Which GP(s) do you think Yuzu will choose?

Which GP(s) do you think Yuzu will choose?   

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm. Considering that Nathan is about to enter his second year of a STEM degree at a tough school, maybe we shouldn't take it as a given that he'll be at any GPs....he might opt to only do the essential comps necessary to keep his standing and no more. 

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Hmm. Considering that Nathan is about to enter his second year of a STEM degree at a tough school, maybe we shouldn't take it as a given that he'll be at any GPs....he might opt to only do the essential comps necessary to keep his standing and no more. 

He recently confirmed he will do full season.

1 hour ago, anski said:

Skate Canada and NHK Trophy are my top guesses, and Rostelecom my third guess/guess in case he doesn’t pick both Canada and NHK. Though I’d love for him to go to France for my own personal convenience :xD:

I also would love France as I plan to go ;) but probably it won’t happen. 

13 minutes ago, nkroolik said:

I also would love France as I plan to go ;) but probably it won’t happen. 

At least the final will be in Italy! Altho prices will likely be extortionate so I don’t think I will be able to go anyway :1:

Did you guys already buy tickets for the event you think he'll be at? I wonder if it's worth spending the money on a ticket to Skate Canada - I imagine it'll take a lot of luck to get a ticket afterwards if it's announced that he's going to be there.  Same with Autumn Classic. 

I think he'll do NHK and either Cup of China or Rostelecom.

4 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Did you guys already buy tickets for the event you think he'll be at? I wonder if it's worth spending the money on a ticket to Skate Canada - I imagine it'll take a lot of luck to get a ticket afterwards if it's announced that he's going to be there.  Same with Autumn Classic. 

I think he'll do NHK and either Cup of China or Rostelecom.

I just bought my SCI ticket last night (oof! Same week as I'll be buying Worlds - RIP my credit card) and I noticed that it's a fairly small venue  - seats around 6800 - and that there's nothing closer to the ice left than row M (rows start from A at rinkside). If you're thinking about it at all, get your tickets soon. 

The plus side of that is, there isn't really any bad seats. No matter where you are, you should be fairly close to the ice. 

I was able to Google some photos of the venue (Prospera Place) interior and it's got maybe twice the seats that last year's ACI venue has.  

My understanding of the GP entry protocol in order of priority are:

1. Seeds are taken from worlds results.  1st, 2nd, 3rd can't meet.  4th, 5th, 6th can't meet.  But anyone from top 3 can meet anyone from 4-6.

2. Host nation preference 

3. Skater wishes in order of worlds finish.

For number 3, I'm not clear on whether the higher finisher gets priority on both his choices or if it's more like a taking turns on picks thing.   But since host nation preference takes priority, I imagine it's rarely relevant.

There's also the X-factor of how much does ISU try to orchestrate things? It makes sense for ISU to put Yuzu at the events where the host nation has the weakest local draws.

We're 99.99% sure that Nathan is getting Skate America.

Ironically, after that, the only event that I have doubts about wanting Yuzu the most is the one in Japan.  It looks like they generally support the national champion and they seem to want to support Shoma.  They also know that they don't need Yuzu to sell out.  

Will Nathan and Vincent not even bother requesting NHK since they'll assume Yuzu will be there?

I think Vincent benefits most from picking Skate Canada and Cup of China.  Canada because it's the 2nd shortest travel time for him. Cup of China because that's the country that he's most popular in outside the US.  But any event with any sense of business would rather have Yuzu so not sure if Vincent's wishes are even relevant in this case.

How much is the host nation going to try to protect their own? Japan doesn't seem to care.  Russia also seems to have no qualms about putting Kolyada against strong competition.  Boyang is more likely to beat Vincent than Yuzu or Nathan but I can't imagine that China would deny Yuzu considering how popular he is there.  Would they reject Nathan to protect Boyang?  

Yuzu seems to love Russia and Canada is the easiest commute for him.  The 2 events are also spread out, though I'm not sure why it's an advantage as opposed to back to back events if one event is in his home country.  I would think that Cup of China/Rostelecom and NHK would be fairly convenient if Ghislain travels with him the whole way - he could just go straight to Japan after his first event.  

In conclusion: I have no idea where Yuzu will end up :P

eta:

If Nathan has to make arrangements with his professors no matter what his second event is, maybe he'd rather just choose the shortest commute which means Skate Canada for him.    

Last year, Shoma requested Skate Canada and NHK, though I don't know why he wanted Canada and we don't know if JSF will try to separate him from Yuzu.  After all, they had Kaori and Satoko both do Skate America last year.   Shoma might want to do Skate Canada if he's superstitious since he's won it 2 years in a row now. I think Kolyada just chose the 2 events that are closest to him, which this year would be Russia and IDF, assuming that China wants Boyang.  Boyang's done Skate America 2 of the last 3 years.

This is my best guess so far.

Skate America: Nathan, Boyang

Skate Canada: Shoma, Nathan

IDF: Kolyada, Vincent

Cup of China: Boyang, Vincent 

Rostelecom: Kolyada, Yuzu

NHK: Shoma, Yuzu

eta 2: Shoma can get into the final with 2 seconds.  JSF has good reason to believe that he and Yuzu will do no worse than 2nd so there isn't actually much reason to protect them.

14 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

My understanding of the GP entry protocol in order of priority are:

1. Seeds are taken from worlds results.  1st, 2nd, 3rd can't meet.  4th, 5th, 6th can't meet.  But anyone from top 3 can meet anyone from 4-6.

2. Host nation preference 

3. Skater wishes in order of worlds finish.

For number 3, I'm not clear on whether the higher finisher gets priority on both his choices or if it's more like a taking turns on picks thing.   But since host nation preference takes priority, I imagine it's rarely relevant.

There's also the X-factor of how much does ISU try to orchestrate things? It makes sense for ISU to put Yuzu at the events where the host nation has the weakest local draws.

We're 99.99% sure that Nathan is getting Skate America.

Ironically, after that, the only event that I have doubts about wanting Yuzu the most is the one in Japan.  It looks like they generally support the national champion and they seem to want to support Shoma.  They also know that they don't need Yuzu to sell out.  

Will Nathan and Vincent not even bother requesting NHK since they'll assume Yuzu will be there?

I think Vincent benefits most from picking Skate Canada and Cup of China.  Canada because it's the 2nd shortest travel time for him. Cup of China because that's the country that he's most popular in outside the US.  But any event with any sense of business would rather have Yuzu so not sure if Vincent's wishes are even relevant in this case.

How much is the host nation going to try to protect their own? Japan doesn't seem to care.  Russia also seems to have no qualms about putting Kolyada against strong competition.  Boyang is more likely to beat Vincent than Yuzu or Nathan but I can't imagine that China would deny Yuzu considering how popular he is there.  Would they reject Nathan to protect Boyang?  

Yuzu seems to love Russia and Canada is the easiest commute for him.  The 2 events are also spread out, though I'm not sure why it's an advantage as opposed to back to back events if one event is in his home country.  I would think that Cup of China/Rostelecom and NHK would be fairly convenient if Ghislain travels with him the whole way - he could just go straight to Japan after his first event.  

In conclusion: I have no idea where Yuzu will end up :P

eta:

If Nathan has to make arrangements with his professors no matter what his second event is, maybe he'd rather just choose the shortest commute which means Skate Canada for him.    

Last year, Shoma requested Skate Canada and NHK, though I don't know why he wanted Canada and we don't know if JSF will try to separate him from Yuzu.  After all, they had Kaori and Satoko both do Skate America last year.   Shoma might want to do Skate Canada if he's superstitious since he's won it 2 years in a row now. I think Kolyada just chose the 2 events that are closest to him, which this year would be Russia and IDF, assuming that China wants Boyang.  Boyang's done Skate America 2 of the last 3 years.

This is my best guess so far.

Skate America: Nathan, Boyang

Skate Canada: Shoma, Nathan

IDF: Kolyada, Vincent

Cup of China: Boyang, Vincent 

Rostelecom: Kolyada, Yuzu

NHK: Shoma, Yuzu

eta 2: Shoma can get into the final with 2 seconds.  JSF has good reason to believe that he and Yuzu will do no worse than 2nd so there isn't actually much reason to protect them.

I just can't see Yuzu wanting to do two competitions back -to- back like that, then the GPF, and then JNats, all in a 4-5 week time frame. Seems like way too much. I think he'll opt for at least one earlier competition just to get the break. 

If he does Skate America, I'll eat my hat...and book the cheapest flight to Vegas I can find. 

37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I just can't see Yuzu wanting to do two competitions back -to- back like that, then the GPF, and then JNats, all in a 4-5 week time frame. Seems like way too much. I think he'll opt for at least one earlier competition just to get the break. 

If he does Skate America, I'll eat my hat...and book the cheapest flight to Vegas I can find. 

But this year, Nathan's pick gets priority.  Everyone seems to agree that Nathan will pick whatever works best with school.  The first question is, what would Nathan consider best for his schedule?  NHK is the only event other than SA that would allow him to miss fewer classes but it's also the one that will least likely want him.  If Nathan does ask for NHK, how much is JSF willing to play ball?  

If NHK isn't an option, then you would think Nathan would pick whatever event would cause him to miss the fewest classes.  That's Skate Canada.  Then we have to ask, is Skate Canada willing to fight to get Yuzu? Isn't Nathan one of the most popular male skaters in Canada.  If Shoma also picks Skate Canada, would they consider that enough of a draw for the event?  If Yuzu really doesn't want to do back to back event, he can do any of the other events.