General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Noelle said:

I forgot about 24時間テレビ... so that might be another August event with new Yuzu content. Does Yuzu always participate?

He's participated every year since 2014 (I've compiled them below). I think 2016 24HTV was the first time we saw him since after Boston... and he skated to White Legend :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:.

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

He's participated every year since 2014 (I've compiled them below). I think 2016 24HTV was the first time we saw him since after Boston... and he skated to White Legend :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:.

Wow, there is so much to discover on the Planet... :13877886: I was just a "casual" Yuzu/skating fan back then, so I didn't experience the pain of 2016 in the moment... but knowing the context makes it even more special to watch older videos now. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, monchan said:

I hope he can train and prepare for new ss in peace. Btw, who "reported" thou? :war:

They didn't quote anyone directly. They first used an old quote from post-Olympics, if I'm not mistaken, which is this:
"嫌われたくないって思うし、いろんなことをしゃべるほど嫌われるし、書かれるし、うそみたいな記事も出てくるんだろうなって思います"
(Which is the quote about people saying things about him, writing things about him that sometimes are lies, bad translation but it was already previously translated sorry haha)
And then they added
最近では、プライベートな時間や空間にいても、写真を撮られてしまうことを気に病んでいるとも聞く。

Which to me sounds like "We heard that", but saying no names like this makes it suspicious. Like the usual unconfirmed tabloid stuff. 

On 7/17/2018 at 11:16 PM, lazuliblade said:

I'm an encyclopedic person, and I tend to keep folders within folders within folders, or links nested under links. I have an index with a bunch of his interviews/mentions and made summaries of them with notable points and quotes, so when something comes up often, I can just search in the doc for the relevant link. It's still a work in progress, and I keep finding that there are notable interviews/documentaries/photos that I forgot to add, so I end up scrambling through blogs and my youtube lists trying to re-find stuff. >.< It's also a bit of a mess, so I really should get around to making a new doc and organizing these mentions by categories...personal life, skating technique, injuries, ice shows. I need to figure out a system.

I just get super annoyed when there's something that I remember and I want to provide the citation, but then I can't because I either: 
1. thought it wasn't important at the time and I didn't bother saving it, or
2. it's buried among all his interviews. 
So I ended up making a master-list. :war:

Funny how research skills can come in handy outside school. Hey look, professors -- I'm applying those research techniques to the real world! :D I'm sure they never thought I would use this skill set for figure skating, though.

Years ago I used a bibliographic management program called Procite, which was a powerful program that might be useful for building the kind of system you have in mind. It was essentially a database. Sadly it's bought and then killed by the company that makes Endnote. It'd be very handy if PH could have an area with a master list or database of Yuzu videos, interviews, books, & translations that's searchable but the search results would have the option of not having other things (e.g., chats from forums) mixed in.

2 hours ago, Maya said:

Years ago I used a bibliographic management program called Procite, which was a powerful program that might be useful for building the kind of system you have in mind. It was essentially a database. Sadly it's bought and then killed by the company that makes Endnote. It'd be very handy if PH could have an area with a master list or database of Yuzu videos, interviews, books, & translations that's searchable but the search results would have the option of not having other things (e.g., chats from forums) mixed in.

@kaeryth does a good job archiving things here: 

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

@kaeryth does a good job archiving things here: 

@kaeryth does a wonderful job and I love the archive! It's super impressive that so much has been tracked down and every item has been listed so carefully. It's really helpful for finding which things have been translated and during what time period. A VERY BIG THANK YOU. :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

I just need my own summary of points because there are little quotes and snippets that get mentioned - and sometimes you can make connections between what he said in 2012 and in 2018, so it helps me to tag those moments/quotes with key words or phrases. That way, when I swear I remember seeing something, I can easily find it by looking up a relevant phrase. Like:
"when was it that he mentions loving edge jumps?" (Shizuka and Yuzu being interviewed for the monument, and Ice Jewels vol. 5 -- possibly also in Kenji's room?, and another instance where he draws attention to having all edge jumps in his 2016-17 SP). I could look up "edge jumps" and I would find these moments.
or: "When does he mention that he loves the sit spin?" (in a Novice interview, and in Aoi Honoo I - where he also mentions/whines that he doesn't like spins so much anymore because they're hard and he's getting stiff!). I could look up "sit spin" or "StSp" and I would find it.
or "where is it that he mentions his boots being scratched is a sign that he's not good enough yet?" or "where does he mention that he only uses one pair of boots per year?" (he says this twice. Once when he's a junior being interviewed in Ice Rink Sendai, and another when he first got his Piano boots). I could look up "scratches" "boots" "not good enough" "Ice Rink Sendai" "pair" "per year" and something would turn up. THEN I could search for pictures where we see his boots after 12-13 and still find scratches on them, and THEN find pictures where we see evidence of his current boots not having scratches.

And then there are general figure skating things that I keep track of - like links to major boot retailers' boot models (I can identify them on sight now based on nameplate and hook positions); cost of coaching/renting ice time/etc; costume makers mentioning things like the weight of glue needing to be considered, and the use of leotards under costumes; instances where skaters mention having nutritionists; talk about indoor ice temperature; the gender distribution of skaters at the regional level in Japan.

I'm not as knowledgeable as some other people I know, and I have decades of competition&skater history&sport development to catch up on, so I need to do this so I can keep up.:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:
There's so much to learn, but I guess that's what makes it fun. There's always something to discover.:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: