, Yuzuru seems to have the most Exes from all the top Juniors xD)

8 時間前, Lunnaさんが言いました:

Well, that's true, that's why I said I understand his reasons about repeating programmes with my head it's just my heart wanted smth. new cuz he's just too good in what he does :smile: But the boy really wants that gold so I hope his efforts will pay off when it counts.

Yeah, and what I'm saying is that your heart needs to get with the program. He's incredible but as evidenced in past seasons, he doesn't just get there magically, he has to fight himself tooth and nail for it. And while I understand that's the beauty of it, are you seriously saying you'd rather see him do this again during the Oly season, instead of maybe witnessing him do something else to prove that he's capable of even more? Trust me, there is nothing for your heart to feel down about, and everything for it to feel excited over, but only if you allow yourself look at the big picture. Simply close your eyes and imagine it. Because you'd actually be getting more than what your heart thinks it wants from Hanyu.

8 時間前, Lunnaさんが言いました:

You can't say that they aren't doing that. Shoma will also use his old FS, Javi skates basacially the same character under the different music every time (it's a pity he didn't experiment at least once between Olympics), can't say anything about Nathan I've seen him only one year.

Or maybe it's just Yuzu who needs more time to get into new programmes to be able to put all his heart into skating (or maybe it's just fan in me talking).

Actually, yes, I can. I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make a bit there. I'm also not sure whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me when you mentioned Fernandez, and I'm not sure how that very last bit you said about Hanyu needing more time to get into his progs has anything to do with what I was trying to say so I'll just explain anyway.

When I said experiment and improve like crazy, I meant going beyond your comfort zone in order to expand it while, at the same time, striving towards perfection. Fernandez hasn't expanded his by a whole lot in the rather ample time he has had between the last Oly and this one, both in terms of theme and tech content. He's upped the difficulty in terms of layout but that's it.

Uno expands technically (artistically and expression-wise, he's still more of a one-trick pony the way Fernandez is, since he sticks to the same kinda theme as well) but doesn't seem to be overly concerned (yet) with correcting his weaknesses as evidenced by his eagerness to simply pile on the difficulty this season despite his existing issues. And because of this, as good a performer as he is in the one theme he's covered so far, his programs aren't one with his tech the way Hanyu's ones are with his. If judged the old-school way (re: pre-Hanyu), what he's doing is enough but you throw in Hanyu's standard, and you see how he (Uno) and everyone else, pale in comparison. I'm not talking about style, because that's subjective. I'm talking about delivery of a high quality (in terms of *everything*), cohesive program. Fernandez, stagnant as he is, is miles ahead of him here. Everything in his programs seems to gel well together, especially when he's having a good day. 

But well, it's really still too early to tell with Uno, since he only really exploded last season so he may surprise us yet after this, if his body holds out. But what I'm saying is, figure skating has been around a long time but the leap in progress has never been as large as it is from the last Olympics to this one. And the only constant factor in this very exciting cycle is Hanyu, beginning from his win in Sochi. And because he's been exploring themes, correcting weaknesses and polishing his strengths even while constantly upping his tech, he now has a program that is so vastly different from everyone else's, it's one of a kind, that he can revisit and that has already earned him high GOEs and PCS once before so he can be assured of getting them again if he delivers, which he now has a higher possibility of doing even with higher tech content because he used another season to explore beyond even its boundaries. Now he can simply concentrate on polishing this trusty one even further *and* upping tech content with room for mid-season development and contingency plans. Name me another skater who has half of all this, another skater who's trained his body and honed his mind to a point where he's now capable of some, if not all, of this. Most skaters only have one card to play. A couple of them maybe have two. Hanyu has about a half dozen, at least.

All these take incredible foresight, a brilliant mind and a vision beyond the self and beyond simply wanting to win. This is the real reason behind why it's been said that there are good skaters, there are great skaters and *then* there is Yuzuru Hanyu.

Other skaters skate, Hanyu's been playing friggin' shogi all this time. This has always been his method and I was wondering why hasn't anyone else done something like it, even on a lesser scale, before he came along?