Everything posted by rockstaryuzu
-
General Yuzuru Chat
There's still 4 and a half hours to go til midnight where I am, but I'll send my wishes now: Happy New Year! My wish is for health, happiness, and peace in all our hearts, no matter what tribulations come our way. Let's keep keeping on, until the miseries are over and happier days have come. Love you all but especially Yuzu.
-
General Yuzuru Chat
Thanks for the reminder to buy some soba! The Dutch (I'm half-Dutch on my dad's side) New Year's tradition is oliebollen, which are a kind of currant donut made at home. Although they're delicious, soba is LOT easier to make so soba it is! I think it's great that Hanyuconomy has come to Nagano. And has anyone else noticed that Yuzu always seems to inspire a lot of shrine visits, too?
-
General Yuzuru Chat
In the first image in your photoshop, the one you made into your avatar, he could possibly be performing a rising uppercut (similar to #3 here, but these are badly done examples ) , which is done with the tsuka at the top and the hands in a similar position to the one here. But he could just as easily be imagining another weapon in use. Samurai were by no means limited to only using the sword. Tbh, I didn't get an image of a battle from that step sequence - at least not like a hand-to-hand one. More like a commander directing the troops with arm gestures, or the overall impression of two armies colliding on the battlefield
-
General Yuzuru Chat
I've studied kenjutsu a very tiny amount, and the katana is a blade where both hands grip the tsuka (i.e. the handle) most of the time. If you think about that, Yuzu's 'battle' moves might become clearer to see in that StpSeq.
-
General Yuzuru Chat
I probably read a poorly-translated piece, because it literally said they were in the same program, but the writer could easily have meant just the distance-learning aspect is the same, not the subject matter. In any case, I have been well corrected for my misconception now, thank you.
-
General Yuzuru Chat
had me laughing in the first 10 seconds with '...and I used to be straight until I laid eyes on Yuzuru Hanyu" but some of those comments sound mighty familiar...like the guy was reading our event thread out loud LOL! I guess we all have the same reaction to Yuzu.
-
General Yuzuru Chat
- General Yuzuru Chat
Too bad. I was hoping Yuzu was recruiting reinforcements for his revolution against biased judging.- General Yuzuru Chat
This sounds like what they're saying is that the rule is that there must be at least 2 revolutions in a basic position on each foot, in the spin, before variations can be added. In other words, they're dinging Yuzu's score because he didn't use a basic position for at least 2 revolutions on the second foot? I don't get it. And the English grammar of this rule is atrocious and almost malignantly ambiguous.- General Yuzuru Chat
The article I read said it was the same online program of Human Information Sciences that Yuzu did.- General Yuzuru Chat
Okay that instantly made me think of this performance, especially the first 30 seconds: but I honestly can't picture Yuzu skating to something like this. He could probably do a really good job but at some level it's an energy mismatch. Yuzu's energy is a lot brighter and higher, not languid.- General Yuzuru Chat
same program as Yuzu, too. I wonder if she will also do a thesis geared towards removing subjectivity from figure skating judging- General Yuzuru Chat
Me too, but why did my post from March suddenly resurface? Incidentally, I still have lots of those badges left. If anyone wants one, customised or not, DM me and I'll send you the deets.- General Yuzuru Chat
Wow, that headline REALLY highlights just how diametrically opposed the RusFed and JSF attitudes towards judging their best athletes are.- If It Wasn't for Yuzuru, I'd Never Have....
- General Yuzuru Chat
I just realized that he must have gone and searched out a white wall at Nationals that he could use specifically for this...guess he wants to be consistent in his 2020 videos.- General Yuzuru Chat
Perhaps because of his experience being called upon to be that icon of hope for 3/11, Yuzu is quicker to recognize the need for such an icon now and knows that he is in a position to be one such. One could hope more people with his kind of influence would follow suit.- General Yuzuru Chat
All that is dependent on what kind of visa they have for entry to Canada, though.- General Yuzuru Chat
Same- General Yuzuru Chat
Whoever said that has something wrong with their ears. About Yuzu training alone and his reaction to it: remember that at TCC, he works with a group of other skaters, many of whom have become good training comrades and friends. He's got to be missing all that, not just having coaches. Think of how emotional yuzu was when he found out Javi was retiring and wasn't going to be training with him anymore. Now think of how hard it must have hit when Yuzu realized that Jun, Jason, Evgenia, Katerina, Conrad, Joseph etc suddenly were not going to be by his side training every day, for the foreseeable future. Like, seriously, does no one realize he likes his training mates and probably misses them horribly? I'm sure he'd be back at TCC like a shot the second it's safe.- General Yuzuru Chat
One of the things you learn (by osmosis) as an athlete, if you are paying attention well, is how to coach, especially if you've had great coaches train you,as Yuzu has had. If he decides to become a coach, I think he will be very successful indeed.- General Yuzuru Chat
That philosophy only works for translations between two languages that are both definitive in grammatical structure and word meaning. But not every language is designed to be that way. Japanese is one of those ones known for not necessarily lending itself to word-by-word translation. But even in translations between two languages that allow word-for-word translation, you can get funny results. For example French: La plume de ma tante est fini. English: 1. My aunt's pen is done. 2. The pen of my aunt is finished. 3. My aunt's feather is done. 4. The feather from my aunt is finished. 5. The pen from my older female family friend is broken and so on, depending on the intent and slang of the speaker. The translator should never twist the words they're translating. But they should definitely consider all possible meanings and try to give the best sense possible of what the speaker wants to convey- General Yuzuru Chat
This is exactly what I feel about Yuzu every time he skates in every program he does. Other skaters perform their programs. Yuzu goes out on the ice and simply is, with his skating becoming an expression of his existence. There's no barrier between Yuzu, the person, and Yuzu, the skater, if that makes sense. For other athletes, skating is an overlay on top of their real selves. IMO for Yuzu, skating is his real self.- General Yuzuru Chat
...upon further review, the way the slick surface of the pants reflects the light, thereby highlighting Yuzu's lines during moves like the Ina Bauer or spread eagle, is rather brilliant. No more 'trash bag pants' for me! From this day forward, I name them: The Gleaming Pants of Ascension (GPA for short) because satellites ascend when they see them in action- General Yuzuru Chat
Anyway, satellites, I probably won't be able to stop by again until after the SP, so I'll just leave this here: Merry Christmas! Also, try to remember to breathe at least once during Yuzu's program...I'd hate to come back to a Planet-full of dead fanyus. I mean, Yuzu will knock'em dead anyway but there's no point in hastening the process. - General Yuzuru Chat