General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Been watching old Yuzu videos lately and...I miss watching him compete 😔🤧 and there won't be a competitor like him ever again. You never know how good you had it until it's gone. 🥺😢

I haven't watched old videos in some time. I remember the excitement and anxiety I felt while watching Beijing live and I realize I have those exact feelings when I watch Yuzu's ice shows live as well. I wish I could've seen him compete more. To induce those feelings at first, while getting to know Yuzu, I didn't check the protocols, didn't know how he'd done in a program. The trick worked, haha.

Now, when watching old videos, I'm nostalgic for a time I didn't experience in real time *sigh*

15 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Been watching old Yuzu videos lately and...I miss watching him compete 😔🤧 and there won't be a competitor like him ever again. You never know how good you had it until it's gone. 🥺😢

Totally agree. I haven' t been able to watch his shows, and the clips I've seen , well, the skating isnt the same for me... the excitement, nerves, rising to the occasion... I've always loved competitive skating more than shows and while I haven't watched much skating at all this year, what I have watched is competitive. It is still what I enjoy most. Watching Junhwan, Yuma... I watch them now, but the feeling is nowhere near the same as the Yuzu years. 

I still love Yuzu, but my days of coming here every day are gone. 

4 hours ago, liv said:

Totally agree. I haven' t been able to watch his shows, and the clips I've seen , well, the skating isnt the same for me... the excitement, nerves, rising to the occasion... I've always loved competitive skating more than shows and while I haven't watched much skating at all this year, what I have watched is competitive. It is still what I enjoy most. Watching Junhwan, Yuma... I watch them now, but the feeling is nowhere near the same as the Yuzu years. 

It's funny how differently us humans can react. For me it's actually the opposite, I prefer the shows. They still give me heart attacks, but it's a more positive tension, if that makes sense. I never know what to expect, because there's no formula. I gave up on even trying to guess what will happen at this point :grin: I just know that the story somehow will always turn out to be amazing. I mean, I still jump like a scalded cat every time I see a landing won't quite work out, but then I can just go right back to enjoying the storytelling without worrying about points :happy:  

22 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Been watching old Yuzu videos lately and...I miss watching him compete ... and there won't be a competitor like him ever again. You never know how good you had it until it's gone.

18 hours ago, Yuzu_legend said:

. . .  I miss also the old days of competition but definitely not him competing the last years. It was so hard and infuriating (still is whenever thinking back at those times). 
I’m however now so grateful and beyond happy we are blessed to continue watching him skate and develop ... GOAT!

12 hours ago, LiaRy said:

I haven't watched old videos in some time. I remember the excitement and anxiety I felt while watching Beijing live and I realize I have those exact feelings when I watch Yuzu's ice shows live as well. I wish I could've seen him compete more.

. . . . .  Now, when watching old videos, I'm nostalgic for a time I didn't experience in real time *sigh*

6 hours ago, liv said:

. . . . .  I haven' t been able to watch his shows, and the clips I've seen , well, the skating isnt the same for me. . . . .  I've always loved competitive skating more than shows . . . . .

2 hours ago, Pushme-Pullyu said:

It's funny how differently us humans can react. For me it's actually the opposite, I prefer the shows. They still give me heart attacks, but it's a more positive tension . . . . .

Yes, it seems we feel many, sometimes different, emotions regarding this topic: competition versus show.

I confess that I am greedy and would want to have both  :girlsigh:

I love-love-love watching Yuzu's shows (alas only on-screen, I can't travel) - but I would equally love to still see him in the exciting atmosphere of competitions as well ... but ONLY IF the scoring and everything connected to it were FAIR and upright !!! Since that's sadly not the case, I'm sort of glad that he left that toxic environment.

And yes, we ARE blessed that we are given opportunities to continue watching him skate - the G.O.A.T, the "Lord of the Rinks", the "Emperor of the Ice"  :worship:

I look at it this way, all skaters do have to leave competition, few get as long a career and even fewer if any as illustrious as Yuzu's and most of them were before high quality livestreaming and videos were available worldwide. And now we have his shows, we all have his shows wherever we are.

We really are among the luckiest of skating fans, and not just because our skater gives us such past and present brilliance to enjoy. And for as long as he is willing to keep skating, we will get more and more.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

I sorta understand missing the thrill of seeing him compete, but I confess that seeing the last two years of it was rather hard. So I am happily watching him do shows and I watch the rest of FS with just an idle curiosity. 

2 hours ago, Fay said:

I sorta understand missing the thrill of seeing him compete, but I confess that seeing the last two years of it was rather hard. So I am happily watching him do shows and I watch the rest of FS with just an idle curiosity. 

Honestly, since he left the competition field, I enjoy watching the mens competitions more....while he was still active I was way too tense to really enjoy other skaters. My tension didn't start right before he skated, but already when the competition started. When he was on it felt like I wasn't breathing and by the time he finished I was totally exhausted. Worrying for him in addition to what the judges would do was not a good combination for myself.....

Of course I have skaters I'm still rooting for. I always hope Jun will do great, that Roman will have the skate of his live, Deniss getting his jumbs under control (just to name a few)......but I don't feel the feelings and the tension that came with waiting for Yuzuru to skate. And I like that. I like that Yuzu really was/is this special, that only he gave me this kind of feelings, and I like that I can now enjoy watching figure skating more light hearted.

......I hope this makes sense🙈.

10 hours ago, Beatrice said:

And yes, we ARE blessed that we are given opportunities to continue watching him skate - the G.O.A.T, the "Lord of the Rinks", the "Emperor of the Ice" 

I'm putting that title to use from now!!!

11 hours ago, Fay said:

The last years were terrible especially for the lack of respect from both ISU and JSF.

Maybe because I finally saw Yuzuru skating live but I honestly had the impression he’s really free from many balls and chains and frankly I don’t miss his competitive years that much.

As other have said I watch FS competitions when I can and I still fret but way way less 😛

15 hours ago, Beatrice said:

...  we ARE blessed that we are given opportunities to continue watching him skate - the G.O.A.T, the "Lord of the Rinks", the "Emperor of the Ice"  :worship:

5 hours ago, LiaRy said:

I'm putting that title to use from now!!!

Since I don't want to falsely take the credit for it, I'd like to point out the source of that well-deserved aristocratic title:

It was on Twitter - in the reply from "Galina" (see below) to a post from Signor Massimo - and when first seeing it, I instantly released a big chuckle at the reference and then clapped my hands from feeling happy and proud at the perfect suitability of that qualification  :giggle:

Read Part II of his Shigesato Itoi talk - God, that “it’s raining” idea was very deep! And true!
And I’d love to ask him who he thinks still skates with a child-like set of mind even in their adulthood. 

On 2/29/2024 at 12:34 AM, yuzuangel said:

Amen! I love his shows, but watching him compete was a unique experience too!