General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

Re: the award

tbh I can see Yuzuru declining it, he might feel "not worth" of such a big honour yet (and tbh it scares me a bit that he could receive that award. I mean, sure, I know he is THE Yuzuru Hanyu, but such an award would make that even more official, idk, it seems like a huuuge burden for someone so young and who already places so much pressure on himself. I know he takes pride and strenght in representing his country, but I also hope he can be just himself, just the person, just normal, like Yuzu would say). But others here pointed out it would make him very grateful and proud, too, so idk. Of course I hope they will decide to give him that award, there are no doubts he is inspirational and he brings lots of happiness and strenght to many people, not only in Japan.:10742289:

I think Yuzu knows well he can no longer be the 'normal' athlete after Sochi, just look at how he handles media and his current life, he's alr a public figure and MUST live so, it can't be helped (u can't say things like 'i'm an athlete and fight for the medal for myself, not a public figure so I don't want these responsibility' after u get those achievement, esp when you're Jpnese). Plus I hope ppl realize that he isn't your boy next door, regardless of his idol-like image, boy next door's life isn't surrounded by tons of fans/media/business team, his reality is sooooo far from normality that it's hard to say he's just a young boy. What I mean is, he's alr a respected society figure and is expected to live his life accordingly, regardless of the awards.

I wnt to see yuzu a bit longer so i dnt like the reduction in time lol. I think they shld prevent backloading, add more PCS point getters and give extra points for skaters who skate clean programs, give extra points for perfect and deduct points for jumps and spins and jst limit the number of quads attempted. But i like long programs!! It means u can see the skaters program longer.. 

9 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

I wnt to see yuzu a bit longer so i dnt like the reduction in time lol. I think they shld prevent backloading, add more PCS point getters and give extra points for skaters who skate clean programs, give extra points for perfect and deduct points for jumps and spins and jst limit the number of quads attempted. But i like long programs!! It means u can see the skaters program longer.. 

I'm also disappointed about the free skates being reduced in time, because I too like seeing all of the skaters. The solution you proposed with extra points for well executed components and penalties for ones that aren't is kind of already being implemented through the expansion of the GoE scores, instead of -3 through +3, it's going to be -5 through +5, or at least I've heard this will be implemented. 

I feel like limiting the number of quads someone can attempt isn't a good route to take because, in a way, it devolves the sport. This is probably a bit of an unpopular opinion but I feel like technical components and the quality of them is more important than the artistic components, however I am not saying artistry shouldn't be reward I'm just saying that walking back technical achievements to cater to artistry is a destructive move for a SPORT. Figure Skating is a sport and skill and athletic ability should be rewarded and not limited. The biggest reason I've seen from people who don't like figure skating is that the rewards for the artistic components are very subjective. While there will always be subjective elements to figure skating, the closer the sport gets to objectivity, the better. 

This doesn't mean we'll totally lose artistry though, the increase of GoE scores will help to combat that plus we still see artistry in very technical skaters, such as Hanyu and Shoma. 

Edit: I can't see preventing backloading being a fix either, because by doing that you're kind of doing the reverse of the problem that's trying to be fixed, penalizing athletic ability to theoretically cater to artistry. To state this again, figure skating is a SPORT and athletic ability should be rewarded, and that's exactly why jumps in the second half of programs get that 10 per cent bonus. If a skater is able to execute quality jumps in the second half, that's a great display of their athletic ability. However, to a skater who tries to backload their program for the bonus but doesn't execute jumps with quality, the GoE will come to hurt them in the end. 

3 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Watch him get +5 on his very first 3A outing. :biggrin: (I know they wouldn’t dare but...)

I see this as sort of a quick fix to counter PCS inflation for quadsters but I don’t think it’s the right solution. Judging fairly is the only solution. 

I would LOVE to see Hanyu get a +5 on his first 3A, and it's not impossible either. His axels are exquisite and he enters them in the most difficult way one can. 

1 minute ago, cinemacoconut said:

I think 100 points for max PCS isnt enough. There shld be a seperate point getter for perfect clean programs. I think a max 150 for pcs would balance the point system so one could get just as high PCS as well as TES

That’s been suggested, changing the factoring of PCS. If the aim is to achieve balance between TES and PCS scores and, consequently, in skaters’ focus on improving their PCS, then I agree. We’re lucky to have a skater like Yuzu who already does more than what the current system requires or rewards him for.

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Watch him get +5 on his very first 3A outing. :biggrin: (I know they wouldn’t dare but...)

I see this as sort of a quick fix to counter PCS inflation for quadsters but I don’t think it’s the right solution. Judging fairly is the only solution. 

Agree. I actually don't mind much about new rule change. It makes no different if judge still throw out GOE and PCS like free candy, what they need is transparency in judging.

To kind of continue with this, I don't think raising the possible PCS score from 100 to 150, or any kind of increase, will really help in any way. PCS scores have already proven how subjective they are with the jumps of scores skaters like Alina Zagitova have gotten with the same programs after having won a major competition. In the end, such increase would benefit skaters with an established reputation, such as Hanyu, Brown, and Rippon, and bite new competitors in the ass. 

20 minutes ago, monchan said:

Agree. I actually don't mind much about new rule change. It makes no different if judge still throw out GOE and PCS like free candy, what they need is transparency in judging.

I think it will be a lot more difficult to hide bias. The American judge who gave only +2 for his 4T and 4S is going to stand out a lot more if she tries to give +3, for example, among a row of +5.

As for the time reduction, I’ll miss that extra 30 seconds of magic as well but that too is going to really emphasise the difference in quality and the emptiness of programs of the kind of skaters who pack in quads but not much else and a skater like Yuzu who, in addition to paying attention to transitions and difficult entries, doesn’t need such long set up times for his jumps.

I find it weird how you say that Zagitova isn't so much of a jumping bean when, at least the only thing I've EVER heard said in discussion about her, is her jumping and how she backloads them, something that you expressed you were against. 

As I've said, the biggest problem I have with raising the PCS max score is that paired with the obvious subjectivity and bias in the system will, in the end, favor skaters with an established reputation and actively hurt new contenders, who before they've been around for a few seasons and develop a reputation, only have the technical points on their side to edge out the seniors. It's been shown that this is a problem so it's likely that that's how a change like that would play out. 

Honestly, I believe that the solution is the score window expansion for GoE, lucratively reward well executed components and penalize ones that aren't. And another implementation that could help to further rule out bias is to adapt something other sports have done, throw out the highest and lowest scores out of the mean calculation. So if, out of 5 judges, one gives a -1, one gives a +3, and the other judges give +1s and +2s, the high and the low are ruled out to eliminate bias.