General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, monchan said:

This pic is so iconic, good meme to throw at US media or anyone who question his legend status :darklordyuzu:

This photo is really meme-able :rofl:but if one were to take it more seriously, he looks really good here! This hairstyle is A++++.

35 minutes ago, monchan said:

Don't know if posted, they release new kindle ebook on his press conference talk:

Previous ebook of the same publisher has 1 star on Amazon: www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01MTZTQFA

AKA "it sucks"

1 hour ago, meoima said:

Naturally, it’s Yuzuru’s time to act up as a senior. It’s almost his duty to act as a senior. If you remember the Yuzuru/Nobu/Shoma talk 2 seasons ago, they did say seniority wasn’t that much of a big deal in the skating world but IMO that’s just Yuzuru’s way of trying to ease down (and Nobu retired already so it doesn’t count much). Don’t be shocked if in the future, you see young skaters do not speak a word to Yuzuru other than “thank you” or “I will try my best”. In a way, the current team members of team Japan might be the last generation that can act so freely towards Yuzuru since they have known and interacted with Yuzuru for a while. 

In fact, I think Yuzuru might be very happy that he has kohai who are still acting casually and freely towards him.

I think right now Yuzu's main objective in terms of relationships with other Team Japan skaters is to keep what seems to me to be a budding relationship with Shoma, who while younger has already been competing with and against Yuzu for three seasons.  I've watched their interactions over time and have seen of late an increasing number of 'big brotherly' actions by Yuzu toward Shoma, who seems to me to be quite shy and uncomfortable in unscripted situations.  Javi is gone and I think now Yuzu might be seeming to make Shoma his new Javi.  Of course they won't be training together but that is not as important as the fact that with Shoma coming in silver to Yuzu's gold and Shoma now hardly new on the senior circuit, Yuzu might be putting Shoma in a situation where he shares Yuzu's seniority and thus can treat Yuzu with a casualness that, if the information I've read here is correct, would not be seen as appropriate for younger skaters.  Why Yuzu is strengthening the bonds between himself and Shoma I can't really say, although I have a suspicion it comes from a desire to have somebody at competitions with whom he can act as himself rather than Japan's superstar skating legend.  Remember again, Javi is no longer there.  Shoma, one of the several elites in the senior men's ranks, can be assumed to be there at least in the big competitions. 

All this, of course, is being framed by Yuzu in a ways that does not offend Japanese hierarchies of politeness.  In some ways I think Yuzu has been somewhat liberated by his residing in Toronto, where he sees people interacting in ways that are substantially different from Japanese custom.  Yet he never forgets his Japanese roots and when in a purely Japanese situation he acts just as if he'd never left Sendai.  The one unavoidable situation Yuzu has to deal with vis a vis Japanese custom is that his place in the hierarchy is now framed by more than figure skating.  He is a major Japanese cultural figure, a person whose reputation, while foundationed by figure skating, is viewed in the context of Japanese culture as a whole. As such he is probably fortunate he is in Toronto rather than Sendai because I think he might be finding life at the top in Japan not wholly to his liking.

15 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I think right now Yuzu's main objective in terms of relationships with other Team Japan skaters is to keep what seems to me to be a budding relationship with Shoma, who while younger has already been competing with and against Yuzu for three seasons.  I've watched their interactions over time and have seen of late an increasing number of 'big brotherly' actions by Yuzu toward Shoma, who seems to me to be quite shy and uncomfortable in unscripted situations.  Javi is gone and I think now Yuzu might be seeming to make Shoma his new Javi.  Of course they won't be training together but that is not as important as the fact that with Shoma coming in silver to Yuzu's gold and Shoma now hardly new on the senior circuit, Yuzu might be putting Shoma in a situation where he shares Yuzu's seniority and thus can treat Yuzu with a casualness that, if the information I've read here is correct, would not be seen as appropriate for younger skaters.  Why Yuzu is strengthening the bonds between himself and Shoma I can't really say, although I have a suspicion it comes from a desire to have somebody at competitions with whom he can act as himself rather than Japan's superstar skating legend.  Remember again, Javi is no longer there.  Shoma, one of the several elites in the senior men's ranks, can be assumed to be there at least in the big competitions. 

All this, of course, is being framed by Yuzu in a ways that does not offend Japanese hierarchies of politeness.  In some ways I think Yuzu has been somewhat liberated by his residing in Toronto, where he sees people interacting in ways that are substantially different from Japanese custom.  Yet he never forgets his Japanese roots and when in a purely Japanese situation he acts just as if he'd never left Sendai.  The one unavoidable situation Yuzu has to deal with vis a vis Japanese custom is that his place in the hierarchy is now framed by more than figure skating.  He is a major Japanese cultural figure, a person whose reputation, while foundationed by figure skating, is viewed in the context of Japanese culture as a whole. As such he is probably fortunate he is in Toronto rather than Sendai because I think he might be finding life at the top in Japan not wholly to his liking.

I don’t even understand what you’re trying to say. It’s like a bit you’re reading too much into my words.

In short, what I am saying is, acting as a caring senior is pretty much normal and to be expected for Japanese in the hierarchy system. Yuzuru did well with the duty and frankly he is very good at that. Yuzuru loves caring for children, for younger skaters... he loves small, tiny, chubby things... he will be a good coach.

It’s simple as that Yuzuru for sure does not want to be treated like a semi-god who are so far above the rest of his teammates. Yuzuru surely doesn’t want everyone in the team acts so respectful towards him, thus dare not speak anything to him at all like they acted towards Mao.

It’s not just with team Japan, if you see Yuzuru’s reaction to other international skaters like Misha, Boyang... for example. Yuzuru is playful at heart and he loves having funs with fellow skaters.

Yuzuru has been friendly to most Japanese teammates ever since he was young, hugging Daisuke (that old video was cute, Yuzuru was like a puppy towards the seniors), making jokes with Machida, making Mao and Akiko laugh etc...  

Now it’s his turn to act like a senior, not a “younger brother” to the whole team Japan like before since he is the senior now. He embraces that senior role very well and naturally with grace. But the senior acting in charge is not something abnormal. It’s pretty to be expected in their culture. He is just extra good at that.

I’m really confused with all this seniority posts.    :laughing: Most Asian its their culture look out for their juniors. As an Asian person it’s all normal to me. My culture the same way and it don’t have to be in some kind of sport. So when I look at Yuzu taking care of Shoma, it’s so normal that I don’t even think about it. :confused:

29 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Yuzu has always acted like that towards Shoma, guiding him and teaching him and pushing him outside of his comfort zone at times, for his own good. I believe it only seems like it has increased because they are spending more time together in public due to being the top two skaters. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Javi and Yuzu's relationship with Shoma has absolutely nothing in common with the one he has with Javi.

On top of that, as others have said, Yuzu is friendly with more skaters and it doesn't take much for them to understand he's a normal, fun guy and a two times Olympic Champion in the same time.

As for the seniority thing, I agree with @meoima. As far as Japanese culture is concerned, Yuzu's behavior is perfectly normal and the Japanese will probably not even notice it, because it's as normal as breathing. (ETA, @Sammie just proved my point lol) Despite Yuzu and Shoma saying it's nit as strict in figure skating - they don't use keigo and aren't super polite with each other - it obviously still exists because it's in their nature and upbringing. That's also why Yuzu said he should stick around a bit more because he still has things to teach Shoma - like not falling asleep during press conferences. Seniors feel responsible for their juniors and if the juniors make mistakes it's because the seniors didn't teach them properly. That type of sense of responsibility is also part of their culture and Yuzu has it in spades. On the other hand, this doesn't mean Yuzu only does this out of obligation. He clearly likes Shoma. It's just that it's a natural relationship and not really anything to overanalyze

21 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I’m really confused with all this seniority posts.    :laughing: Most Asian its their culture look out for their juniors. As an Asian person it’s all normal to me. My culture the same way and it don’t have to be in some kind of sport. So when I look at Yuzu taking care of Shoma, it’s so normal that I don’t even think about it. :confused:

Not all Asians consider seniority like the Japanese.

Seniority in my country has to do with status. For example my father was the youngest in his family but he was the only son of my grandfather’s first wife (year those days it’s normal for polygamy), so my father was technically the head of the family. My uncles and aunts were all older than my father but their words were not weighed as much as my father. Thus, it’s to be expected for my father and in turn me to be respected in the big family. It’s awkward to see people who are older than me like 10-20 years show respect to me just because of my rank though. 

In the work place, people tend to respect older senior as well. But it’s kinda less than in Japan I think. The hierarchy system in Japan is more strict IMO. But as I have worked with Japanese athletes before I don’t see any issues with that and thus I am puzzled when people read too much into Yuzuru’s caring attitude towards younger skaters in team Japan. 

8 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

I remember he said that after Sochi he regret not being able to say what he planned to say. He said he wanted to thank all of his teachers.

Now it came true :sadPooh:

Awwwww. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

But they can't even read it because its in Japanese so they probably won't know of it.