General Yuzuru Chat

26 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

I don't really think it's taboo for East Asian athletes to openly compliment each other these days, despite the political tensions (which I know should not be discussed here so I'm not going any deeper into it). That is one thing, sport is another, I think most everyone agrees that keeping things friendly and civilised helps everyone give their best. For example, Yuzu and Boyang speak very highly of each other even though they are from "rival" nations, and I haven't seen anyone have a problem with it. The Yuna-Mao rivarly may have something to do with it (I really don't know so can't really say my opinion), but I don't think their nationalities make it "taboo", the political situation might not be ideal but it's not that bad. Also, sorry in advance if I misunderstood your comment, maybe you didn't mean it like that in the first place.

I agree, I don't think that's taboo at all. But the Yuna-Mao rivalry is something else altogether and I think that's more of a fandom thing than a political thing, if that makes sense. I heard somewhere that Wakaba still gets some criticism from Mao fans for saying that Yuna was her idol growing up, too. But I think it's more of a clash of fandoms type of thing where the political subtext is just a convenient excuse.

29 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

I don't really think it's taboo for East Asian athletes to openly compliment each other these days, despite the political tensions (which I know should not be discussed here so I'm not going any deeper into it). That is one thing, sport is another, I think most everyone agrees that keeping things friendly and civilised helps everyone give their best. For example, Yuzu and Boyang speak very highly of each other even though they are from "rival" nations, and I haven't seen anyone have a problem with it. The Yuna-Mao rivarly may have something to do with it (I really don't know so can't really say my opinion), but I don't think their nationalities make it "taboo", the political situation might not be ideal but it's not that bad. Also, sorry in advance if I misunderstood your comment, maybe you didn't mean it like that in the first place.

If Yuzu likes Yuna's skating but feels he can't say so, the reason may be more personal than any Japan-Korea rivalry. After all, Yuzu's coaches are the very same ones that Yuna fired after she heard the rumor that they might be considering coaching Mao as well . Yuzuru might be trying to be sensitive of whatever sore feelings there may be, and trying to avoid accidentally opening a can of worms with an innocent but misjudged comment.

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

I agree, I don't think that's taboo at all. But the Yuna-Mao rivalry is something else altogether and I think that's more of a fandom thing than a political thing, if that makes sense. 

Spoiler

Oh yes, I don't know if it's an issue now but the "he said he admires Yuna" is one if the arguments the haters use (used?) against him (they twist it as if he said Yuna was better than Mao), so maybe that's why he is a little hesitant to speak about the ladies :/ 

12 minutes ago, Victoria said:
  Hide contents

Oh yes, I don't know if it's an issue now but the "he said he admires Yuna" is one if the arguments the haters use (used?) against him (they twist it as if he said Yuna was better than Mao), so maybe that's why he is a little hesitant to speak about the ladies :/ 

Spoiler

He really can’t say anything about another skater without haters using against him tbh. Haters already bashing him for using western music for his programs instead of Japan or Asian inspired music.  >:(

4 minutes ago, Sammie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He really can’t say anything about another skater without haters using against him tbh. Haters already bashing him for using western music for his programs instead of Japan or Asian inspired music.  >:(

Spoiler

There always will be something wrong for haters. He could use music from Japan and they would say that his choices aren't varied because he skated to it already.

3 hours ago, Anzi said:

I can't do bike either...still don't know how can a two-wheel thing stand up... 

I got on one once and fell off in three second.  Was told "get back on!!" and you know that little clip of Yuzu going "I can't! I can't! NO!!!" in a cute-cranky-three-year-old's voice? That was me (rather less cute more cranky)

On bike riding and coming to it after being away for some time.  In my case as a kid I lived on my bike even well into my teen years.  I learned to drive when I was sixteen but before I got a full license I had an encounter with another vehicle in a parking lot.  Nothing serious - it didn't even scratch the cars.  I was so traumatized by it though that I told my dad, "Never again!"  I went back to my bike and never drove again.  Then came college and then moving out on my own.  No bicycle for some forty years.  A bike came into my hands more or less by accident and I decided to use it.  Got on it and even after four decades there was no difficulty.  An earlier person said 'muscle memory' and indeed that was the case.  There were, however, some difficulties I had to adjust to.  In my teens I could ride for blocks without touching the handlebars.  I even made turns no-handed.  That was no longer the case.  My muscles might have remembered, but my sense of balance did not have full memories so I was then having to ride with my hands always on the handlebars.  One of the penalties of living into old age.  In any case the saying that once you've learned how to ride a bike you never forget is basically true with the caveat that after a long absence you might not have all your capabilities as a cyclist coming back to you.

For Yuzu, if he's never ridden a bicycle he could easily learn, considering his innate physical talents.  Does he need to?  Not at all.  I'm not even sure how much he drives a car.  Does anybody know if he has a driver's license?  That's a question I'd really like to see answered.

18 minutes ago, Paskud said:

I'm really curious how they will react to :pancake:

If they are a fanyu, they already know it happens. 

But seriously, it's the Olympic Channel,  not Hanyu Central. There are other athletes and other sports in the world. It's getting a bit ridiculous...