It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

25 minutes ago, Xen said:

Um I don't think it's good nor it will help? I actually don't like this move at all because the move seems very haphazard and not though out at all. And I think so far all the options we listed, maybe except for TCC, are just PR based ideas to prevent points dropping more rather than actual real fixes since it's too late to fix.

In what way PR and borderline URs among Eteri skaters might help Shoma.

I'm sorry, now I  realised you might not see your second point when your comment I quoted isn't fully showed. I'm stupid.:tumblr_inline_mzx8wwBqAg1r8msi5:

Hmm, I don't think this is that much not thought out? At least he gives himself some options. But it definitely sounds like desperate (and too late in off-season) decision. Like what Wakaba would do, if she didn't won silver medal at worlds.

9 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Xen meant "public relations", not "pre rotation".

It's about old comment and Xen's points why Shoma actually may go to Eteri and I quoted it and marked second point, but you can't see it when quoted comment isn't fully extended. ONE BIG MISUNDERSTANDING I'M SORRY:smiley-scared003:

The possibility of the judges deciding to ‘notice’ the flaws in his skating was always there, exactly like Satoko, and once American contenders popped up lo and behold the scales fell from their eyes.  If they’d picked on it when he was 15/16 (sounding like an old record here I know) he would perhaps have had the impetus to up sticks and find a new coach earlier.  Very few 16 year olds have the self awareness to see their own flaws and resolve to sort them out which is why the lax state of judging is so harmful.   On the other hand  he seems like a bit of a home person to me, a very familiar thing as there are several in my peer group.  People like that tend to make the big moves in their late 20s if at all and quite a few stick to their own familiar patch, their comfortable old friends, family, haunts.  Which is all fine if you’re not an elite athlete - the heptathlete Katerina  Johnson - Thompson stayed a bit too long with her long time coach and suffered for it.

8 hours ago, Paskud said:

Well, if Shoma says so, I respect it.

Rival at your rink works imo when you don't have the same goal. Nate doesn't have anybody with actual quads in Raf team. Jason doesn't have anybody at TCC with who he will need to fight for spot before 2022 olympics. The same way... I'm not Shoma fan, so I'm not sure, but I think he also had rink mates. Mako for example has the same coach. Rink mates. Not rivals. Because when goal, for example gold medal, is the same, you have P/C saying that their happy family at Gadbois was destroyed the moment V/M came.

Btw, Shoma thinks he needs rink rival and I respect this. But anybody else implying that he can't do single step forward without someone pushing him... it reminds me about "Yuzuru needs someone because Javier's retiring" talk from last year and I don't like it. At the end of the day it may be helpful, but imo it's not our place to speculate.

It doesn't have to be a direct rival, just has to be someone who can ignite that 'wow, that guy's working hard. I'd better try harder, I don't want to be left behind' reaction. If Shoma's the senior guy ( as in, gets the top results) at his current rink, then where's his daily motivation to go the extra mile? It doesn't have to be someone who does a bunch of quads necessarily. It could be someone who always puts in that extra hour after everyone else goes home or the guy who can legpress 10 pounds more than him. Just someone who's always nipping at his heels to get better. 

I also didn't like the 'Yuzu needs a Javi replacement' talk, and that's not really what I'm getting at with Shoma. He's obviously motivated in the larger sense. But no one grows by always remaining in the same environment.

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Training with the girls won't help": But we're forgetting that these girls, most of them, have quads. All of Eteri's snr men have quads. And Shoma does not have textbook technique- far from it, for flip and lutz, he's closer to Eteri's camp when it comes to PR and borderline UR too. 

In all fairness, I made that comment based on my own experience with male athletes, some observations I've read about how figure skating technique can differ between men and women, and some assumptions relating to cultural attitudes I've witnessed Japanese men have towards competition with women. 

So I could be completely off base there. But I definitely don't think Shoma's going to benefit from learning that awful arm-rotating , no-height, skipping-stone style jump technique so characteristic of the Eteri girls. 

10 hours ago, Paskud said:

Well, if Shoma says so, I respect it.

Rival at your rink works imo when you don't have the same goal. Nate doesn't have anybody with actual quads in Raf team. Jason doesn't have anybody at TCC with who he will need to fight for spot before 2022 olympics. The same way... I'm not Shoma fan, so I'm not sure, but I think he also had rink mates. Mako for example has the same coach. Rink mates. Not rivals. Because when goal, for example gold medal, is the same, you have P/C saying that their happy family at Gadbois was destroyed the moment V/M came.

Btw, Shoma thinks he needs rink rival and I respect this. But anybody else implying that he can't do single step forward without someone pushing him... it reminds me about "Yuzuru needs someone because Javier's retiring" talk from last year and I don't like it. At the end of the day it may be helpful, but imo it's not our place to speculate.

Yeah, my reason no 1 is the main reason.  Shoma has been with his coach since he was 5, so, he needs a change of scene, he knows it. The comparison is made with Jason cos Jason left his long time coach & has stated the differences between his previous training situation to TCC.

As far as I know, Shoma is top senior male skater at his rink(similar to Jason previously), I have only seen Mihoko sensei at the boards with a young female skater.

On Nathan's side, Brezina is also training under Rafael. He can do 2 different quads if I remember correctly. Then of course in-coming  is Gogolev. Though I think it's unlikely Nathan's camp & USFS will agree to a direct rival for 2022 OG gold coming in.

Yuzu & Javi were actual rivals at the same rink. They were taking turns winning WC, 2014 to 2017. It doesnt work for everybody but it can work.

Added  : Shoma has announced his choreographers for next season :-

SP= Shae LB.  LP=David Wilson

So, it looks closer to a Canada coach, not necessarily TCC.

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

August?!:shocked:

This is...NOT what I was expecting :facepalm:😆 unexpectedly "tame" choice, and he has already worked with both

noooo no Daniil I'm disappointed😅it also means 99,9% no Eteri sob LOL sob

and suddenly I have...half a fear...

But SLB is IMO a good choice for him, I have my reservation on DW and a whole free skate (IB in the chsq incoming?🤔)

August for choreo is IMO a bit late, especially since it's afaik not his habit...if he has already decided for choreographers IMO it would have been better to just go, have choreo roughly done and then go for those training camps (tho I hope he will have the new coach soon, things like paperwork and lodgings need to be settled too, for Shoma and whoever is going with him)

Also...no recylcing uh😅 but keeping one program, since he's not gonna get choreo till August, at this point would have been understandable (I guess a new coach wouldn't like to work on the choreo from another?)

ETA: also the choice of two NA choreographers makes a move to Russia very unlikely IMO, JackG stirred things for nothing...

At this point it is also unlikely Stephane is in the mix (it would have been easier to get choreo from him directly, especially so late), I guess USA or Canada and maybe some other European coach (tho I don't see why he would be going to a less reknown coach) or somewhere in Japan are more likely...