General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Hyphens are so important.

I honestly don't even remember typing in that hyphen. 

I just heard about what FaOI was like a couple days ago and I've taken to bingeing his past performances there, which are all great, and I really hope he does make an appearance there. Considering it isn't a competition and more of an exhibition, he could take it easy and not do a technically demanding program. Consider it a practice in front of a live audience. 

21 minutes ago, ClarissaH said:

Maybe so, but during the Autumn Classic this season when he said he'd "take it easy" he went and broke the record for short program score so "taking it easy" doesn't really mean much. :xD:

I wont be surprized if he breaks another one under the new rules as soon as he starts competing again. 

Hes broken it 12 times, its jst a matter of how many more he is going to break it again. My guess is like 16 before he re***res

Under those new rules he probably will break records again. I'd venture to even say all of them since when he does his components well, he does them really well. Do I need to bring up his triple axel?

During the correspondents conference in Japan that happened a couple days ago, he was asked about it but didn't say much about it, just said that he'd continue to challenge himself with more technically difficult components. 

14 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

I wont be surprized if he breaks another one under the new rules as soon as he starts competing again. 

Hes broken it 12 times, its jst a matter of how many more he is going to break it again. My guess is like 16 before he re***res

Won’t just about every score under the new system technically be a new WR? :biggrin:

Won’t just about every score under the new system technically be a new WR? :biggrin:

I wouldn't think so. To my understanding, the modification is changing the GoE from a scale of -3 to +3 to -5 to +5, which further rewards execution of elements, this being done to help balance out artistry vs technical ability. I mean, a botch quad is worth just as much as a successful triple of the same jump. It's not really a new system, like the switch from a 6 point system to the one currently in place. 

The base value for every component is still the same, there's just a greater reward for pulling off an element extremely well and a higher penalty for botching a jump. 

4 minutes ago, ClarissaH said:

I wouldn't think so. To my understanding, the modification is changing the GoE from a scale of -3 to +3 to -5 to +5, which further rewards execution of elements, this being done to help balance out artistry vs technical ability. I mean, a botch quad is worth just as much as a successful triple of the same jump. It's not really a new system, like the switch from a 6 point system to the one currently in place. 

The base value for every component is still the same, there's just a greater reward for pulling off an element extremely well and a higher penalty for botching a jump. 

There’s also a reduction in time and one less jumping pass in the FS, though. 

RE: WR with new rules

I don't think a score will be considered a new WR unless it exceeds the current WR (or PB, if we want to be strict and use ISU terms),  the rules aren't going yo be really drastically changed. I think even after Vancouver, when the BV of quads was changed, they have kept considering the all scores since the COP system replaced the 6.0 (some of the listed PB are from 2005)

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat//phsmto.htm

52 minutes ago, ClarissaH said:

Maybe so, but during the Autumn Classic this season when he said he'd "take it easy" he went and broke the record for short program score so "taking it easy" doesn't really mean much. :xD:

we are talking about the guy who skated his SP with 4Lo and 3A and 4T-rippon3T on a ice-show ice rink (they are much smaller) and with gala lightings, so no, take it easy isn't something Yuzuru can do, not even in shows. And actually he has skated a clean Chopin ballade once in FaoI Makuhari, and Max Ambesi fanboyed tweeted that Yuzuru would have broken the SP world record with that skate (which he did, a few months later:laughing:)

btw you can check the big-ass parade that Sendai organized after his Sochi medal, featuring the iconic ill-fitting grey suit :)  gosh that was an awful suit...:facepalm:

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I'm glad Yuzu has the highest SP, FS, and Combined records bc with the elimination of a jumping pass and 30 seconds of time it'll be really hard to break that...also it was already really hard to break it unless you're Yuzu :biggrin:

Right? I see a lot of gloom and doom about manipulation of a new system that isn’t in place yet but to me it looks like skaters like Yuzu will definitely benefit more. Please, people, form an orderly line to call me naive. :P

There’s also a reduction in time and one less jumping pass in the FS, though. 

Oh, that's something I definitely didn't know about. Yeah, that definitely will make it harder. Considering a quad happens in a second, 30 seconds gone is quite the change. 

3 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

we are talking about the guy who skated his SP with 4Lo and 3A and 4Trippon3T on a ice-show ice rink (they are much smaller) and with gala lightings, so no, take it easy isn't something Yuzuru can do, not even in shows. And actually he has skated a clean Chopin ballade once, and Max Ambesi fanboyed tweeted that Yuzuru would have broken the SP world recor with that skate (which he did, a few months later:laughing:)

btw you can check the big-ass parade that Sendai organized after his Sochi medal, featuring the iconic ill-fitting grey suit :)  gosh that was an awful suit...:facepalm:

I watched that program yesterday, the one in the ice-show rink! The first comment my mom and I made on the show was the size of the rink. He still did amazing with it, despite the size. 

I have never heard of this ill-fitting grey suit before. Time to search YouTube and Google for it.