WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

1 hour ago, Salior said:

Sounds lovely! The individual handheld banners is definitely a plus, shows where they are from without the political baggage. Will the wording be the same? 

The map pin is a great idea too ^^ Perhaps can also state that if they have difficulty navigating the map pins, they can add the city to the form? 

Thanks everyone for the discussion too! 

here's something basic I've come up with, just from the form entries 

mqy6ej.png

1. If we want the attendees to stick a heart on the site, the banner gotta be LARGE, Europe is already full haha. Also we must ensure the quality of the sticker such that it won't fall off / crumple when the banner is folded? 

2. Should we also have regional banners? Like Asia / NA / SA / Europe / Oceania? Since individual flags are already small and the Europe is so tiny that one "Love" image would cover up the entire continent lol, and for the big banner there might not be enough space to stick everyone's stickers haha, depending on the size. Then maybe add the words "We love Yuzu" at the blank spaces that is the ocean or on top and bottom. Although probably it doesn't matter.  

some additional suggestions

Hide contents

3. Should we include countries from the previous graphs as well? Maybe in a different colour, like these will be printed while attendees get all stickers? If so Asia would be quite full haha, maybe we can make it closer to the centre and put words in the Pacific ocean? Maybe we can have separate banners for countries that are represented online from previous graphs and surveys (printed), and continent maps where ppl can stick their stickers on? Also should we include numbers too? 

8cp937.png

Like afaik the largest Chinese Yuzu fan group on weibo has 617,496 members,

Russia has a fan group as well (the largest group I've found on vk is 13k) 

Latino America FB page has 40k likes 

Vietnamese FB page has 54k likes 

Taiwanese FB page has 142k likes 

Mexico FB page has 5.5k likes 

Japanese FB page has 72k likes 

Hanyuyuzurufeed on twitter has 32k followers 

Here's the demographic for twitter and here's some more countries from Youtube, done during the birthday project in 2016. This is from the 2019 fan book 

Here's the PH one. Maybe we can call for ppl to tag themselves if they want to be represented, not just if they're attending. 

Don't have to be precise, but maybe just put the numbers in the general region for the larger groups?

Although that'll mean that the banner will have to be updated T.T Maybe don't print the numbers, but make them removable stickers instead. 

I love this color scheme. It looks refined and the red stickers are coming through nicely. 

An idea for the stickers: what about cloth hearts? The fabric would be foldable and it would probably last quite long. However, it would need to be pinned somehow, gluing it wouldn't be much effective. The simplest option is probably the classic sewing pin, but it would be hard to handle after competition and we probably don't want to bleed for Yuzu litterally. :68468287:

Then there are various brooch pins, the best option is this one I think:

Spoiler

Silver-Plated-Copper-Hat-Brooch-pins-Diy

It would thake the smallest amount of space when placed. But the map banner would have to be accessible from all sides and not too high for people to be able to pin this on. So that makes it more difficult to use. But this type would probably last the longest.

We should certainly consider other options as well, but this could be the most reusable option.

Edit: But of course, if needed, the hearts CAN be glued on. It would become a mess though. I can picture the banner all sticky from the glue and if not dry enough, it would stick all together after competition. And as there are many many fans, the cloth would probably be quite soaked.

Oh, and the hearts could have a black border to make them visible when placed close to each other.

:thanks: dear @yuzuangel for all your efforts and time invested in this project so far! Also thank you to all persons involved in the PM thread and the ones who voiced their concerns via Twitter. Our only goal is to support and show our love to Yuzu, without causing any possible harm.

hace 56 minutos , Salior said:

1. If we want the attendees to stick a heart on the site, the banner gotta be LARGE, Europe is already full haha. Also we must ensure the quality of the sticker such that it won't fall off / crumple when the banner is folded? 

A large banner would be lovely but I’m not sure if good for practical reasons. How are  the chances of hanging it during SK, NHK and Worlds? For the GPF we are enough satellites sitting together so we could display it by simply holding. Can anybody help here, who has been previously in those venues/competitions? 

I would also suggest, we stick to our own statistics? We could maybe ask satellites for an update regarding their country? 

@yuzuangel would it be possible to add the option for satellites, to decide if their country should be displayed to the public or not? Maybe many don’t want it to be public, but would be willing to let the admins to use it for statistics?

1 hour ago, Yuzu_legend said:

I would also suggest, we stick to our own statistics? We could maybe ask satellites for an update regarding their country

I personally think it would be more meaningful to ask people who specifically want to support Yuzu at competitions where they want to put their pin! It would be more interactive that way and people who feel sad that they can’t go to competitions to support Yuzu can in this way support him in a teeny tiny way. 

Also it‘s probably possible to hang it at GPF and SK? Not at NHK tho. 

2 hours ago, robin said:

Also this is just a rough mockup but the idea is that we would also have individual hand-held banners like this 

xDT7XJR.png

but the heart-globe would ideally have different continents in its center so people can pin down their own hometown on their own banner. 

I think for individual flags they can probably put big strong stickers and take care of it themselves! 

For the big banner, the metal pins gonna be heavy tho, esp if there are a lot of them, and if the banner is large they can only be pinned if laid flat on the ground since ppl need to traverse both sides to put the lock into the pin. 

How about plastic button badges? Those should be easier. Maybe a heart with black background? Or a simple red badge. (click on image for link) The size of the badge will prob depend on the size of the banner

2ybepc.png

4 hours ago, Yuzu_legend said:

:thanks: dear @yuzuangel for all your efforts and time invested in this project so far! Also thank you to all persons involved in the PM thread and the ones who voiced their concerns via Twitter. Our only goal is to support and show our love to Yuzu, without causing any possible harm.

A large banner would be lovely but I’m not sure if good for practical reasons. How are  the chances of hanging it during SK, NHK and Worlds? For the GPF we are enough satellites sitting together so we could display it by simply holding. Can anybody help here, who has been previously in those venues/competitions? 

I would also suggest, we stick to our own statistics? We could maybe ask satellites for an update regarding their country? 

@yuzuangel would it be possible to add the option for satellites, to decide if their country should be displayed to the public or not? Maybe many don’t want it to be public, but would be willing to let the admins to use it for statistics?

Thanks yuzuangel for the PH twitter post too! It's very well worded and considerate :) I would never have been able to write that haha

I guess for the big map we can either (1) have a super big banner with both printed online satellite countries + attendee badges, or (2) have a printed satellite world map based on PH / other online statistics and regional banners for pinning badges? Would the badges be removed after every competition? 

If the countries don't have the usernames attached to them it should be fine tbh. Maybe this can be the opportunity for the latest up to date demographic survey with the pinned map too ^^ 

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Thanks everyone for participating in the banner thread and design. It has been really helpful :10742289:

It has come to our attention that the use of certain flags for any reason is actually a huge political issue in many parts of the world. Some Chinese fans have been very anxious about any potential controversy using HK/Taiwan flags might put Yuzu in given that the upcoming Olympics is in Beijing, and he has Chinese sponsors. Yuzu has obviously not endorsed our project so it doesn't make sense that this would affect him but often we can't predict these reactions. And not only in Asia, but flags have different meanings in different regions, and we don't want to make any unintended political statements.

I would never want to do anything that would in any way hurt Yuzu or increase the chances of anyone anywhere to hurt Yuzu for any reason..so @robin and @4Nessie and @Salior and @Yuzu_legend and @Veveco and I spent the last day or so thinking of solutions that don't involve flags. We mostly chatted about this through PM because the situation seemed sensitive, but if you would like to be added to the discussion, please PM me!

One idea that we came up with was that we could do a big map, kinda like the demographic map we tweeted, and hang it somewhere in the arena. People can drop pins onto an online map signifying where they're from/their hometown, and we can add a small heart on the map for each person. We can bring the map to competitions with stickers, and people can keep adding to the map by placing stickers on the locations where they're from. 

The map can say "WE LOVE YUZU/ALL OVER THE WORLD" on top and bottom (and maybe something about Planet Hanyu as well). And maybe individual handheld banners can also have the same map and we can hand out large "pin" stickers that you can place on the region you're from when you hold it up.

Would love to hear all of your thoughts or any other ideas that anyone may have :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg: :tumblr_inline_n2pje39gH11qdlkyg:

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that this might indeed be a potential problem. It's really great that you thought of this, @yuzuangel!

It's sad that we live in a world where there is so much political contention that even the show of a certain flag might mean a certain political message or cause trouble, but this is, unfortunately, the case. So, yes, we really have to be careful about this and not risk any potential problems.:tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Thank all of you ladies who talked about this and came up with great new ideas! :grouphug:

I think showing a map of the world is really a great solution! After all, our message of support for Yuzu comes from all over the world.

But why not just a map of the world in heartshape? I think it's not even necessary to pinpoint on the map where you come from? I mean, a world map really represents all of us.

Also, I think it would be nice to have something from Planet Hanyu. Do we actually have an official Planet Hanyu logo?

Thank you so much to @yuzuangel for putting this project together and thank you to everybody involved in this! :10742289:

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

Now that you mentioned it, I realized that this might indeed be a potential problem. It's really great that you thought of this, @yuzuangel!

It's sad that we live in a world where there is so much political contention that even the show of a certain flag might mean a certain political message or cause trouble, but this is, unfortunately, the case. So, yes, we really have to be careful about this and not risk any potential problems.:tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Thank all of you ladies who talked about this and came up with great new ideas! :grouphug:

I think showing a map of the world is really a great solution! After all, our message of support for Yuzu comes from all over the world.

But why not just a map of the world in heartshape? I think it's not even necessary to pinpoint on the map where you come from? I mean, a world map really represents all of us.

Also, I think it would be nice to have something from Planet Hanyu. Do we actually have an official Planet Hanyu logo?

Thank you so much to @yuzuangel for putting this project together and thank you to everybody involved in this! :10742289:

I think the point was to drive home the idea that we are from different countries, because despite our last efforts with "Yuzu is loved from all over the world" banner, the media didn't seem to get it last ACI and still called us "Japanese" fans even though Asians ≠ Japanese, and some of us don't even look Asian. 

Alright, here are some very rough black & white designs. I used the sentence "we love Yuzuru from all over the world" but obviously it can be anything else, it's just for the concept.

Basically it's going to be a trade-off between having a big & accurate map versus freedom for the design. (A big map is better to put the many pins on but limits the space we have for the words or other potential elements).

Idea #1 : have a big map in the center

I used the maps @Salior posted before as an example. The first one is the simplest design, text above & below map. The second one is with the words in the blank space (in that case, it only really works with the Pacific in the center), but note that it restricts the size of the words.

Spoiler

BkFdixz.png

Spoiler

003CSsq.png

Idea #2: if we focus less on having a huge map, we can play a bit more with the design & aesthetics.

I'm showing one example, it's simple & somewhat similar to the heart-shaped world idea for the smaller banner but in a circle version, just to give an idea. (FYI, I "stole" the UN logo because it was the one example I could think of of a round map with all countries on the spot. Using a round (or heart) map makes it difficult to have all countries at once in general. I tried having the 2 hemispheres instead since there are several "O" in the sentence, it works and gives more space for the pins but it looks a bit strange in terms of space management...). The biggest problem with changing the shape of the map from the traditional rectangle will be to transfer the locations to the new shape. It's doable technically, but not straightforward.

Spoiler

ZKQB5uw.png

So... that's what I imagined based on all the ideas, but I'm curious to see if people have completely different concepts in mind? :think:

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

Alright, here are some very rough black & white designs. I used the sentence "we love Yuzuru from all over the world" but obviously it can be anything else, it's just for the concept.

Basically it's going to be a trade-off between having a big & accurate map versus freedom for the design. (A big map is better to put the many pins on but limits the space we have for the words or other potential elements).

Idea #1 : have a big map in the center

I used the maps @Salior posted before as an example. The first one is the simplest design, text above & below map. The second one is with the words in the blank space (in that case, it only really works with the Pacific in the center), but note that it restricts the size of the words.

Hide contents

BkFdixz.png

Hide contents

003CSsq.png

Idea #2: if we focus less on having a huge map, we can play a bit more with the design & aesthetics.

I'm showing one example, it's simple & somewhat similar to the heart-shaped world idea for the smaller banner but in a circle version, just to give an idea. (FYI, I "stole" the UN logo because it was the one example I could think of of a round map with all countries on the spot. Using a round (or heart) map makes it difficult to have all countries at once in general. I tried having the 2 hemispheres instead since there are several "O" in the sentence, it works and gives more space for the pins but it looks a bit strange in terms of space management...). The biggest problem with changing the shape of the map from the traditional rectangle will be to transfer the locations to the new shape. It's doable technically, but not straightforward.

Hide contents

ZKQB5uw.png

So... that's what I imagined based on all the ideas, but I'm curious to see if people have completely different concepts in mind? :think:

wow! :1497158260_5GOE:

design 2 looks really awesome! It feels very coherent, like a globe ^^ Perhaps "we love Yuzu" will look less cluttered? Maybe we can have more colours somewhere but I'm out of ideas, perhaps just as a background of the font to add some spice, like the watercolour splashes of the default PH banner but more minimalistic. Or just a big heart at the back lol but it prob won't fit 

design 3 looks like a logo haha. but I'd go with design 2 for interactiveness if we manage to get the plastic badges for attendees to pin their own spot on the map :) or just have a better representation of which countries we're from, because it seems like the journalists can't phantom Yuzu having any "fans" beyond Japan, and our last "We Love Yuzu from All over the World" message didn't get through their heads. I think slightly more specificity in terms of example will drive the point home for them. design 3 does look awesome tho :D 

If I have time over the next few days I'll try to add hearts to the map based on existing statistics, this is the source of the map https://www.123rf.com/photo_51018442_stock-vector-world-map-outline-vector-with-borders-of-provinces-or-states.html, we might need the EPS for a big banner (I don't have illustrator yet though), or just buy the bigger file, or find cheaper better quality alternatives lol. 

I kinda have an aversion to the Mercator projection cuz it makes the northern hemisphere much bigger than it actually is, but if we can find a good quality picture idm using it

I'm torn, on one side I think design 1 can better display the text, on the other I like design 2 because it has Japan roughly in the centre:agree2: but then the text would be smaller...

idk

I also like design 3, it's different and to me looks fresh, but then would there be enough space for the pins? It would work if we could use all the blank spaces to add pins with out flag, but then we would be back to the original issue with flags themselves...

On 9/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, yuzuangel said:

The design doesn't really work well for longer names, though. Unless we break it into two lines or make it small

What about using the standard country codes?

Canada = "CAN", Switzerland = "SUI" etc.

Then every country is just 3 letters :-D

Might be a bit of a struggle though, for people who don't know many country codes OR flags...

But a country code carries more meaning than just blanket "We", at least?

Edit: oh sorry, was catching up on this thread, and now I see the conversation moved past having flags at all, oops ^_^;

(Are country codes a no-no, same as flags? Only, they'd keep the original concept of showing the variety of countries - but clearer and more visible from a distance than maps?)

Hmm, I just thought that another option could be to have the text (whatever we end up choosing) in big semi-transparent letters over the map. That way we can have both big letters and whatever map we prefer. I'd have to give it a try later to find the right balance of transparency, it might be more visible in colors than in b&w though. Maybe. :think:

About the Mercator projection, I know it exaggerates the size of the North, but given that ~90% of satellites are from the N. hemisphere it might be a good thing in this case (so we have more space for the pins/stickers). That being said, I certainly won't fight if people prefer another projection.

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

I'm torn, on one side I think design 1 can better display the text, on the other I like design 2 because it has Japan roughly in the centre:agree2: but then the text would be smaller...

idk

I also like design 3, it's different and to me looks fresh, but then would there be enough space for the pins? It would work if we could use all the blank spaces to add pins with out flag, but then we would be back to the original issue with flags themselves...

ooh didn't notice about Japan being at the centre, that's awesome :D 

Yea the reason I came up with the 2nd layout is precisely because in the 1st layout, Africa is so big in the centre while being relatively empty, so I thought that the 2nd layout will focus the attention better. 

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

Hmm, I just thought that another option could be to have the text (whatever we end up choosing) in big semi-transparent letters over the map. That way we can have both big letters and whatever map we prefer. I'd have to give it a try later to find the right balance of transparency, it might be more visible in colors than in b&w though. Maybe. :think:

About the Mercator projection, I know it exaggerates the size of the North, but given that ~90% of satellites are from the N. hemisphere it might be a good thing in this case (so we have more space for the pins/stickers). That being said, I certainly won't fight if people prefer another projection.

I think semitransparent might be messy, since the map is already quite cluttered with the borders and hearts. Might work though depending on the colour usage and design.

Yea I thought about the pros of Mercator projection too, it was just my perfectionist brain caring too much about accuracy haha. If we get a good high quality map we can use that. 

18 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Thanks everyone for participating in the banner thread and design. It has been really helpful :10742289:

It has come to our attention that the use of certain flags for any reason is actually a huge political issue in many parts of the world. Some Chinese fans have been very anxious about any potential controversy using HK/Taiwan flags might put Yuzu in given that the upcoming Olympics is in Beijing, and he has Chinese sponsors. Yuzu has obviously not endorsed our project so it doesn't make sense that this would affect him but often we can't predict these reactions. And not only in Asia, but flags have different meanings in different regions, and we don't want to make any unintended political statements.

I would never want to do anything that would in any way hurt Yuzu or increase the chances of anyone anywhere to hurt Yuzu for any reason..so @robin and @4Nessie and @Salior and @Yuzu_legend and @Veveco and I spent the last day or so thinking of solutions that don't involve flags. We mostly chatted about this through PM because the situation seemed sensitive, but if you would like to be added to the discussion, please PM me!

One idea that we came up with was that we could do a big map, kinda like the demographic map we tweeted, and hang it somewhere in the arena. People can drop pins onto an online map signifying where they're from/their hometown, and we can add a small heart on the map for each person. We can bring the map to competitions with stickers, and people can keep adding to the map by placing stickers on the locations where they're from. 

The map can say "WE LOVE YUZU/ALL OVER THE WORLD" on top and bottom (and maybe something about Planet Hanyu as well). And maybe individual handheld banners can also have the same map and we can hand out large "pin" stickers that you can place on the region you're from when you hold it up.

Would love to hear all of your thoughts or any other ideas that anyone may have :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg: :tumblr_inline_n2pje39gH11qdlkyg:

Well, that's a shame. I know the Planet doesn't encourage politics so all I'm going to say is that the very fact we even have to have this discussion and/or give using the flags a second thought, is an indication of things being very, very wrong in places,  and also that innocent people are suffering for no good reason. 

That aside, what about going back to words? "Hong Kong fans for Yuzu" , "Chinese fans for Yuzu" etc - would that work? I have no objections to carrying "Canuck fans for Yuzu"...hopefully he'd know what a Canuck is...