General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Geo1 said:

The reason I say that Yuzuru Hanyu is the Miyamoto Musashi of figure skating is not just because of his prowess in his art and his abilities as a tactician and strategist, but because of his absolute dedication to continually improving his art to the exclusion and sacrifice of everything else in his life.

I quoted @Sombreuil because of her description of Yuzuru as “this figure skating hermit pursuing his skating goals and his degree to the exclusion of everything else.”

Miyamoto Musashi was the same. He spent his entire life pursuing perfection as a swordsman forsaking everything else. He did not lead armies. His battles were one-to-one. As a swordsman, he is considered the greatest of all time – the GOAT. He was also a philosopher and has many famous sayings regarding overcoming obstacles and oneself similar to the intelligent thoughts and sayings of Yuzu.

The book “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa translated into English is entertaining, interesting and informative. Once you start reading it, you cannot put it down. I have both the hardcover and Kindle versions. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.ca/Musashi-Epic-Novel-Samurai-Era/dp/156836427X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Miyamoto+Musashi&qid=1573111040&sr=8-1

I fully agree with you in this comparison - no argument here.  I think it's a personal way in which we can interpret and project images of historic figures.   My own interpretation is on the ethereal and feminine aesthetics of samurai culture- which is embodied in Yoshitsune and much less in Musashi.  It relates to why Yuzu chooses a more "feminine" style that seems to strike as unusual for Western audience but more common in Japanese culture. 

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This. I foolishly did not realize that you can download videos from twitter and so did not download. 

It was such a glorious moment, too! Yuzu was perfect. If ever you wanted a video to sell the non-FS world on figure skating, that would be the one. 

WTF, ISU. WTF. :crazyshit2:

Well, at least we know it happened, and the footage is still somewhere safe with Jordan. And we all got to see it, so there's that. 

Same! It was so easy to download the original file on twitter, yet I thought it'd be left alone. Sucks! Even those circulating online didn't seem to be of the same quality...

16 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Hiya folks apologies for taking the topic  a few pages back but apparently a representative(?) from ISU forced Jordan (On Ice Perspective) to take down the gala practice videos he posted on instagram :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just hope he can still post his videos (the full version of all the EX he recorded, not just Yuzu's) someplace else, seriously at this point ISU is really a bunch of dinosaurs... :knc_brian3:

Although I don't get it... What's the downside of working for them? Won't that pay for his expenses and even let him earn an income? Isn't that what freelance photographers do? His Patreon page sets $3,000 per month as minimum to cover expenses, and $6,000 per month to make a minimum wage, and we're at like, $2,000 per month now. Forgive me but I don't think he can expect to be supported by Patreons alone if he's serious about making his work known... 

https://www.patreon.com/oniceperspectives

9 hours ago, Salior said:

I remembered wanting Yuzu to win Worlds and 4CC last year, so he would be 

4x GPF champion

3x World champion

2x Olympic champion

1x 4CC champion 

Hopefully, he will win GPF again (as it is his goal at the moment), so he will be 5x GPF champion. He will then need more of the others, to keep the balance right :).

1 hour ago, Salior said:

Same! It was so easy to download the original file on twitter, yet I thought it'd be left alone. Sucks! Even those circulating online didn't seem to be of the same quality...

Although I don't get it... What's the downside of working for them? Won't that pay for his expenses and even let him earn an income? Isn't that what freelance photographers do? His Patreon page sets $3,000 per month as minimum to cover expenses, and $6,000 per month to make a minimum wage, and we're at like, $2,000 per month now. Forgive me but I don't think he can expect to be supported by Patreons alone if he's serious about making his work known... 

https://www.patreon.com/oniceperspectives

Possibly doesn't want to be subject to their constraints? When you work for someone, you have to abide by what they want and say. I applaud him for not doing it. Myself, I would not want to be labeled as working for ISU in the state they are now (corrupted, political, etc.)

RJ8CIkpr.jpg

It's funny. I see this drawing of Yuzu above my desk everyday, but I just realized: This is Yuzu in 2016 holding up the last gold medal that he won at the NHK Trophy so far. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

The thing is: when I drew this portrait two years ago, I had no idea, how meaningful and valuable this victory would be (thinking of the sad outcome of his second GP in 2017 and 2018...)

Well, I looked at him, saw that happy smile in his face and got this warm and positive feeling that he will do well at this year's NHK again :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

19 hours ago, mercedes said:

ISU workings is a mystery to me,Jordan does an amazing service to FS,his videos are the closest way to feel what the skaters feel and for someone like me it's truly beautiful.

anyhow

Reveal hidden contents

here it is,2 files because I 1st recorded it with bandycam and then some kind sould share it on you tube...you guys pick what you want:)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zXDhLJ5RopZ_iYAXVHvO9LZg7YmzZyPW?usp=sharing

Well, ISU drastically reduced the accreditations for the press at all events without a tangible reason... Denying themselves actual promotion of the sport. As always, it's one step forward with the Youtube streaming, and then two steps back...

14 hours ago, Pika said:

Well, ISU drastically reduced the accreditations for the press at all events without a tangible reason... Denying themselves actual promotion of the sport. As always, it's one step forward with the Youtube streaming, and then two steps back...

What can we say, the president of ISU is a 75 year old politician

At least International Gymnastic Federation had a Japanese president who pushed for AI judging for the benefit of their gymnasts... Honestly his words are inspiring, he cares so much about the gymnasts. He's so resourceful too, to conduct the AI program like that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/sports/olympics/gymnastics-robot-judges.html 

Japan is indeed the land of technologies. I mean, they even have this underground bike parking system 

http://i.imgur.com/A6bypye.gifv 

On the other hand, we have Ari pushing to replace gala with the awards when there's so many judging issues. Ugh. At least gymnastics got their priorities right. 

9 hours ago, CiaoCiao said:

Is it the transation of the article? Or of the podcast too? Because I just listened to the podcast and Ambesi is like a genius.

it's a translation of the podcast,not all of it but just the bit about Yuzuru.I think the real genius is Dolfini tho:biggrin:

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

RJ8CIkpr.jpg

It's funny. I see this drawing of Yuzu above my desk everyday, but I just realized: This is Yuzu in 2016 holding up the last gold medal that he won at the NHK Trophy so far. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

The thing is: when I drew this portrait two years ago, I had no idea, how meaningful and valuable this victory would be (thinking of the sad outcome of his second GP in 2017 and 2018...)

Well, I looked at him, saw that happy smile in his face and got this warm and positive feeling that he will do well at this year's NHK again :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

wow this is so beautifully done!

In my seat at Rock the Rink, the Ottawa show, right now. This is the arena for SCI next year so I'm scoping it out for Yuzu-viewing potential. The seats are comfortable but very narrow. I'm worried I'll be jabbing my neighbor with my elbows! 

Also, so far as I can tell, every seat has a good view! 

Edited to add: 

Even though there's lots of parking under the arena, quite a few people in the audience around me were complaining about the difficulty of finding a space. Something to keep in mind

Edit #2: also, the show was great! They gave Patrick all the cool, happy numbers. :xD: