General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Work culture in Japan can be summed up in one word: presenteeism. Asking them to accommodate working from home is probably akin to asking a fish to live in the air instead of the water. 

To be true, even in Europe some people are nearly panicking, demanding daily detailed reporting instead of weekly ones, hence a bigger workload...

What is Blade for the Brave? I mean, they couldn't find an open rink and gather to skate, could they?

Been thinking about why Yuzu's message seems to have a deeper impact than so many of the others who have been using social media to talk to and encourage fans (well, besides the obvious fact that we get to see him so rarely on it :))

Without criticising the other sports stars, their messages have been - as social media tends to be - "this is what I'm doing now," as well as words to encourage fans. Which is great (I looooved Jason skipping on skates).  Yuzu however.... a blank wall, plain outfit, serious demeanour, a carefully thought out little talk directly to his listeners and about them, covering those who have to stay home, those who have to work to overcome the crisis, and those who are already ill and suffering (the elderly fans especially - the grannies and grandads he has spoken to in countless fundraising clips - who may be isolated and must be so frightened at the minute can hear that he is thinking of them too) and just touching on 3/11 to bring in that fellow feeling and that lovely image of the darkness and the stars. 

Nothing about "me" to detract from "us" and especially "you". In this me-hungry world, he really is something special...

9 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

What is Blade for the Brave? I mean, they couldn't find an open rink and gather to skate, could they?

If you click the link I posted, you'll know. Jason Brown & a few other people are doing an online 'skating' show to raise funds for COVID relief. Basically a whole bunch of skaters past and present will be livestreaming clips of whatever they can come up with. 

Starts in an hour and a bit, at 8pm Eastern Time

28 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Been thinking about why Yuzu's message seems to have a deeper impact than so many of the others who have been using social media to talk to and encourage fans (well, besides the obvious fact that we get to see him so rarely on it :))

Without criticising the other sports stars, their messages have been - as social media tends to be - "this is what I'm doing now," as well as words to encourage fans. Which is great (I looooved Jason skipping on skates).  Yuzu however.... a blank wall, plain outfit, serious demeanour, a carefully thought out little talk directly to his listeners and about them, covering those who have to stay home, those who have to work to overcome the crisis, and those who are already ill and suffering (the elderly fans especially - the grannies and grandads he has spoken to in countless fundraising clips - who may be isolated and must be so frightened at the minute can hear that he is thinking of them too) and just touching on 3/11 to bring in that fellow feeling and that lovely image of the darkness and the stars. 

Nothing about "me" to detract from "us" and especially "you". In this me-hungry world, he really is something special...

All of this, and (speaking of the huge impact his message had on social media and in the news in a short time) also that Yuzu seems like a go-to person and an emotional anchor when something catastrophic happens in his country. He's a public figure that people instinctively turn to for reassurance, and want to hear from, because of the resilience he's personally shown in dark and certain circumstances, as well as the outreach he has done for disaster relief. Every summer we get essentially a mini-documentary showing his warmth and empathy towards people who are experiencing hard times, and how he is able to give them strength. If I were Japanese and living through difficult circumstances, I would be waiting for Yuzuru Hanyu's message and I would get a lot of comfort from it. I mean, I'm not Japanese and I was still waiting for it. :laughing: 

24 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If you click the link I posted, you'll know. Jason Brown & a few other people are doing an online 'skating' show to raise funds for COVID relief. Basically a whole bunch of skaters past and present will be livestreaming clips of whatever they can come up with. 

Starts in an hour and a bit, at 8pm Eastern Time

Thank you! I had clicked of course, but not found out what it consisted in.

I rather love this, the Olympic Channel asked "which athletes are keeping you entertained on social media?"

Now you would think the one star who is known for not having any sm would not dominate the replies yet again, but.... you'd be wrong :LOL:Of course the JOC tweet yesterday was just great timing...

5 hours ago, memae said:

He's probably responsible for at least 80% of their traffic

OC knows which side their bread is buttered!

unlike another organization whose antics and corruption makes me think of **U, rather than ISU