WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA

yuzuangel

If you would like to participate, please fill out this form with your country and what event you'll be at!

--

Hi all, let's discuss our banner idea here. 

I sourced around Alibaba and a seller gave me a price of $0.91 USD per banner for unlimited designs. 2' x 1' hand-held digitally printed banners on polyester.

Example provided by seller:

Spoiler

wuPChf3.jpg

I think that is quite affordable and we can print flags for people who want them on Twitter etc. My only concern is the waste. It seems wasteful to print hundreds of polyester flags; I'm going to ask if they have cotton options but it's probably more expensive.

Here are the designs I already made for ACI. It takes about a minute of finding high res photos and adjusting to add in another flag.

Spoiler

SUJb6Kc.jpg

5E4naM6.jpg

ixb8lwY.jpg

hXVdDaz.jpg

SiKu156.jpg

10Jz2jh.jpg

PJbqZuV.jpg

13w8CuC.jpg

E7FdleG.jpg

bSYh2si.jpg

uQbCdHe.jpg

I'm happy to take design suggestions too or for people to post their own designs, but I do think we should go with:

1. Easy to read block lettering
  2. BIG font
  3. No/few images to keep things easy to read and also cheaper to print and also keep it a design that as many people as possible will want to carry. Something fancy may not appeal to everyone.

I think maybe adding the actual country name is next could be a good idea as well. BUT the more text we have the smaller our font will need to be or the more bigger the banner.

Anyone can print their own banners with these images (but afaik for ACI no one did). 

Quoting this here.

3 hours ago, Salior said:

That'd be awesome <3 

Just for the fun of it, I've came up with a few designs too lol. But I'd imagine this would be much more expensive.... 

Perhaps we can release the soft copy designs so everyone can print from their home country if necessary? Although it'll probably be a logistical nightmare... Maybe centralised order collection for simpler designs will be better 

Here's the soft copy for my design (psd) https://mega.nz/#!zqR02KhJ!c7QIrF3gXARV7-H2Fr9r4wc8pjSKEe85mDoHdqJUWOw 

605bsn

yzq9i4

19 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

OK, like many I woke up still very salty this morning. I'm also thinking that maybe we ought to shift the focus of our flag campaign to make it aimed at the ISU rather than at Yuzu. I mean, surely he knows that he's adored all over the world. I think we can have more impact and get more press attention (and I'm speaking as a retired journalist, here) by targeting the ISU. 

So, instead of "We love you, Yuzu," I'm thinking of a message like #YuzuIsGlobal or #HanyuNation along with each of our various flags. I'm also thinking that, in addition to making signs for ourselves, we could print a bunch of extra signs with the images of every country's flag that might plausibly have fans at the various competitions. Then we could hand them out to anyone who wanted one and agreed to hold it up during the competition. That way we could enlist folks who aren't on the Planet to spread the message. I'm willing to help underwrite such a campaign if satellites like the idea and if costs can be kept reasonable. 

16 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

1. The bolded is a great idea. Actually the yellow signs at ACI were handed out by some Chinese fans who printed thousands of them and handed them out to everyone. I don't really know what material they're made of but it would be cool if we could make something similar to keep costs down. I still haven't figured out what to search for though. 

2. I think something clear like We Love Yuzu is as powerful as #YuzuisGlobal or #HanyuNation, maybe even more so, because it packs a punch and is more clear and easy to read.

I like this but I think we should keep it simple and easy to read. The camera doesn't linger much on any one banner in the crowd. That's why I tried to make it as simple as possible with block font and no images. Replacing the heart with the country could work tho.

P.S. Let's create a thread.

17 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I sourced around Alibaba and a seller gave me a price of $0.91 USD per banner for unlimited designs. 2' x 1' hand-held digitally printed banners on polyester.

Reveal hidden contents

wuPChf3.jpg

I think that is quite affordable and we can print flags for people who want them on Twitter etc. My only concern is the waste. It seems wasteful to print hundreds of polyester flags; I'm going to ask if they have cotton options but it's probably more expensive.

Here are the designs I already made for ACI. It takes about a minute of finding high res photos and adjusting to add in another flag.

Hide contents

SUJb6Kc.jpg

5E4naM6.jpg

ixb8lwY.jpg

hXVdDaz.jpg

SiKu156.jpg

10Jz2jh.jpg

PJbqZuV.jpg

13w8CuC.jpg

E7FdleG.jpg

bSYh2si.jpg

uQbCdHe.jpg

I'm happy to take design suggestions too or for people to post their own designs, but I do think we should go with:

2. BIG font
  3. No/few images to keep things easy to read and also cheaper to print and also keep it a design that as many people as possible will want to carry. Something fancy may not appeal to everyone.

I think maybe adding the actual country name is next could be a good idea as well. BUT the more text we have the smaller our font will need to be or the more bigger the banner.

Anyone can print their own banners with these images (but afaik for ACI no one did). 

These are great. Easy to read, and they get the basic idea across -- that he has support all over the world. I think we can organize a system for printing them in advance for satellites who are going to competitions. A spreadsheet would probably suffice. And we can discuss whether to get additional ones to distribute on-site. 

24 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Reveal hidden contents

wuPChf3.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

SUJb6Kc.jpg

5E4naM6.jpg

ixb8lwY.jpg

hXVdDaz.jpg

SiKu156.jpg

10Jz2jh.jpg

PJbqZuV.jpg

13w8CuC.jpg

E7FdleG.jpg

bSYh2si.jpg

uQbCdHe.jpg

2. BIG font

I love this design! It would be great if everyone could get his own banner, even outside of PH. 

As for printing, I couldn't find anything cheap around here, but I am able to invest and have my own banner printed, if group printing would be too complicated.

44 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I love this design! It would be great if everyone could get his own banner, even outside of PH. 

As for printing, I couldn't find anything cheap around here, but I am able to invest and have my own banner printed, if group printing would be too complicated.

Thanks! Yeah, I agree. I'm talking to some sellers in China thru alibaba. I think if they can give us <$1/banner printed then that would be a good deal and we can print more (altho that would still add up quick). 

Should we open a mini design contest haha 

Anyways my initial concern with the original design is that from far away, the first thing that I notice was a repetition of "WE   YUZU", which didn't make much sense to me until I noticed the flags, and took me about 20 seconds to connect the dots. Also I regret to say that I didn't recognise some of the flags rip. I guess it depends on how hard we want to drive home the point that we are from different countries. If our goal is to attract the media's attention then we might need to reduce the "connect the dot" time cuz I can imagine them completely ignoring it when they don't get what's going on. 

I've simplified my design down to this, perhaps with this design Yuzu fans can reuse the flags for other skaters as well? I mean we don't have to be a charity for other skater's fans, but this seem like something we can use for all competitions. 

For interest, I guess we can open a "pre-order" form for distribution to twitter etc, basically among known Yuzu fans who have followers and they do go to competitions themselves? Just to gauge the interest 

snpjva.png

2i8y9n.png

amylxl.png

Just now, yuzuangel said:

@4Nessie but so far I don't know how many people are interested? I guess SC is a long way off but we should probably make sure people are interested first.

I know, and I am not going only to Torino, so there is still time for me. Just wanted to express my support for the idea.

1 minute ago, Salior said:

I've simplified my design down to this, perhaps with this design Yuzu fans can reuse the flags for other skaters as well? I mean we don't have to be a charity for other skater's fans, but this seem like something we can use for all competitions. 

I like your idea but I think we should definitely say YUZU (or Yuzuru). If we don't, it will not drive the point across...at all, I think.

I think we could definitely combine the two?

• yuzuangel changed the title to WE ♥ YUZU FROM (COUNTRY) BANNER IDEA
3 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I like your idea but I think we should definitely say YUZU (or Yuzuru). If we don't, it will not drive the point across...at all, I think.

yea I thought about that, just that I'd imagine if people wave these flags when Yuzu is skating then it's clear that these are for him?

Also I thought that this might help dispel the idea that "Yuzu fans only care about Yuzu" stereotype by showing that Yuzu supporters also support everyone, though it's a bonus at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, Salior said:

Should we open a mini design contest haha 

Anyways my initial concern with the original design is that from far away, the first thing that I notice was a repetition of "WE   YUZU", which didn't make much sense to me until I noticed the flags, and took me about 20 seconds to connect the dots. Also I regret to say that I didn't recognise some of the flags rip. I guess it depends on how hard we want to drive home the point that we are from different countries.  

For interest, I guess we can open a "pre-order" form for distribution to twitter etc, basically among known Yuzu fans who have followers and they do go to competitions themselves? Just to gauge the interest 

snpjva.png

2i8y9n.png

amylxl.png

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

I agree with @yuzuangel. There should definitely be a big YUZU stated somewhere. I know many other skaters have our support, but the main idea is to clearly state that Yuzuru is the star not only in Japan, but worldwide, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Salior said:

yea I thought about that, just that I'd imagine if people wave these flags when Yuzu is skating then it's clear that these are for him?

Also I thought that this might help dispel the idea that "Yuzu fans only care about Yuzu" stereotype by showing that Yuzu supporters also support everyone, though it's a bonus at this stage. 

While nice, I'm 100% sure it will be taken as "Oh, look at all those general skating fans from all over the world, how nice" rather than "Yuzu has fans all over the world!" To be fair, I personally don't care if people stereotype us at only caring about Yuzu (or caring about Yuzu the most).

2 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I agree with @yuzuangel. There should definitely be a big YUZU stated somewhere. I know many other skaters have our support, but the main idea is to clearly state that Yuzuru is the star not only in Japan, but worldwide, isn't it?

I've started a google form. If you're interested, please fill it out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KEbFgrJw8b6Slue8bOr33pWL-GUdgYbnTzca8plKqyA/edit?usp=sharing

33 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

While I understand that the initial goal was to "prove that Yuzu not only has fans in Japan", from a 3rd person's perspective this does seem a little fanatical, and I'm sure Yuzu would prefer it if we are seen as figure skating fans rather than worshipping him like an idol 

I was thinking from a completely ignorant foreigner journalist's point of view and what effect would our actions have on them, since they are our initial target "audience" anyway

Should the idea be "Yuzu fans are trying to show that Yuzu is loved from a lot of countries", which the stark contrast & absence in other skaters' will make it seem like "Why tf can't these fans make a similar banner for other skaters too? They deserve it"?

Or "figure skating fans are trying to show that the Japanese superstar is not just loved in Japan but all around the world"? 

For sure we cannot pre-empt all the anti arguments, but this is just something I thought Yuzu would appreciate as well - knowing that our attention and respect is not just for him, but for everyone.

For me I think that the 2nd premise is a healthier one.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

If you would like to participate, please fill out this form with your country and what event you'll be at!

--

Hide contents

wuPChf3.jpg

Hide contents

SUJb6Kc.jpg

5E4naM6.jpg

ixb8lwY.jpg

hXVdDaz.jpg

SiKu156.jpg

10Jz2jh.jpg

PJbqZuV.jpg

13w8CuC.jpg

E7FdleG.jpg

bSYh2si.jpg

uQbCdHe.jpg

2. BIG font

Think this design says it all.  ❤️